Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on making some (relatively) simple rules to allow for 3D space in Starmada. The goal is to allow "altitude" above and below the game board without adding excessive complexity. I've uploaded the rules to the files section.

3D would allow such things as flying "over" or "under" asteroids, and there is a modifier for firing at a ships rear from above or below.

I would appreciate any feedback if you'd like to try them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we played with these rules today (with a few modifications from the version I uploaded). There were too many complications involved. Essentially, I had tried to take the thrust requirement model in S:AE and "flip it on its side" so that you were doing "turns" up or down and then keeping track of altitude. Well, it was bulky and left some questions about vectors.

We scrapped my version and instead developed a version of 3D movement that is a simplified version of 3D vector movement in Attack Vector: Tactical.

It works like this:

You define a stationary set of hex letters on the map. For example, the hex toward the top of the map is A, then B and so on around to F.

Each turn you take the ship's thrust as the number of thrust units you can plot to various vectors.

You plot an up vector, a down vector and then one or more hexsides.

You can be moving in two adjacent hexside vectors. Otherwise, if the hexsides are two away or directly opposite, you resolve the vectors. (If you've played AV:T you know what I'm talking about). A plot of "P" means a one thrust unit pivot to any direction at the end of the movement.

You plot your thrust and then write down your final vectors after your thrust changes.

For example: We have a ship that is level on the ecliptic and moving 0. It has a thrust capacity of 5

We plot 3UP 1A 1B That gives a speed of 3UP 1A and 1B.

To move, the ship is moved one hex forward, and one hex 60 degrees to the right. Its altitiude is marked as +3 (we write on the plexi next to the ships).

This is simplified from AV:T in several regards:

(1) Vertical vectors are not "resolved" with horizontal vectors in any way.

(2) All movement is plotted and executed simultaneously with no impulses.

We feel like this gives the game a bit more "depth" (literally!) without adding excessive complexity (at least for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some necromancy here zombie

I like your system, Attack vector is an excellent game but to difficult for newbies on two things :

Seekers (horrible !)
Bearing shooting (always used)

This 2 things killed the game I think, so I play Starmada instead, and your systemes please me.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.