BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: looking for a specific type of book. Please help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Hall
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maybe this book doesnt exist. but I hope it does. My very favorite movie plot is from groundhog day. I love the idea of a person stuck in a time loop and using it to become something better. Has anyone read a GOOD book that uses this plot device?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, they are called "Create Your Own Adventure" stories. Loved as a kid in the 70s. Just keep re-reading it over and over till you get the ending you like!

Heh, sorry I know you're looking for grown-up books. but your description describes these books exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminded me of a book I read when I was young, Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School. I'm sure that this book will be of no use to you since it is intended for children, but there it is anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
Sure, they are called "Create Your Own Adventure" stories. Loved as a kid in the 70s. Just keep re-reading it over and over till you get the ending you like!

Heh, sorry I know you're looking for grown-up books. but your description describes these books exactly.

A version of this for grown-ups is the book Rayuela by Julio Cortazar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Replay, by Ken Grimwood. It's not a create-your own book, but a stand-alone novel. It's not quite sci-fi, not fantasy, not exactly sure what you'd call it, except a great read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is slightly different than what you're asking for, but the book I thought of is: Kindred by Octavia Butler

The protagonist who is African-American keeps getting pulled back in time to save the master of her ancestors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Black by Ted Dekker for an unusual "stuck in a time warp/continuum" type of book. This is part of "The Circle" trilogy which consists of Black, Red, and White.

I liked Black, but could not finish the 2nd book Red. So, I can only recommend Black--which was VERY interesting.

It is not exactly what you're looking for, it is more of a parallel/dual time reality type of situation.

Another series that has time warps, continuums, etc. is "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. There are 5 books: Under Sea, Over Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, & Silver on the Tree.

I loved the first 3, with The Dark is Rising as my favorite; I found it to be absolutely fantastic, spooky, engaging, engrossing, and super, super interesting with lots of time/space travelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Try Replay, by Ken Grimwood. It's not a create-your own book, but a stand-alone novel. It's not quite sci-fi, not fantasy, not exactly sure what you'd call it, except a great read.

My all time favorite book. Even helped me meet my wife . . .

Don't think, just buy it and read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.