United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 11th TGIF Poll
How many players do you usually play games with?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I fly solo
8.8% 14
2 Players
45.0% 72
3 Players
40.0% 64
4 Players
52.5% 84
5 Players
26.2% 42
6 Players
9.4% 15
7 Players
3.1% 5
8 Players
1.9% 3
9 Players
0.0% 0
10 or More Players
3.8% 6
Voters 160
With larger groups what do you usually do?
Play a party game that will fit all the players
32.3% 52
Try to find a strategy game that plays with that many players
39.1% 63
Split the group and play multiple games
55.3% 89
Ask people to leave
0.0% 0
Other
5.6% 9
Voters 161
If you find yourself with only one opponent which do you usually do?
Seize the opportunity to play games that are strictly for 2-players
83.3% 135
Try games that you usually play with more players that say they can be played 2-player
37.0% 60
Wait, and hope more people show up
9.9% 16
Other
6.2% 10
Voters 162
This poll is now closed.   162 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This depends on who is there. It might turn into a D&D session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting about the splitting of large parties into two or more groups. I wonder what the general threshold is for that for most people. For me it's maybe a little bit lower than some of my friends.

My friends tend to like to keep everybody involved together in the social activity, whereas I would prefer to split up and play separate games. I guess it's more the gamer in me.

But where do people usually split? For us it's probably averages somewhere between 5 and 6, since that seems to often be a breaking point on number of players (for Euros anyway). Yeah, Power Grid is 6, but one of gaming buddies can't stand that, so we never play that. PR is obviously 5 as are many others. SoC is fairly interminable with 6. Agricola is 6, right? Well, we haven't learned how to play that yet, but we'll get to it. At any rate, between 5 and 6 for us. How's about yew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I game 95% of the time with my family or friends. Since none of them are gamers they all circle around my table and expect me to teach them a game, and to play the game with them. So usually with large groups we play one big game. These usually are party games, unless the group is less than 8 in which case we may try some of the strategy games that plays with larger numbers of players.

My first foray into splitting the group was two weeks ago when the youth group had a pool party and got bored with the pool early. I was forced to pull games that I had in the bag for just a few players and get several small groups going at once. It worked, but there were 2 problems I had with this. #1 = I was run a little ragged as I bolted from table to table answering questions and teaching rules. #2 = I was a little concerned about how gentle the teens would be with my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
In my old group, we used to break up into smaller groups whenever we went over 5 players. In my current group, everyone likes to play games together when possible, even if we have about 9 people. This is how things like I Drank What? happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
...#2 = I was a little concerned about how gentle the teens would be with my games...

You had them there and they are for gaming. Don't worry be happy.

You talk a lot about the youth group and gaming with them. So, that's must be why you had the bag of games with you. Why the use of the word 'forced'?

I'm sure the games you take with you can be replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time it's either just me and my bf or there's two or three friends coming over (or we go to them) to play games, so most things work.
If the group is larger than that, if there's only 6 people there are some strategy games that still work, otherwise it's card games. If we're not at home, we may play a party game (we don't really own any).

2 player is pretty much default for us, and we usually play games that can be played with more than 2 (and are also suited for 2 or have a good variant that works for 2). So I picked other on that one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a real problem for me.

I've been doing a gaming night for 5ish years now. But, in order to keep it going I have an invitee list of about 12-20 because I know a lot of them will not show up. I probably only have 2-3 that come almost every week.

My favorite number of players is 5. There are some games that play well with 6. I HATE when I get 7. 7 seems to be the awkward, there are a few 7 player games, but they don't go over well with everyone and you don't really want to play big 7 player games back to back. But, for some reason the group doesn't 'like' 3 player games much. So, we try and get large games in.

After that I try and split. But, it's also harder because we have problems mixing up at that point. So, you get 'stuck' with the same people the entire night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
You had them there and they are for gaming. Don't worry be happy. I'm sure the games you take with you can be replaced.

I know, it's just that teeny-tiny bit of OCD in me that worries how they will treat my games when I'm not in the same room.

Guantanamo wrote:
You talk a lot about the youth group and gaming with them. So, that's must be why you had the bag of games with you. Why the use of the word 'forced'?

Actually I used the word "forced" because I hadn't packed games that day intending to use them with any of the youth. I pretty much only brought small group games (2-5 players) because I thought it would only be the adults who weren't swimming that would play. I wasn't upset that the youth wanted to play (in fact our game bag kind of saved the day.) I was just surprised that they were bored with the pool so early, and I was not prepared with a lot of party/lighter games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a good part of them are wanting something other then light/party games.

So what did you try on them? Did you log them?

Wish you had Sorry! Sliders, don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
It sounds like a good part of them are wanting something other then light/party games.

So what did you try on them? Did you log them?

Wish you had Sorry! Sliders, don't you?

I logged the ones I was involved in. That included Time's Up: Title Recall (the only party game I had), Pandemic, and Ingenious.

Fortunately I did have Sorry Sliders with me as well (the only really light game I had on hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play with the number of people that a particular game plays well with and most games I would want to play max out at 5. So, if someone else shows up, I immediately advocate splitting into 2 3-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Around my game group it's amazing how often 5 player games get played. I think it's because a lot of the games we have are 3-5 and everybody wants in to the next hot game so they max out. I actually prefer 4 players in most 5 player games. I relentlessly preach the mantra of splitting 6 into 3 and 7 into 4 and 3. 6 and 7 are great when all players in the game just want to socialize, but I like to keep our regular game nights more focused on strategery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually playing with 2-4 other family members, so we have an idea of who is there and what we want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At home, my SO and I play 2 player very frequently.

There's also a local club that has enough people for several games to go on simultaneously. Currently we meet every Tuesday evening in the beer garden of a pub. There is no sense of "everyone has to play in the same game", and I've never understood that desire. First of all it has the problem of needing to wait for "everyone" to show up, so one late person causes everyone to wait. If people just play in subgroups, then people can come late, leave early, whatever, no problem.

I used to have a weekly group at my house for many years, and generally several games went on in parallel. When a game finishes, people look around to see if it looks like another game will finish soon, to regroup, and if not, no problem, just play another game with the same people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
There is no sense of "everyone has to play in the same game", and I've never understood that desire.

Unfortunately, it makes perfect sense with my group. They all have grown too comfortable with me teaching them the games, so branching off and expecting them to play without me doesn't work so well. Of course I make it worse on myself because I rarely play the same game often enough that they could play without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
russ wrote:
There is no sense of "everyone has to play in the same game", and I've never understood that desire.

Unfortunately, it makes perfect sense with my group. They all have grown too comfortable with me teaching them the games, so branching off and expecting them to play without me doesn't work so well.

Is your group not allowed to play games they already know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

No, don't you see? They must try this new game I just picked up.

"Oh, we can play Ticket to Ride any old time. Let's try this new one over here."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
russ wrote:

"Oh, we can play Ticket to Ride any old time. Let's try this new one over here."

I see a possible solution to your dilemma. For the next 3 months, you should permit yourself to buy new games only if they support no more than 3 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
russ wrote:

So why do you keep bringing the new ones? What would happen if you showed up one time with just two games everybody has played and liked before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
So why do you keep bringing the new ones? What would happen if you showed up one time with just two games everybody has played and liked before?

I'm guessing cold sweat and the shakes and a lot of walking around circles mumbling to himself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
blindspot wrote:

I'm guessing cold sweat and the shakes and a lot of walking around circles mumbling to himself!

I think Ben needs an old board game intervention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get six for my last game day, so that we could run two boards of Settlers of Catan (these are new players, this would be their first Settlers game), as 'three-player' is where I think SofC lives. No more and no less...

Unfortunately, person six cancelled earlier in the week, so a 5-player game of Shogun (mixed bag of 1st and 2nd attempts, and me) it was.

If you can get people to forego their AP for the first game or so (don't worry about it) Shogun is fine for newbies, because it's so structured...

We had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a regular gaming group but will play with friends as and when I can. I had a regular pool of constantly willing players the last place I lived but now rarely have anyone else to play with.

Now, some may find this strange but my reaction to this has been to start pretty regularly solo-ing games [which is not the odd part] and since I prefer strategic/tactical games this works pretty well apart from hidden information games. I will often play all sides trying to make the best decision for "that player". What may seem odd about this is that I almost enjoy this more than playing someone else-- albeit not quite-- because 1. my "opponents" are at a level quite comparable to myself for some strange reason and 2. it allows me to delve deeply into the strategy and tactics of the game, far more than I can playing with someone else. I can even take back a move if I make a mistake and say to myself, "No, that was foolish. That was a bad move for that player after all. Let's see what happens if..."

When I do play someone else, I try out the strategies I have developed. Now, I usually have done well at games but it at least SEEMS like now I do even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.