Popular Tags: [View All]
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This street holds the record for world's most crooked road and is located in Lombard Street, San Francisco, USA.

While this one holds the record for most confusing intersection, a large roundabout consisting of 5 more mini roundabouts, in Swindon, England.

The steepest road in the planet is Baldwin Street, Dunedin.

The widest road in the world, with 100 meters across and 12 lanes of traffic, is Julio Avenue, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

And the narrowest street in the world is Parliament St in Exeter, England. 63cm in some parts so you have to walk it sideways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord, how does anyone navigate that traffic circle? It looks more like a game board with whirlpools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Good lord, how does anyone navigate that traffic circle? It looks more like a game board with whirlpools.

It's actually six of the nine circles of hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

The red car in the upper center has been trying to escape for the past four and a half months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
erak wrote:

The red car in the upper center has been trying to escape for the past four and a half months.

Big Ben! Parliament!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
This street holds the record for world's most crooked road and is located in Lombard Street, San Francisco, USA.

You'll be happy to know that GTA: San Andreas lets you actually try to drive down an analogue of Lombard Street. I manage it by using a motorcycle and cutting straight down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

That looks awesome. You could drive around them in patterns to make it looks like letters from the air, then spell out words to tell off whoever might be watching by satellite or traffic camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, MGBM does not disappoint.

Great Post!!

BTW & FWIW, I've driven down Lombard Street at least 3 times (each time I've visited San Francisco!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:

WTF was that civil engineer thinking? Wouldn't 1 big roundabout be simpler?

Apparently you get a sign before you go in:

But it should say:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I learned to drive (Southend, England) there was a "roundabout full of roundabouts", which was actually often included in the test itself.

The reasoning behind these oddities is, I believe, that if you want the "last" exit, you can actually go the "wrong" way round the large roundabout using the smaller ones. Took a little getting used to, but they actually speed up traffic flow, and I don't recall a high rate of accidents there. Looks of terror on the faces of little old ladies, but no accidents . . .

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=southend,+e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
MGBM wrote:

WTF was that civil engineer thinking? Wouldn't 1 big roundabout be simpler?

I think it was designed by Escher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Where I learned to drive (Southend, England) there was a "roundabout full of roundabouts", which was actually often included in the test itself.

Thanks for mentioning this. I thought the roundabout looked familiar but I have never been to Swindon, at least I don't think I have, but I did live in (and drive in) Southend for a while. That must be why the picture looks familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it about "Saaafend" that you always run into someone from there? Perhaps the fervent desire of many who live there to escape . . . ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
The reasoning behind these oddities is, I believe, that if you want the "last" exit, you can actually go the "wrong" way round the large roundabout using the smaller ones. Took a little getting used to, but they actually speed up traffic flow, and I don't recall a high rate of accidents there. Looks of terror on the faces of little old ladies, but no accidents . . .

Well...
Wikipedia wrote:
In 2005, it was voted the worst roundabout in a survey by a UK insurance company. In September 2007, the Magic Roundabout was named as one of the World's Worst Junctions by a UK motoring magazine. In December 2007, BBC News reported a survey identifying The Magic Roundabout as one of the "10 Scariest Junctions in the United Kingdom".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the madness in motion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The roundabouts I could deal with, but seeing that guy drive on the wrong side of the road made me all jittery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.