Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laugh? I nearly went to Ethiopia.

So there we were in July 2007 when a couple of pics of painted figures were released on BGG.

'Ooooo, how nice' said some.
'mmmmm, seen better' said others
'Wait 'til you see the others, we'll drip feed them every week from now', Said Roberto. And wait we did (and still are) but there were no more pics, no matter how much we taunted them.

A whole load of questions were asked;

What did we think of Elvish translations on the map?
Did we need large print on the cards?
New calligraphy?

Oh the collectors edition was going to be so great, and with us by Xmas 2007!!!

Woooo!

And then it all stopped. Did we say Xmas 2007? Ah actually we mean't the next big Con. And what a big con that proved to be.

There are unspecified unofficial rumours that it will be launched at Essen in October 2008. However FFG haven't seen fit to include it in their Essen pre-release information mentioning only a Battle Lore Map and Red November. The Collectors Edition doesn't even blip at all on the FFG website.

The reprint is with us so could it be that this has been one huge FFG joke, played on the gullible gaming community?

If not then come on, tell us whats happening and face the music, rather than relying on Chinese Whispers on trade stands.

If it is, then I guess we will continue to hear nothing except the distant chuckling of the FFG pixies as they work hard on further spurious press releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason why I stopped putting out more teasers about the Collector's Edition is that it was pointless to do so, until the moment we have fully solved certain production problems.
Since we canceled the Christmas 2007 release date, we never announced an alternative date, and I won't until that release date is certain.

We have a clear idea of what we want to achieve with this item, and certain parts of the job are complete to enter production at any time.

With other components, most notably the game box, we are still not happy of the quality/price ratio we have achieved up to now, and we are still working on it.

In any case, the project is definitely not a joke! However, it has proven very challenging for us to create an item which we want to be a "dream product", matching in production quality what - for me personally - is a "dream game" in the sense that we created the WotR game that, as a player, I was waiting for almost my entire gaming life!

When we get there, and we are ready to announce and show the final results of our efforts, be sure you'll know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well probably not what people wanted to hear, but thanks for the prompt reply and your honesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Well probably not what people wanted to hear, but thanks for the prompt reply and your honesty.
That was bad news? He said they're still working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barefoot Killer wrote:

It won't be ready for Essen or by the sound of it any time before 2009, despite rumours to the contrary.

Do try to keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your time and do it right Roberto. I'd rather wait and have it the best you can make it, then for you to rush and we spend the next 10 years commenting how great it would have been if you'd just have done X or Y.

Thanks for the update though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
...we are still not happy of the quality/price ratio we have achieved up to now, and we are still working on it.

That's good to know as well.

Thanks Roberto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The Barefoot Killer wrote:

It won't be ready for Essen or by the sound of it any time before 2009, despite rumours to the contrary.

Do try to keep up.

I'll try to keep up if you promise to try and understand that the point of making a "collector's edition" is giving the fans a lavish production with top-quality bits, not cutting corners to make sure it's out for Essen 2008. Would you be happier if it came out this year but was worse than it could be? Can't you just play the existing version in the meanwhile?

I'm excited to see more about the game, too. But I see Roberto's post as good news. It's still being worked on? Awesome!

EDIT: deleted a bunch of tangential stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update, Roberto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are unspecified unofficial rumours that it will be launched at Essen in October 2008.

Actually there is an official note that it will be at Essen 2008. The list from Phalanx Games on the Essen preview page at spielbox-online.de lists it under its semi-German title "Ringkrieg Collector's Edition". I seem to have read somewhere (but cannot remember where) that this would be a demo version only though, but people would be able to preorder at Essen.

Of course, if it's just the German edition, I'm not really interested, except as to how it all looks. It's Tolkien so it should be in English.

I am, however, quite happy to wait a lot longer if that will improve the final (English) product. So thanks for the update, Roberto, and please take all the time that you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are indeed trying to match the goal of getting a full pre-production prototype before the end of october and to have full pricing/release date information at Essen.

We are not so far from achieving this (which would probably mean at least a spring 2009 release date for the actual production) - still, I can not guarantee 100% we can do this.

In any case, the release of the various language editions will be simultaneous, as usual with our major productions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto, thanks for the update. My take on the tone of this thread is that it's a playful poke at the lengthy wait rather than anything ill-tempered. Just enthusiasts looking forward to a product we're . . . uh . . . looking forward to.

Any time I read that a publisher is unhappy with a product's "quality/price ratio" and is still working on that to get things the way he/she wants it--especially a publisher who's also an enthusiast for the product--I'm content to be patient.

Good luck with the glitches and gremlins and we'll be glad to see it when we see it.

Last thing, one more plug for a "greener" Middle Earth this go-'round, at least outside Mordor and the Barren Lands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone catch the sound of Pixies laughing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Crumpler
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just in my small game group there are 3 of us that are waiting on buying WotR for the collector's edition, so I can speak for us in saying thanks for keeping the project alive and we cant wait to see the finished product!

Coincidently Im also holding a 3 WotR teaching games in Berkeley today, so that is a potential 5 more customers incoming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicToEat wrote:
Take your time and do it right Roberto. I'd rather wait and have it the best you can make it, then for you to rush and we spend the next 10 years commenting how great it would have been if you'd just have done X or Y.

I agree one hundred percent. I'm going to buy it, but I don't have to have it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is excellent. i was planning on buying war of the ring, but then i read about this collector's edition. and now i find out it wont be coming out as soon as i thought, this is great news.

why?

it means my money will stay with me and keep me company for a little longer ^_^

also, it means i will be able to actually watch LotR trilogy first. hahaha. yep. i havent seen it. or read the books.

i know right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The longer this takes to come out the more likely I am to have money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the update, Roberto. I've been clicking back here once a week or so looking for news, so it's really nice to finally get some.

One thing I'm wondering and have wondered in the past (and this is intended as an honest question, not a snarky remark), is how you reconcile your enthusiasm for the game, as demonstrated in your comment here:

cybernex wrote:
for me personally - is a "dream game" in the sense that we created the WotR game that, as a player, I was waiting for almost my entire gaming life!

with your rating of 6, and the comment in your game collection:

cybernex wrote:
I have a passion for this game, with its grand scope and attention to details. However it fails as a simulation of the book in several major ways, and as a game usually has a tendency to go along the same road every time. Many of the problems can be easily corrected by house rules however.

Is your rating much higher with house rules? Was your rating much higher before you started working so closely with the game and its flaws became more evident?

The main reason I ask is that I have never played the game, but love both Tolkien and these sorts of games (I've read the rulebook), so I'm planning on jumping right into the Collector's Edition. Some people's comments do give me pause, however, and yours is one of them.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
One thing I'm wondering and have wondered in the past (and this is intended as an honest question, not a snarky remark), is how you reconcile your enthusiasm for the game, as demonstrated in your comment here:

cybernex wrote:
for me personally - is a "dream game" in the sense that we created the WotR game that, as a player, I was waiting for almost my entire gaming life!

with your rating of 6, and the comment in your game collection:

cybernex wrote:
I have a passion for this game, with its grand scope and attention to details. However it fails as a simulation of the book in several major ways, and as a game usually has a tendency to go along the same road every time. Many of the problems can be easily corrected by house rules however.

walkie, rest assured, the 2004 game that is the subject of this thread is a wonderfully brilliant game--the one co-designed by Roberto. The game you quoted Roberto on above is the 1977 game of the same name, but an entirely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
walkie, rest assured, the 2004 game that is the subject of this thread is a wonderfully brilliant game--the one co-designed by Roberto. The game you quoted Roberto on above is the 1977 game of the same name, but an entirely different game.

Ha! Well that explains it, thanks! I knew there was an older War of the Ring, but for some reason that had just never occurred to me. It makes me feel much better to know that one of the designers isn't rating his own game a 6!

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just great, great news!

After hearing nothing for so long, and seeing nothing at GenCon, and getting puzzled looks from the people in the FFG booth I was thinking that this project must be dead and I was about to cave and buy the regular set.

Now I'm ready to hunker down and wait it out.

The Collector's Edition will be mine precioouussssssss....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are there any plans for a re-print of the original(non collectors) edition of the game. I ask because i am thinking of purchasing the game(not the collectors edition) and if there is going to be a reprint with any potential component ``fixes`` or changes then i would rather wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey if Spore finally came out we can have faith that this will too. (Note I haven't bought Spore.)
I'm more interested in Age of Conan boardgame anyway

But it is good to hear the updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
In any case, the release of the various language editions will be simultaneous, as usual with our major productions.

Will there be an Elvish language edition? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully WotR:CE will turn out better than Spore...shake

lfisher wrote:
Hey if Spore finally came out we can have faith that this will too. (Note I haven't bought Spore.)
I'm more interested in Age of Conan boardgame anyway

But it is good to hear the updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.