BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: Luck, Superstitions, Rituels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Firminjer
msg tools
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post yay

Anyway I'm a very firm believer in dice superstition I always leave my dice on the highest number (which is quite strange most people i know leaving them on 1's) I have a lucky D20 and get the shivers when other people touch my dice as well as thinking that they have taken some of the luck. If I drop a die it rolls badly for me and i often apologize to it ( yes I am quite strange ). I often find myself absentmindedly turning dice to their highest number.

So i was just wondering what crazy superstitions any one else might have

Thanks

The Frog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago when I was in High School. My dice hated me. So, one night I spread them all out in a semi circle and picked up on of the worst offenders. One of those old orange D&D d6's. I set in in the middle of all those dice and took a lighter to it until all the edges were burnt and black. I then told the other dice that if they continued to roll poorly for me, they would share the same fate.

They rolled quite well from that time on, until I lost the bag in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who, years ago, ripped an underperforming die into 2 pieces. It was an old, perhaps fatigued, 6-sided die, but all of us were shocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the high numbers? Do you realize that this is the gamer's equivalent of age discrimination? The young dice (the D4s) get summarily ignored by their inability to produce higher numbers. It's not until they get older can they develop enough sides to handle a six or eight. It's the rare polygon that ripens into the fully formed D20.

Guantanamo wrote:
So, one night I spread them all out in a semi circle and picked up on of the worst offenders. One of those old orange D&D d6's. I set in in the middle of all those dice and took a lighter to it until all the edges were burnt and black.

I tried this and it hatched. Now I've got D4s running around all over the place. They hide out until they get the chance to play "Caltrop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more important the roll, the harder I shake the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Firminjer
msg tools
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
frog of dhoom wrote:
I always leave my dice on the highest number

What madness is this? You'll use up all the 6's!

Ah yes I find I don't roll critical s and the highest numbers as much but a lot of high numbers come out. I once dropped my D20 while playing DnD i missed every attack roll save one after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We keep dice and my Big Box o' Catan on opposite sides of the house. Catan dice pretzel-up the distribution of any dice that spend time near them, and we don't want them tainting our pounds of Shadowrun dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
The more important the roll, the harder I shake the dice.

thats funny, the more important the roll the less i shake them, I give them a little bubounce around in my hand alittle, then let em fly. I find hard shaking shakes the luck out of em.

More dice superstition: Dont you hate it when you get a really good roll when its an unimportant move? like only attacking an infantry and not a big mech. You use up all your 6s and 5s! ugh. you need those for later when your fighting the bigger guy.

The chances of getting 3 6s on 3 dice is [1 / 216]

The fact that you have a better chance of rolling a 7 (56% or something like that) on a 12 sided die, than a 4 confuses me. Should all the sides just be 1/12? Or did i just blow your mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The DICE GODS are not amused. You must sacrifice a live pig NOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...whaaaaat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Rizzo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
The DICE GODS are not amused. You must sacrifice a live pig NOW.

How about the pigs from Pass the Pigs? Then you can stick to real dice games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frog of dhoom wrote:
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post yay

Anyway I'm a very firm believer in dice superstition I always leave my dice on the highest number (which is quite strange most people i know leaving them on 1's) I have a lucky D20 and get the shivers when other people touch my dice as well as thinking that they have taken some of the luck. If I drop a die it rolls badly for me and i often apologize to it ( yes I am quite strange ). I often find myself absentmindedly turning dice to their highest number.

The Frog

Welcome.

You'll fit right in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time my friends and I have a game night, just before we get started, I go find a hobo and beat him to death with a hammer. It's just a little quirk of mine... and it works! I'm on a lucky streak in Ticket to Ride!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
frog of dhoom wrote:

Exactly! That's why you're supposed to turn them all to the "1".

It's your opponents dice that you turn to the "6", thereby using up all of their luck!

Sheesh! Kids these days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Firminjer
msg tools
falloutfan wrote:
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
frog of dhoom wrote:

It's your opponents dice that you turn to the "6", thereby using up all of their luck!

Sheesh! Kids these days!

I If touched my friends dice I would be lynched

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine likes to roll the dice between turns to "warm them up". I yell at him for doing this, as he's obviously wasting rolls that don't belong to him. "Hey! Those double sixes are what I need, and you went and took them from me!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Firminjer
msg tools
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
A friend of mine likes to roll the dice between turns to "warm them up". I yell at him for doing this, as he's obviously wasting rolls that don't belong to him. "Hey! Those double sixes are what I need, and you went and took them from me!"

I do that if a dice has been rolling badly. I keep rolling until I get a one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
frog of dhoom wrote:
falloutfan wrote:
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
frog of dhoom wrote:

Sheesh! Kids these days!

I If touched my friends dice I would be lynched

There was a female gamer in one of the groups I played with, who would go around the table turning all of our dice to the lowest number available. She said she was "stealing our luck". We hated it with a fiery passion, but we were typical male gamers, so we let her do it.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Davis
United States
Marshall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While i am not a very firm believer in luck, (probability on the other hand...) i make it a point to keep a die two in pocket at all times. If i am feeling stressed, i find a reasonable flat area, guess a number, reach in for a die, and chunk it, just to see if i can guess it. After a few such attempts, i find i am a lot calmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.