Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting a long time to play HeroQuest. I got the game years ago and only this past Sunday did I finally convince my group to play.

I was nervous at first, since they were clearly playing it to humor me. My promise of "one, one hour game. That's all I ask," probably had something to do with it, too.

They took to it immediately, though, from the moment I handed out the character sheets. We started with four players, me (Zargon), M ("Princess Cashmere" the Elf), S (pulling dual duty for now with "Giggles" the Barbarian and "Squatz" the Dwarf), and K ("Captain Happy Pants" the Wizard). I quickly explained the rules -- and how nice it is to have a game in which that takes all of five minutes -- and off we went with Quest 1 - The Trial.

Things went very well from the get-go: the Heroes were having very little trouble dispatching the first few enemies they found, with about a wound apiece to keep things interesting. Very early on, seeing their disappointment with the empty weapon rack, I decided they'd almost always get something. I also replaced the two Chaos Warriors in the lower right with Goblins, as I'm looking to give them "just enough" challenge, and two Chaos Warriors seemed overwhelming. We also decided to use a house rule where a Hero could "pull" another out of the way; if your movement roll is enough to get you to another character (say in a hallway), you may take their spot, and move them back one. Yes, it makes the game a lot easier, but it also makes it a lot faster.

They'd already learned the dangers of splitting up, and after the Goblins they made it a point to explore all the corridors before opening a door. At this point we took a small dinner break, and came back with J, who took over on Giggles. They correctly surmised the middle square held the boss, and devised an interesting plan: they cleared out a room, sent someone to open the big room, then ran like hell, waiting in ambush.

I took the "Waaagh!" approach and ran directly into the trap, but I did manage to kill Squatz who had the bad luck to stand in the middle. The dead dwarf did not discourage them, and the pushed on for loot...until both the Princess and the Captain were down to a Body Point each, at which point they hoofed it for the stairs.

The group immediately fell to poring over the Armory, picking up some much-needed armor and a crossbow, which almost single-handedly cleared the dungeon for them. It also gained the nickname "The Nail Gun," for my habit of describing (and pantomiming) the monsters as being pinned to the wall by the bolt.

This quest went a lot more slowly, as they cautiously crawled through the dungeon, toeing nearly every freakin' stone for a trap. I debated telling them there were no traps to speed things up, but decided I liked the tension. Plus, it was a good idea to get them used to the mechanic and planning out their turns as a team for the later quests.

In all, I could not be happier with how the game went. We hadn't even cleared the table before they started talking about next time.

Some of the best quotes from the night:
"Mr. Happy Pants is my father. I didn't go to Captain school for eight years to be Mr. Happy Pants."

After the guys at the table all inexplicably break out in "Shipoopi" from Music Man, my wife calls from the living room, "You know what makes HeroQuest cooler? Singing show tunes."

On being disappointed in my bare bones narration: "Can't you role play this?" "Fine. You kick down the door and find the two Goblins cuddling on the table. They stare at you in surprise, then pick up their swords and rush at you, their cuddle ruined. The room smells of strawberry bubble bath (http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/)."

On wondering if monsters play role-playing games about working in an office: "Worst casual Friday, ever."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the quotes, it reminds me of my old game group =) hilarious and it's good to see an old classic like this still entertaining folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.