Subject: Werewolf Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a long 4 player session last night fighting the Werewolf with the advanced competative version and came across an interesting situation. On second glance, we may have missed something and I wanted to post here to see if anyone can help out.

It started with one player receiveing the "Curse of the Werewolf" (lets call him Kris). We told Kris he could go to the Doctors office to remove the curse and he asked, "Why? If this is competative and I want all of you to fail, what is my incentive for removing the curse? I'll just keep the curse, become a werewolf hero and attack a hero every mystery phase and still get my full turn."

That, in essence, is the question. Why would anyone want to get rid of the Werewolf curse? Obviously, in the cooperative version, you want it removed, but what about the competative version.

In the end, the Werewolf was hardly wounded and we all wound up being werewolf heroes.

A couple more questions about that:

Do werewolf heroes, when they attack the nearest hero, attack other werewolf heroes?

Can a werewolf hero be wounded and if killed as the werewolf, what happens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wallen68 wrote:
We had a long 4 player session last night fighting the Werewolf with the advanced competative version and came across an interesting situation. On second glance, we may have missed something and I wanted to post here to see if anyone can help out.

It started with one player receiveing the "Curse of the Werewolf" (lets call him Kris). We told Kris he could go to the Doctors office to remove the curse and he asked, "Why? If this is competative and I want all of you to fail, what is my incentive for removing the curse? I'll just keep the curse, become a werewolf hero and attack a hero every mystery phase and still get my full turn."

That, in essence, is the question. Why would anyone want to get rid of the Werewolf curse? Obviously, in the cooperative version, you want it removed, but what about the competative version.

In the end, the Werewolf was hardly wounded and we all wound up being werewolf heroes.

A couple more questions about that:

Do werewolf heroes, when they attack the nearest hero, attack other werewolf heroes?

Can a werewolf hero be wounded and if killed as the werewolf, what happens?

I'm fairly sure that werewolf heroes both attack other werewolf heroes (likely leading to multiple combats) and take wounds (potentially leading to being knocked out as normal) in the combat. Note that a knockout would then be in the Mystery phase, so the werewolf player would potentially miss a turn if KOd.

I think the disincentive is supposed to be the wear that you take from fighting your friends every night, as well as the investigation that those players gain from fighting you off, but there can definitely be advantages to being a werewolf hero...

In the last game we played, I was the werewolf hero Isabella von Took, meaning that I could discard investigation to prevent knock outs, had the Book of Medicine (allowing me to heal every turn), and the silver shot as a defensive measure (though also for the endgame, of course).

I eventually turned the other three players into werewolves as well. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that must be it. I think that when we saw the hero gets investigation for each wound, we just assumed (like all the other times the hero gets investigation instead of wounding the villian) that the werewolf hero doesn't get wounded. The werewolf card doesn't say that so I guess we messed that one up and should have wounded the werewolf hero.

It does bring up another issue though. If you are a werewolf hero and are ko'd during the start of the mystery phase, you lie down in the center of town and lose your next hero turn (because you were ko'd during the mystery phase). But when you stand up at the start of the next mystery phase, you become a werewolf again and go attack another player with the potential of getting ko'd again. This could really suck if you keep fighting someone with a combat of 9 and as a werewolf, you can't use any items or allies. Plus after each k.o. you lose investigation, items or allies.

It seems quite possible that you may spend the rest of the game either in the center of town on your back or fighting as a werewolf with no hope of getting out to try and cure the curse. Am I correct in this?

If this is the case, I can deffinately see why you'd want to get rid of this curse as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one more minor question I have about this situation. When a werewolf hero dies during the mystery round, he returns to town and misses his next hero turn. Then at the start of the next mystery turn, he stands up.

Is the "Start" of the mystery turn over at this point or does he turn into a werewolf as soon as he stands up? I guess it's just a simple question about the definition of "Start of the Mystery Turn" and how it affects a werewolf hero who is lying down in the Town.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallen68 wrote:
There is one more minor question I have about this situation. When a werewolf hero dies during the mystery round, he returns to town and misses his next hero turn. Then at the start of the next mystery turn, he stands up.

Is the "Start" of the mystery turn over at this point or does he turn into a werewolf as soon as he stands up? I guess it's just a simple question about the definition of "Start of the Mystery Turn" and how it affects a werewolf hero who is lying down in the Town.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Well, Mystery Phase Summary says:
1. Start of the Mystery Phase
2. KO'd Heroes are Revived
3. The Villain Heals

Based strictly on that, the "werewolf attack" clearly occurs before KO'd heroes are revived. So a KO'd werewolf hero would not do his attack on that one Mystery Phase, methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.