Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: How I make Zombies better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Shipman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I bought this awhile ago and here are the house rules we use to solve some of the "problems" we encountered.

Zombies Basic Set...
Problem: Big board, hard to move around with 1d6 movement
Solution: Every player rolls 2d6 and takes the higher valued die to move

Problem: Drawn-out end game
Solution: We use the helipad lets you move 2d6 rule. You don't pick the highest, you add them to get your move. We also shuffle cabins and helipads into the bottom of the stack vs. putting it on the bottom.

Problem: Board expands to edge of table
Solution: Edge of table ends expansion in that direction; plan accordingly.

Problem: Not enough zombie action
Solution: Same as we did with player movement; roll 2d6 take the higher to see how many zombies you can move. Allows for zombies outside the action to work their way into the fray.

Zombies Expansions in general
Problem: You work your way into an expanded tile set area, die and go all the way to the town square. It discourages players from going outside the city.
Solution: If you are in the army base, school, woods, circus, mall, etc and you die you have the choice of spawning again in the town square OR at the gate of the tile set you died in (die in the army base, you can spawn again at the gate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good stuff. We always roll 2d6 and use the highest (except for Z7, the Carnival), and shuffle the helipad into the bottom 3rd. Those two completely solve the problem of the game dragging. Not really sure what “not enough Zombie action means.”

The expansions are a mixed blessing. In the games we've played, when combined with the base game, there isn’t enough incentive to go into the military base, the mall, or the college, without home rules. The guts tokens are a pretty good incentive to go to school, I suppose. Plus, if players are forced to trudge through the expansion, they significantly lengthen game time. That’s OK if folks want a bigger, longer game, but that’s not our usual game.

I like your idea of letting deadies have a choice of respawn locations. I also like that with the Carnival, players start IN the expansion, instead of in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Shipman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Quote:
Not really sure what “not enough Zombie action means

If the players have a bunch of low rolls for number of zombies to move, you can have areas near the players cleared out. This house rule helps keep zombies on the move.

Quote:
there isn’t enough incentive to go into the military base, the mall, or the college, without home rules.

In our games these areas are ventured into quickly. There are fewer tiles in the expansions so you can pull the copter pad faster for an expansion than for the main tile set. With the option of spawning back at the gates vs. the town square, players trying to get to the chopper in the expansion have a better chance of getting there without starting back in the city again.

We use the circus (7) expansion just like the others (we don't start in the circus). We don't use the Fun House rule and we've found the car is incentive enough for some to journey into zombie clown town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Cappa
msg tools
I think the best solution is probably custom tile/card decks, that streamline the gameplay while keeping zombie numbers high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United States
California
flag msg tools
Got it, thanks Craig. I think I'll pitch the alternate respawn to my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.