Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin and Randy came over last night for chili and a game of Battlestar Galactica in which the Cylons -- me, again -- won. We started about 8:30 (after Justin had a chance to see the demo for the new Star Wars game, Force Unleashed) and played until midnight.

In a four player game, only one Cylon card is shuffled into the loyalty deck before the game starts. And in our game, that included both Gauis Baltar and Sharon Valeri, the loyalty deck mix at the start of the game was eight "You Are Not a Cylon" and on "You Are a Cylon." Just before the sleeper phase of the game -- during which the Cylon Sympathizer card is shuffled into the remaining loyalty cards and cards dealt again -- Randy commented that the game didn't need a traitor element, since the humans were being pounded. At that point, all four of the human resources -- Fuel, Food, Morale, and Population -- were already in the red.

This game was more interestiing than the game I was in at PAX, if only because it felt more challenging for me, as a Cylon, to win. In fact, just before the sleeper phase I went ahead and revealed my Cylon card because I realized there was no way I was going too win if I didn't switch over to the Cylon actions track.

The more cooperative games I play, the more I enjoy them. Especially games in which there's a hidden traitor.

I'm thinking I should call around and see if I can put together six players for another game this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I'm really digging this game, as well! Played it twice, now, and had a blast both times.

I've been a cylon both times, and both times, I've lost. In the latest game, there were only four players, and I didn't get the "you are a Cylon" card until midgame. Right after making a play that really helped the fleet, I got the card and regretted having helped so much when I thought I was a good li'l human. This is really a big disadvantage for the Cylons, as the fleet is already almost halfway to Earth by the time an adversary appears.

In my first game, there were six players, and two Cylons were active from the beginning. I was playing Tigh, who was the admiral since Adama wasn't in play. I tried to be helpful early on, so I could amass goodwill and use Tigh's martial law ability to usurp the presidency, in addition to the admiral's position. Well, this went off without a hitch; I can't believe those suckers didn't have me pegged when I took over the presidency without provocation! I sold it as role-playing Tigh. devil One fellow had some suspicions, and tried to initiate new elections, but he failed.

So then, with my absolute power in hand, backed by a bushel of goodwill, I set out to start sabotaging in earnest. We were surrounded by two Cylon base stars and two players were in the brig, through bad luck. I was thinking that this would be the optimum time to frak things up, but my turn was several players away. Happily, I was obliged by a player who wanted me to use my tactical nukes, and used an executive order to give me his actions. Instead, I revealed myself and used my Cylon power to send him to join his cohorts in the brig! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

It was a beautiful moment!

Sadly, it was short-lived, as it turned out that the guy I just locked up was the other Cylon. I had suspected as much earlier in the game, but his using an executive order on me to fight the base stars made me second-guess his loyalty. I did figure it out shortly after that, and helped him to get out of the brig. But it was too late, and the humans managed to find Earth.

Frakking humans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
I'm really digging this game, as well! Played it twice, now, and had a blast both times.

Two games down so far for me, as well, and a third scheduled for the weekend.

I've enjoyed the game enough that I started writing a review. I hope to finish the review this weekend, after my third game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
I did figure it out shortly after that, and helped him to get out of the brig.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for him to get himself out of jail? I mean...all he has to do is reveal himself as a Cylon and *poof*, he's on the resurrection ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Yeah, but it's better if he can reveal himself when he's not in the brig, to do some damage on the way out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.