2 Posts

Galloping Pigs» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Voyles
United States
flag msg tools
I had recently scored a direct hit with the game SET for my two nieces, Mallory and Kaye. We all had so much fun gaming I decided to do a rush order of Apples to Apples and Ticket to Ride for some holiday gaming with the whole family. Just before I completed my order, I made a whim decision to "piggy-back" the Galloping Pigs on to that order -- basically adding a cheap game for no additional freight cost.

The game arrived and I was underwhelmed. The photo from showed a close up of darling plastic pigs, but failed to show the boring race track cards you were suppose to lay out to form a small oval track. I would soon find out that the games fun theme and the imagination of 2 little girls would overcome my initial dissapointment.

I read through the rules and played through a simulated dry run on my own -- so maybe when we all set down to play, I wouldn't bog down the proceedings with rule clarifications. At first I figured each player would choose a pig and we would then race against each other, but I found out I was wrong. Each player propells any one of the colored pigs in a leapfrog manner, by playing the matching colored cards from their hands. Interesting. Each time a player advantces a pig to the lead they get to grab a veggie or fruit from a deck of pig grub in the center of the track. Okay I got it, but wait there's a catch! On each players final round, their last card played MUST jump that pig into the lead or they forfeit all their hard earned vegetables and fruit. That's right no score, nada. I wondered how this would work in a real game.

The next day we all got down to some serious pig racing. The contestants were Mallory, Kaye, me, Treg, and Heather. We set-up all the pigs snout to tail, and off we go. The girls immediately started snorting and did a few small squeals as the blue pig took a quick scamper out ahead of the pack. I moved the white pig up, placing him just behind the blue (my hand was filled with white cards, so I had an incentive to keep that little piggie in the running.) After everyone played a round I moved the white pig again, and this time I named the pig. "I move Charlie to the front. GO CHARLIE GO!"

This prompted the girls to start naming the remaining pigs. Mallory, "I move Sweetie Pie (blue). GO SWEETIE, GO! varoooooooooooom"

Kaye then moved and named the red pig, Love. The two remaining pigs were named Lightning (yellow) and Shaft (black). Naming the pigs greatly increased the games interaction.

Kaye, "Someone pleeeeeese help Love, he's falling too far back, he's lonely."

Mallory, "Sweetie Pie, is gonna win."

Kaye, "Sweetie pie stinks link a stinky old pig. Oink, oink"

Mallory, "No she doesn't. I bath her before every race." Note: Sweetie Pie, apparently is our only female racing pig.

Mallory, "Someone show Charlie some love, he's in last place. I think he's hurt."

We raced all night, and then the next morning. We finally boxed up the runaway swine - just in time for the girls to go have Christmas with their Mammaw.

A great game session.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
flag msg tools
That tickles
Re:Session Report
ThreeJs (#79281),

A great game session

A great game session report!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.