Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, Mr. Homo Ludens (that would be yours truly) and two Mr. J's got together for a three player game of T and T. Mr. J and Mr. J the 2nd were new to the game, but since they were avid gamers they had no trouble digesting the rules(well, not literally of course!).

They even scoffed when I suggested that some people have trouble with the rule that you either put post-offices on all cities of one colour or on one of each colour. That should be easy for anyone who's played even just a few hundred games they said. Yes of course.

Early on in the game Mr. J. and Mr. J II were both striving for Baiern, building long routes and trying hard to earn those precious 5 points. Mr. Homo Ludens, meanwhile, was deviously at work building short routes and getting his carriage cards in quick order. He had of course given a proper warning that if someone got the number 7 carriage card the game would end, possibly quite early.

Nobody got Baiern, but Mr. J. was gobbling up the east with his red bits, and Mr. J II was doing quite well in the west (in the Mannheim vicinity) with his little blue post-offices.

They were enjoying themselves immensely, making humorous remarks about how this would be the perfect game for their spouses, and sipping their juice politely (Actually their glasses were empty by this point, but being a gracious host I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they should drink more slowly) when suddenly, out of the blue (actually, I was playing with yellow, but no matter), I surprised them by starting my final route for the 7 carriage, and forcing the endgame.

The next round I finished my route and used the Cartwright official to get the last carriage card with only a 5 city route. It was not just a route - it was a rout, and all because the game got shortened by one turn. I won by a country mile. I had 17 points and Mr. J. and Mr. J II had less than 10. They were close to getting the points from Baiern and from having one post-office in each province outside of Baiern, but they needed one or two more turns to do it.

So the lesson is roughly: you may have a crappy post-office system, and you may have to beat your horses to get the mail delivered quickly, but if it is efficient and makes money that's all that matters.

Now, you may say - but you took advantage of the newbies. Mr. J. and Mr. J II were new to the game. They didn't see it coming.

Well, I will admit experience helped out a little, but these are also experienced gamers. So instead I will relish my victory and do a little victory dance.

In any case, in the next game - a trick taking card game called 99 to which I was new - I got utterly crushed. Probably a case of hubris on my part.

Some of the details of this session report may be inflated or fabricated for rhetorical effect (as if you didn't already know!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Thanks for serving me a smile with my morning coffee. Now if only we can find a way to get this to the front page so that everyone can read this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave de boer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great session report, Mr Homo Ludens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you enjoyed my session report. My thanks still to J and J II for their excellent company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvandyk wrote:

He had of course given a proper warning that if someone got the number 7 carriage card the game would end, possibly quite early.

Being one of the aforementioned Mr Js, I feel compelled to point out that while Mr Ludens did mention that the number seven carriage card would end the game that round, he failed to mention (or at the very least failed to make explicit) that if the last player does this, nobody else gets a turn.

It also bears mentioning that he picked the other Mr J to start, so as to set up such a cunning final move.

All in all, a fun game and since he was such a good host all around, I may even play it again with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you ascribe more cunning to me than I can avouch for (I had no intention at the outset of exploiting the turn order), but I'm glad you put up with my sneaky play at the end. Both Mr. J's are outstanding good sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.