United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

My family has a running joke that we all fly differently in our dreams.

My father uses no legs but has to place his arms somewhat outstretched and must constantly move his hands in a circular motion somewhat like treading water. The faster he makes circles, the higher and faster he goes. He can hover and he flys with his body relatively vertical.

My mother fly effortlessly. Just soars. No particular body position required and it requires no effort. She just thinks fly and she goes. She cannot hover. She flys relatively horizontally.

I rarely fly in my dreams but when I do, I have to hold me arms almost horizontally and then I push down and I feel resistance. Almost like I'm compressing a balloon between my arms and the sides of my body. The harder I press down the higher and faster I go. I can hover but it takes a lot of energy to do so. I fly relatively vertically.

How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
First class all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I start off running then jump. While in midair, I decide that I don't want to land yet and my jumps turn into me gliding a few feet above the earth. It's really quite rare that I get anything more than 5 feet above the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird that you bring this up, I almost posted something about this in the "running" thread.

I have a lot of dreams where I know I can fly and have done it often, but when the time comes, I can only run a few feet then leap futilely. Like the power of flight *just* quit working, or I've forgotten how to do it.

When I do fly, it's always the same--running start, both arms stretched forward into fists and close to one another, legs straight behind me. Often I'll push harder with my fists outstretched and I'll have a huge burst of speed, including a sonic pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall forwards, arms outstretched sideways, into a rather marvellous swoop. I'm not all that sure that I couldn't do it for real if I tried; it's that convincing. But I don't fancy the hitting the floor bit if I can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I have a lot of dreams where I know I can fly and have done it often, but when the time comes, I can only run a few feet then leap futilely. Like the power of flight *just* quit working, or I've forgotten how to do it.

Try eating some jello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

Try eating some jello.

I'm trying to fly, not Rick'Roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I don't fly in my dreams, but I do jump very high and float down lightly. I just jump up in the air about fifty feet, and at the height of my arc gravity loosens its grip on me and I come down like Mary Poppins, but without the umbrella.

But more often, I jump up and float down to land on power lines. I've had recurring dreams for a long time, now, where I can land on power lines and ride them as though I were sliding down a banister on my feet, but horizontally. The electricity crackles silently beneath my feet, and I can ride the lines all over town, doing my floaty jump from one to the next. Hell of rad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
I don't fly in my dreams, but I do jump very high and float down lightly. I just jump up in the air about fifty feet, and at the height of my arc gravity loosens its grip on me and I come down like Mary Poppins, but without the umbrella.

But more often, I jump up and float down to land on power lines. I've had recurring dreams for a long time, now, where I can land on power lines and ride them as though I were sliding down a banister on my feet, but horizontally. The electricity crackles silently beneath my feet, and I can ride the lines all over town, doing my floaty jump from one to the next. Hell of rad.

It sounds like air is made of jello in your dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I've had all sorts of flying ones and different way I achieve flight. Some are just flying around ala superman and others I have to get a running start and jump into the air.

In one of my creepy ones I was lying face down on my old elementary school gym. I lifted my hands off the floor and started to float. I put them down again and came down and tried to show a friend. When I floated the second time some unseen force started pulling my violently feet first towards the door...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of deep psychological truth hidden in there. I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of deep psychological truth hidden in there. I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely there.

I knew I was setting myself up for that. All I can offer in my defense is I have four children.

NO FLOOPY FLIER JOKES~!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
NO FLOOPY FLIER JOKES~!!!

You know, a little jello (and some Rick Astley playing on the stereo) can help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Jonathan, are you feeling all right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Jonathan, are you feeling all right?

Well, I don't feel like my legs are stuck in jello or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Douglas Adams wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say about flying:

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt. That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties. One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've meditated and flew that way as well...

In my dreams I fly effortlessly. No arms or anything but it always seems like I'm being pulled/drawn my something and go naturally in that direction. I don't see anything in third person, always in first person.

I also move through walls and time like a ghost, but I think that's something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is unusual. I usually start out running and my running becomes difficult and my feet just come up off of the ground!!

I hold my arms out horizontally and basically glide/soar. I usually don't go very high up.

However, it does feel like an effort to get going!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting subject. thumbsup

I glide by getting a running start and just balancing. Usually gliding on the ground, but I think I've gone airborne sometimes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying is a lot of work in my dreams. I have to get a quick running start and then I basically swim in the air. I have to kick and paddle very hard to get any height.

I do get tired which lands me usually directly in the path of the danger I was trying to escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone knows flying is all mental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shroud wrote:

Which is why the jello is essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
shroud wrote:

Which is why the jello is essential.

Which comes first? Going mental or incessant jello-speak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Which comes first? Going mental or incessant jello-speak?

Bacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, according to most psychiatrists people who fly in dreams have the potential for schizoid/schizophrenic episodes.

Now flying. I kick my legs behind me and swim through the air. It is only about 5-6 feet above the ground and is fairly slowly (a little faster than a brisk walking pace). Now everyone else around me seems shocked at my being able to do so, and try to get me to stop. When I wake I am disappointed, always, that kicking my own legs out from under me does not lead to a gentle flight above the ground. My doctor has asked me to stop, but what does she know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.