Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to embark on a project I've wanted to do for two years: create 3' x 3' giant Tsuro game.

I have a tile-top table as seen below:

I'm trying to find 36 6" x 6" ceramic floor tiles to fill the tables 6 x 6 grid. I have had no luck at the local Lowes/Home Depot as 6" seems to be a non-standard size... So, I'm heading to the local tile shop in the near future and see if they have what I need. I could use the existing tiles, but my wife loves this table almost as much as our only son, so I figure I'm safer by getting new tiles.

I have access to a Dremel with the router attachment, so that should provide the platform I need but I have to find out what bit I would need to use. If anyone reading this knows, please tell me and save me the research!

Next, I have a can of clear acrylic spray (satin finish) to protect the tiles once finished.

I'm going to try and design some kind of Dragon tile, but I may just leave a blank because my art skills aren't that great. Ok, I paint outside the lines, but that's why I became a computer tech. I can router out the tile lines, but much more than that and I'm asking for a Tsuro set that looks like it was carved by a 4 year-old.

The last thing I'm asking for help with are the tokens. I need something big to match the scale of the table, but be easy to make out of, hopefully inexpensive, materials I can find locally. I'll post more pics as I move along in the process over the next couple of weeks and I'd be interested in any suggestions or comments you guys have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:

I could use the existing tiles, but my wife loves this table almost as much as our only son, so I figure I'm safer by getting new tiles.

Wait, your wife loves the table as much as she loves your son? Or your wife loves the table almost as much as your son loves the table?

Oh, umm, I can't build things for crap (those who can't build...harp on about grammatical ambiguities), but looks like a cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Wait, your wife loves the table as much as she loves your son? Or your wife loves the table almost as much as your son loves the table?

Oh, umm, I can't build things for crap (those who can't build...harp on about grammatical ambiguities), but looks like a cool idea!

That would be the former. The kid's only 7 months old.

I hope I don't booch this. Hehehehe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simply Not There
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a thought - if you can't find tiles of the size you need in ceramic, have you considered going for a different material like wood, plastic, or pressboard? Ceramic seems kind of troublesome anyway - heavy, breakable, and will scratch the table when you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bateman wrote:
Just a thought - if you can't find tiles of the size you need in ceramic, have you considered going for a different material like wood, plastic, or pressboard? Ceramic seems kind of troublesome anyway - heavy, breakable, and will scratch the table when you play.

The neat thing abou this table is the tiles are interchangable. They pop up and out leaving only an iron grid that supports the tiles. That's what makes this table perfect for Tsuro becuase all the original tiles can be easily removed and then you just build the map as you add the tiles back into the table. No scratching involved.

I thought about creamic or porcelain tiles for a couple reasons. 1. because you can get a gorgeous tile color that kind of matches the game tiles (the existing tiles are reallllly close, themselves.) 2. When you rout out the lines, you're left with a very defined path in the bevel, which should be visually attractive if I can pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simply Not There
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Bateman wrote:

The neat thing abou this table is the tiles are interchangable. They pop up and out leaving only an iron grid that supports the tiles. That's what makes this table perfect for Tsuro becuase all the original tiles can be easily removed and then you just build the map as you add the tiles back into the table. No scratching involved.

I thought about creamic or porcelain tiles for a couple reasons. 1. because you can get a gorgeous tile color that kind of matches the game tiles (the existing tiles are reallllly close, themselves.) 2. When you rout out the lines, you're left with a very defined path in the bevel, which should be visually attractive if I can pull it off.

Ah - interchangeable tiles. Sounds like a cool table! I hear ya - ceramic will definitely capture the look of the game nicely. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the German edition of Tsuro with the different markers as pictured.

This edition contains no dragon tile, so I reckon you don't need to design one at all. Good luck with your project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I suppose I don't need a dragon tile carved into the ceramic ones. Unless I decide to use those as permanent table tops and leave them in. I'd need something to spice up the blank spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: You would not believe how hard it is to find 6" x 6" tile... All the home improvement stores have are 4" x 4" and 8" x 8". I hav to try and find an actual tile store that may be able to special order them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I finally found a place that sold 6" tile and it was $2.00+ per tile. This may be delayed until after the first of the year as I don't have $100.00 to spend on tile this close to Christmas. I've been planning this for two years now and all that's really keeping me back is the cost of the tile itself. The wife won't let me use the existing tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's an update in case anyone still cared.

I have given up on trying to grind the paths with Dremels. I've gone through $15 of diamond tipped grinding tips and I managed two very sloppy lines. The tile was so hard, the bits were glowing orange.

So this has left me with a bit of a conundrum. I think my solution to get this done will be cheaper and simpler. Paint.

Over the next couple weeks, I want to start painting the paths on the tiles and finish it to see how it looks. I think the biggest problem will be finding a brush that mimics the style on the tiles, so it ought to be fun.

Now, I have to figure out how to make 8 giant pawns to go with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now that you've purchased your tiles, I'd like to offer a late suggestion - if you can find blank tiles, and know or can find someone with a kiln, you could paint & glaze the tiles & have them fired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a town east of here called Yellow Springs. A lot of handmade goodds stores including pottery. I might be able to find something like that there. Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try and find some chinese statues like foo dogs for the pawns, that would be awesome i think. Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been tabled for now. HAH!

But not forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.