Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
News and information can be found here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/2008-price-change.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it, boycott everything, including life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxed the corporate credit cards on Battlelore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's making my order of BSG from Amazon for $26 and free shipping look that much better. Maybe I'll get off the dime and order Days of the Fox from somewhere, too. I do lament the increasingly high price on the Wings of War minis; they're moving beyond the range I want to pay, after having bought all the Series 1 ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After spending a year trying to blow itself up into an OX, I guess the time has come to pay for all that feed....not a good sign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
With the popularity of online game purchasing and huge discounts I think the publishers are taking advantage of that and raising prices. For online buying the price change isn't so big but retail stores will be hit hardest by this. Driving more people to buy online to save some cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Stevenson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to wait to order my copy of BSG, but Amazon still has it on for $26 so I placed my pre-order now.

Perhaps counter intuitively, I think FFG will see a jump in sales from this announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow - some of these retail prices really stretch the boundaries of what a game can reasonably charge.

For example, look at Colossal Arena -

That's cards, colored plastic markers and a rulebook.
For $25.

25% increase.
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect many publishers will raise prices over the next six-to-twelve months. Shipping costs have shot up since the first of the year, as have plastic and paper costs.

This is just an effect of the current economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has actually held off on this for the longest. Mayfair, Days of Wonder, Asmodee, and Z-Man have all had increased prices (seriously, would Agricola have cost $70 just two years ago? No friggin' way.) Asmodee's Fire & Axe went out of print at $49.96 and is coming back at $69.96.

It's unfortunate, but unavoidable. When fuel and energy were cheap, we were getting some insane deals that spoiled all of us.

Moral of the story: BUY THE FFG STUFF YOU WANT NOW. I know I'm going to go scoop up Arkham Horror, which I wasn't planning on picking up until next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
mstevenson wrote:
I was going to wait to order my copy of BSG, but Amazon still has it on for $26 so I placed my pre-order now.

Perhaps counter intuitively, I think FFG will see a jump in sales from this announcement.

Same here, I got it on preorder for: $26.37 with free shipping, I can't see NOT preordering it when the price is going to be $50 on it... Wow, thats half off at Amazon essentially.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased mine copy BSG from amazon. I was going to wait til next hear, but not now!

I know FFG is a very good company, but I'll have to be much more choosy with my purchases from them with this increase. I could see a slight increase, but 25% is pretty steep. I think it might hurt them actually? But, who knows???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG has done a great job of keeping prices reasonable for a long time and this isn't an unfair or unreasonable OR unexpected change on their part. The cost of everything is up and something's gotta give somewhere.

The quality of their games has been and still is extremely high and as long as the quality is there, I'm not too worried about the price jump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
FFG has actually held off on this for the longest. Mayfair, Days of Wonder, Asmodee, and Z-Man have all had increased prices (seriously, would Agricola have cost $70 just two years ago? No friggin' way.) Asmodee's Fire & Axe went out of print at $49.96 and is coming back at $69.96.

It's unfortunate, but unavoidable. When fuel and energy were cheap, we were getting some insane deals that spoiled all of us.

Moral of the story: BUY THE FFG STUFF YOU WANT NOW. I know I'm going to go scoop up Arkham Horror, which I wasn't planning on picking up until next year.

Wow. That's quite an increase on most of their products. I'm glad I just got Tide of Iron, Descent and the War of the Ring expansion. Still, there are several FFG games still on my wish list that may become prohibitively expensive for me.

As for Agricola, it might be a great game, but $70 is just ridiculous. Of course, if they can sell tons of copies at that price, I guess it's justified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware Amazon Pre-orders. I've seen them cancel on Boardgames before...

It's a gamble...

Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Beware Amazon Pre-orders. I've seen them cancel on Boardgames before...

It's a gamble...

Good Luck.

I second this sentiment.. I have it pre-ordered, but they have done this to me on many occasion with Heroscape items. What happens is that another seller has it, but not amazon. Amazon backs down on carrying it and bingo! Order backordered indefinitely (you may cancel if you like though... angry)

Here's hoping this one doesn't go that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that will translate to be quite a bit for us Aussies.

Now I never buy at local game stores as their prices aren't very cheap so this isn't the best comparison, but most of the local game stores has Descent for $169... I can pick it up from another place in oz for $110...

Considering you can pick it up in the US for $60 and converted that is about $70ish Australian... it's a pretty big mark up as is.

So the point is, it makes you wonder how much at US $10 increase will affect the Aussie prices...

Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. TI:3 proper (+expansion) very expensive now. 60 for an expansion really seems to be pushing it. Gotta roll with it i guess. As others have already stated the rising fuel prices can be felt far and wide.(plastic $$$) and shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean that the FFG micro badge is now 18.75gg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jeffery
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
good job I got mine early
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corner a market and then crank up the prices. Take a look at what's in a box and then try and justify the cost.

And I say that with FFG being my favourite games company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty hefty increases across the board. On the other hand Fantasy Flight's games in terms of the quality of the components are the best there is. So in the end I'd rather pay a bit more and preserve that quality.

As for corning the market. The game market at this point is extremely competitive with a lot of companies besides FF that are very solid such as Z-Man and Rio Grand. While I will admit that Fantasy Flight has a very large footprint in the area of Fantasy/Horror type boardgaming I think the market is to crowded to say they have cornered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oil prices have come down significantly, only a tiny proportion of which has been reflected at the pumps. Profiteering is rife.

Look at the contents of a game and try and equate the value.

FFG is the best game producer by far in my opinion in terms of quality and design, but my word they want their pound of flesh for it. Especially this side of the pond where we don't have access to significant discounting.

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Oil prices have come down significantly, only a tiny proportion of which has been reflected at the pumps. Profiteering is rife.

In comparison to prices over the summer, yes, but not when compared to the last few years. Also, paper costs continue to rise, the US dollar continues to suck, and Chinese factories are starting to go through changes that are affecting their production costs.

As it was, based on my own experience with printing, I suspect FFG was charging a little less than they should have for their products. This change offsets some of that, but probably not enough. Plastic pieces are expensive -- around $300 per sculpt and $2,000 per mold isn't unusual -- and FFG is using a lot of plastics in their games so their base costs are already high.

Games are expensive to produce. This is just FFG working to guarantee that they can remain in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
mstevenson wrote:

Same here, I got it on preorder for: $26.37 with free shipping, I can't see NOT preordering it when the price is going to be $50 on it... Wow, thats half off at Amazon essentially.

D.

Ah, BSG=Battlestar Galactica. It took me a minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.