Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say 3-5 players. Our first play (testing) was with 2. We thought it worked well. What are we missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that with 2 players, it's too easy to get triples, which makes all cards worth 5 points each. With more players, you easily get into situations where it becomes unlikely that you'll be able to get any points at all for some cards, so you really need to push your luck. With 2 players, you should basically never push your luck, just take whatever you see there, the guaranteed 5 points is better than taking a chance for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to get triples but with only 2 you really have to push to get the best cards and not settle for the mediocre. I think it works well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I found that with 2 players, it's too easy to get triples, which makes all cards worth 5 points each.

Huh?
A trio is worth ten points. Surely that should be 3 and 1/3 points each? Or am I missing something?

That said, I think two is actually the best player count for ZF, and every added player reduces the enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right, 10 points per triple. blush Been a while since I played.

But still, I've found that getting triples is too easy in a 2p game. With more players, you can't just grab the first card you see, or else a lot of your cards will end up being worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all replies. I think we will play it with two but definitely try with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sneezy96
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems playing with 2.

For years my friend & I have played this 2 player. We have always played with the goal of completing the rainbow--yes, we also collect 3 of a kinds as well.

I recently taught this game to my 10-yr-old nephew. He focus solely on 3 of a kinds & kicked my butt 7 games in a row. So a 3-4 player game would be better if playing with an opponent that solely focuses on 3 of a kinds.

I personally like the "challenge" of completing the rainbow--I just find the game more enjoyable that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Would removing, say, 20 cards, help randomize the 2-player game so you don't know what triples are in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.