Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would be so kind, please have a look at my collection & wishlist and answer the following two questions:

1. What games might I like but apparently do not know about?

2. For Christmas list purposes, what readily available games (off my wishlist or not) should I ask for? In other words, if you had to pick one, what would it be?

Thanks much in advance.

About me: I like heavier games with minimal randomness. I prefer games with player interaction. I am a big fan of 18xx / Age of Steam / Winsome Games (Pampas Railroads, Wabash Cannonball, etc.). I don't care much about a game's appearance as long as it's functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
You should probably just scan clearclaw's list of highly-rated games. But I'll still throw out Magna Grecia as brain-burning goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648

It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have perused several geeks' ratings including clearclaw's. Still, I thought I would see if there were other suggestions. Thanks for your's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Martin Wallace's upcoming games might be up your alley. After the Flood and Steel Driver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1copse wrote:

I have only glanced at this before. I will have to look more thoroughly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Looks like Martin Wallace's upcoming games might be up your alley. After the Flood and Steel Driver

I love the games in the series that Steel Driver is based on. The no memory idea, however, seems to remove a lot of the game. So, I am basically just going to wait and see with that one. I haven't yet read about After the Flood. I guess I should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think based on the games you like, you will love Indonesia. Just enough moving parts to keep your brain working and a good amount of player interaction. Each game will definitely evolve differently based on the group think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised that I didn't see Notre Dame given some of your other preferences. I'd check out Topherr's massive review where he compares it to Puerto Rico and Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
I think based on the games you like, you will love Indonesia. Just enough moving parts to keep your brain working and a good amount of player interaction. Each game will definitely evolve differently based on the group think.

Indonesia is one I have thought about in the past. I just couldn't get a good feel for in from the reviews I read at the time and with its price tag it wasn't one I wanted to take a flier on. I'll go give it another look.

If I do decide to buy it, I am going to tell my wife (a Husker) that I have to because one of her fellow Huskers said I should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I was surprised that I didn't see Notre Dame given some of your other preferences. I'd check out Topherr's massive review where he compares it to Puerto Rico and Caylus.

I have played Notre Dame, but found it too light and random for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:

hmmm...maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations is currently my favorite (after 2 plays, anyway) heavy-ish euro with no randomness. Take a look and see if it's something you'd enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Have you looked at your Personalized Recommendations'(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/thorndor/recommendations)? According to them you should look at:

Stephenson's Rocket
Indonesia
Fresh Fish
Santiago
Antiquity

And there is Clearclaw's 1825 Unit 1 and one of my favorites 18EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I thought of when I saw your post was the aforementioned Wealth of Nations. You might also consider Container and maybe Napoleon's Triumph. I saw where you rated Blokus fairly high, so you might want take a look at the abstract games in the GIPF series (GIPF, DVONN, YINSH, TZAAR, ZÈRTZ, and PÜNCT)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play Go. That should keep you occupied for the rest of your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
The first game I thought of when I saw your post was the aforementioned Wealth of Nations. You might also consider Container and maybe Napoleon's Triumph.

Agreed. I didn't see any wargames in your profile, throndor, so I didn't suggest NT, but it's a fantastic, no-luck wargame.

As an aside, I've Container on order and am looking forward to trying it out. Good to see it recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Feucht
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out First Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
Talltim wrote:

hmmm...maybe...

You really do want to try Brass: Lancashire. It is so up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
Let's say you're the second one on the person track. You have no money and you want to do one of two actions. Both actions end up on the same "block" and the first person chooses that block. Bingo, bad luck.

I would only call that bad luck if the other player chose randomly, as per drawing a card or rolling a die. If they took the action you wanted to improve their position or hurt yours, that's just good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the recommendations. I now have some new games to investigate and I have moved some of the ones on my wishlist up a few spots. So, when my family members ask me what I want for Christmas or birthdays or such I will have a clearer answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Here's my take:

Easy to Find: Leonardo da Vinci--Given your love of Caylus, I suggest you check out Leo. An interesting variant of the worker-placement mechanic, marginally lighter than Caylus.

RA--Best of the auction games, IMO. There is more going on here than is apparent with the first play. Extremely clever and tactical.

Container--Neat "closed-economy" game with a lot of player interaction.

Hacienda--Kramer-designed tile game. There is luck in the card-draw, but doesn't adversely influence gameplay.

King of Siam--Great area-majority game with an historical theme.

Hard to Find: Die Handler--Fantastic buying/selling/shipping game with tons of player interaction. From Queen games, only in German, but English paste-ups are available on the Geek-page.

Medina--Zero-luck tile-layer with a small forest of chunky wooden bits. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
Thanks all for the recommendations. I now have some new games to investigate and I have moved some of the ones on my wishlist up a few spots. So, when my family members ask me what I want for Christmas or birthdays or such I will have a clearer answer.

But Go isn't on your wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuland just melted my brain on Laborday. It's a burner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.