BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: NY Times critique of McCain's convention speech rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this NYT critique of the Republican convention and McCain's speech last night. I heard McCain's speech but didn't watch most of the preceding nights' coverage.

I believe the NYT is pretty liberal editorially - what do you think of this Op Ed piece? How fair an assessment do you think it is of the message of the Republicans and McCain? Of Palin's speech?

"The Real John McCain"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/opinion/05fri1.html?_r=1&p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
I believe the NYT is pretty liberal editorially - what do you think of this Op Ed piece? How fair an assessment do you think it is of the message of the Republicans and McCain? Of Palin's speech?

Yes, it is a fair assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If this quote from the article really does come from the speech, the republican ticket really has issues:

“Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and he’s worried that someone won’t read them their rights,” Ms. Palin said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
That line led to a roar of thunderous applause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
“Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and he’s worried that someone won’t read them their rights,” Ms. Palin said.

Abu Ghraib Part II, 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Double plus good, that line. Rights are for pussies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
McCain.... McCain? Hmmm... sounds familiar. Oh! I got it! Isn't he the guy running on the same ticket with Sarah Palin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Cut to McCain's speech, where he put the blame for the country's problems squarely on a do-nothing Congress, deeply in thrall to special interests. In many ways his speech wasn't McCain vs. Obama, it was McCain vs. Congress. And at a time when Congressional approval ratings are at an all-time low, I think this was exactly the chord to strike. That's gonna resonate with the common man and give actual hope. Hope for a complete turnaround. When he said that the first bill that crossed his desk overstuffed with pork, he would VETO it -- the cheers went on for a long, long time.

I had a similar good reaction to the content of much of McCain's speech, although perhaps not quite as strongly positive as you.

I'm going to have to go try to find Palin's speech and listen to that. She does strike me as rather extreme, at least in the couple areas I've heard about so far.

I'm going to have to listen to Obama's speech again. I was pretty impressed with Obama's speech too. I don't remember him being so negative.

I'm off to Google up some speeches here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Cut to McCain's speech, where he put the blame for the country's problems squarely on a do-nothing Congress, deeply in thrall to special interests. In many ways his speech wasn't McCain vs. Obama, it was McCain vs. Congress. And at a time when Congressional approval ratings are at an all-time low, I think this was exactly the chord to strike. That's gonna resonate with the common man and give actual hope. Hope for a complete turnaround. When he said that the first bill that crossed his desk overstuffed with pork, he would VETO it -- the cheers went on for a long, long time.

What people forget is that it is our fault. We elected Congress. If we don't like it, we can change it. The problem with the citizens of America is that change/action isn't taken until the situation is dire. This country has absolutely zero foresight. For all of Carter's faults, he did warn us of the impending energy crisis. Reagan's response: tear the solar panels off the white house, fire up some more drills and say fuck conservation of energy. Ignoring Carter's warning could be the biggest blunder a country has ever made -- only time will tell.

I too am against tax and spend. I think I would be a traditional fiscal conservative -- trouble is, no one that fits that bill is within 1,000 miles of D.C. The last balanced budget we had was in the Clinton administration. Before that was LBJ, and he was able to do that and the Great Society (perhaps a little of Darilian enthusiasm is rubbing off on me). Apparently the Republican presidents, the so-called fiscal conservatives: Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II, can't balance the budget. That is 28 years of ineptitude in since 1968.

How hard is it? I need to bring in more money than I spend. Fine, don't tax and spend. But the don't tax implies the don't spend. If you oppose Obama on the grounds of taxing and spending, perhaps you should oppose McCain on the grounds of just spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cut to McCain's speech, where he put the blame for the country's problems squarely on a do-nothing Congress,

That is one of the more ridiculous GOP talking points.

Quote:
McCain strikes me as a man both parties could easily support (if they'd take off their partisan blinders).

McCain of eight years ago, maybe.

Quote:
I went into this election season thinking that Barack Obama would be a better uniter

Link to a post where you said something positive about Obama.

Quote:
Naivete, inexperience, and . . . well, "smarm," . . . just turned me off.

That has been happening a lot of late...in reaction to Sarah Palin.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Quote:
Cut to McCain's speech, where he put the blame for the country's problems squarely on a do-nothing Congress,

That is one of the more ridiculous GOP talking points.

Really? Because I've been complaining about our do-nothing Congress for over a decade now. I'm glad the GOP is finally listening to me.

Sure...but what makes it ridiculous is that the Republicans are the cause. They controlled the Congress during the bulk of that time, and have used the filibuster a record number of times the past two years to neuter the slim Democratic majority.

It's an appeal to low-information voters, but ultimately one that won't likely work. Congress never has good favorability numbers, yet members of congress are re-elected 90% of the time. People are often satisfied with their own congressmen and congresswomen and point the blame at the people they can't kick out.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
McCain strikes me as a man both parties could easily support (if they'd take off their partisan blinders).

McCain of eight years ago, maybe.

Oh yes. I understand that a Democratic talking point is that the McCain they all loved in 2000 and wanted to elect has been transformed into a Rove-bot by evil psychic rays emanating from the Oval Office.

McCain had considered changing parties in the past and was even in serious consideration to be Kerry's VP in 2004. But of late he, in his own words, has voted with Bush over 90% of the time. So yes...Democratic talking point. But this one isn't an obvious deception like the GOP talking point above.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went into this election season thinking that Barack Obama would be a better uniter

Link to a post where you said something positive about Obama.

Geez. What makes you think I post every political opinion here?

Just sayin...it is a useful persuasive tactic to claim to have held one position but to have been moved to change. And none of the political views you have expressed align with this...but I'll take you at your word.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Naivete, inexperience, and . . . well, "smarm," . . . just turned me off.

That has been happening a lot of late...in reaction to Sarah Palin.

Oh, look. It's the Pee Wee Herman defense! "I know you are but what am I?" I think that means we win!
[/q]

Win!?!?! That's the word of the day!!!!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.