Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
~ ~
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Empireboardgames.com is having a sale that started today for Agricola + Animeeples for $45.

For full disclosure... Empire is a new company that has come under some controversy for being associated with a disreputable seller.

I have made one purchase from them and I am very happy with my experience with them. I just made my second order with Agricola and a few other games so I can get free shipping at the $90 level.

For more info on the controversy, you can read this thread....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/336745/page/1

For info on Empire's repsonse you can read here...
http://www.empireboardgames.com/empiregateway/blog/?p=5

Edited: mispelled website

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who may care, those look like the Mayday/Sphiatt animeeples as seen here http://mayday-games.com/452.html and not the Z-Man/Lookout animeeples. Just thought someone may want to know.

Personally, I did not pre-order Agricola since I had not intended to buy it. Then a wave of Agricolmania swept over me and I purchased it from CoolStuffInc. I have pre-ordered a set of the Mayday animeeples - I have never had previous dealings with Sphiatt (or Empire Games), so was willing to take a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mentis wrote:
I have never had previous dealings with Sphiatt (or Empire Games), so was willing to take a chance.

Good luck with that. The dollar or two you might save with Sphiatt (assuming you don't get ripped off) can't be worth the peace of mind you'd have if dealing with reputable merchants like BoardsAndBits or ThoughtHammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sphere wrote:
The dollar or two you might save with Sphiatt (assuming you don't get ripped off) can't be worth the peace of mind you'd have if dealing with reputable merchants like BoardsAndBits or ThoughtHammer.

Really? Perhaps the buyer simply isn't concerned, thus no peace of mind is lost, let alone threatened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I have placed two orders in the past with Sphiatt, and have had absolutely no problems. I have pre-ordered the animeeples-like pieces from him, and I am secure with the knowledge that, as with past experience, I will get my order.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
mentis wrote:
I have never had previous dealings with Sphiatt (or Empire Games), so was willing to take a chance.

Good luck with that. The dollar or two you might save with Sphiatt (assuming you don't get ripped off) can't be worth the peace of mind you'd have if dealing with reputable merchants like BoardsAndBits or ThoughtHammer.

So they have the animeeples then?

Edit:
Actually I just checked, and thoughthammer has the mayday ones for pre-order
http://www.thoughthammer.com/wooden-farm-animal-set-aka-anim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would like to sell Fakeanimeeples, the fact that they have to do with SPHIATT means I will not.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
As much as I would like to sell Fakeanimeeples, the fact that they have to do with SPHIATT means I will not.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com

So, what exactly has SPHIATT done? I mean I remember some people posting problems with Empire... but?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
So, what exactly has SPHIATT done? I mean I remember some people posting problems with Empire... but?

To answer this question, you might check out the following thread, as well as the links within posts in that thread.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/206265

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com

Threads about SPHIATT are easy to find here, so I won't rehash the issues. I just wanted everyone to know why they won't find this product on my site.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thread in which Seth Hiatt initially claimed no relationship with Empire, only that he had "heard they were good", then had to backtrack when it was revealed that his name was on their business license. He's removed his own posts to cover his tracks, but others quoted him:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/336745

And here was the link where the Empire Games guy said that he was starting the business with his "former boss" (Hiatt):

http://eliteeternity.com/tag/empire-board-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it walks like an Animeeple, and nays like an Animeeple, its probably an Animeeple. Don't see why this new enterprise with a questionable businessman as partial owner would be any different than past businesses with which he was associated. Questionable business characters rarely change, they just change the game being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~ ~
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
In their blog, the owners, Jeremy and Nathan, were upfront about their connection with Hiatt, and they weren't too happy with the way he lied about his association with them on BGG.

I have had one good experience with Empireboardgames with very responsive customer service. I am willing to do business with them, and I recommend giving them a chance.

For those who are not sure about ordering from Empireboardgames, they should just wait and see if there is any negative feedback with Empireboardgames in the coming days or weeks. I am sure negative feedback will be reported quickly.

For those who want Agricola but are unwilling to buy from Empireboardgames... you can get Agricola for $44.80 from Boards & Bits without the Animeeples. They also have some lightly damaged boxes in the $43 range. Yes, I am also a fan of Boards & Bits! As of today, other sellers with Agricola in-stock have it listed from $55.99 to $64.99 according to www.boardgameprices.com.

[Edited for spelling]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got rid of my animeeples for Goa and Fairy tale and some blocks. Then decided I would pre-order some from Sphiatt. I didn't order them through any websites. I just contacted him via geekmail. Made a payment through paypal. When I received the blocks I decided that I didn't need to spend almost $20 on animeeples and decided I wanted to cancel. I contact him via geekmail and he refunded me the money.

I don't know about his history but he was both kind and helpful to me and I just wanted to mention it in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mason
United States
Heyburn
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also never had problems with Sphiatt. I have purchased multiple things from him. I cannot say anything about Empire Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.