United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me what you think of this:

5 player game, third and final round.

John: has been a digger all three rounds. In both of the first 2 rounds John got to the gold first, so he pretty much knows what everyone else has in treasure. John is in first place by a small margin.

Paul and George: are both in second place.

Ringo and Pete: have 1 or no treasures and probably can't win the game by this point.

As the third round goes on it becomes obvious that John, Paul, and George are all diggers, and Ringo and Pete are both Sabs.

John knows that if the diggers win, and manage to either break his tools (with the optional rules) or even if John is odd man out on the treasure divisions he could still lose the game.

On the other hand he can "throw the round" and side up with the Sabs...this will ensure (assuming that 3 Sabs can beat 2 diggers) that John gets no more gold, BUT neither will his closest rivals. Ringo and Pete on the other hand will each get 3 gold...not enough to take the lead.

So if John throws the round, he can more easily win the game.

What do you think of this play? Clever? Cheesy? Something else?

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly acceptable play in our games of Saboteur.

If you have the most gold after two rounds, you'd better be prepared to have some broken equipment in round 3, no matter whose side you're on

devil

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
What do you think of this play? Clever? Cheesy? Something else?
This is actually pretty common in our games. It makes for some fun games I can tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the name of the game is Saboteur. I'd call it a good play.

And then afterwards I'd find some way to "accidentally" punch John in the nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I have a solid opinion either way. Personally I feel like players should always be playing to win. A part of me can't help feeling like the play a described above is (despite the title of the game) sorta against the spirit of the game maybe? It would seem to make the third round sorta irrelevant. *shrug* I could go either way tho.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotong Ika
msg tools
mbmb
That was what happened to one of our game. We had a four player game and one of the player was in the lead of about 3-4 golds after 2 rounds. I was the Saboteur though nobody knew it.

It was in fact another miner who instigated 'Sabo-ing' the leading player and I gamely played along. Ended up the miners couldn't reach the gold and I won by a margin of 1 gold.

Well, in fact, even if there were no Saboteurs in the last round, you may some pretty mean in-fighting amongst the miners. *wink*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.