Subject: I have "Watch Your Back" set---can I play with miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused...I have "Watch Your Back".

1) Is that a sufficient set to buy minis? I seem to be reading conflicting information (or at least confusing to me) but I've read Burning Drachens and Famous Aces are fine...

2) If "Watch Your Back" is sufficient--which planes do I get? Do they have to match the ones in the box? Or can I just buy two Sopwith Camels and two German planes and I'm set to go with my current box? In short, in buying the minis and the included decks--am I tied to whatever planes are included in my set or not? If this has been answered, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a number of threads about the various combinations, but I'll give you an answer.

WyB has the charts, counters, rulers, etc. that you DON'T get in the miniatures set. That's good.

Unfortunately, WyB has only one damage deck-- the "B" deck (for single machine guns). Except for some of the Series 2 2 seaters, all the miniatures are twin gun planes, which would use the A deck.

The A deck can be found in Famous Aces and Burning Drachens, which is why most people point at those sets for use with the minies.

As an interim measure, you could do something like "double hits" with your B deck, altho it won't really be like an A deck, because the B deck not only has lower damage numbers but more zeros (no damage/miss) cards. If you want to be creative, you could add extra numbers to SOME of the zero cards-- if it's a single gun firing, the card is a zero. If it's a 2 gun plane firing, the hit numbers count. This may be complicated if you are being shot at by both A and B type planes, but I bet you can work it out. (put the A hits "upside down" and if an A plane made the shot, put it on your damage pile with the correct number "up." This is one alternative to separate decks that some of us wish had been done in the beginning, as it would have made a lot of things simpler!)

I have a couple extra A decks, and if you just want one of those, contact me directly or check out my for sale/for trade list.

To the rest of your questions.

Each minie comes with the maneuver deck that matches that airplane, as well as the 'card' for that plane. You can use these decks and cards with the decks and cards that came with Watch Your Back and play "2D," or you can use whatever minies you buy against each other.

In your WyB, you'll get another deck for the DH4 (available in minies) and in fact, WyB has only 3 DH4 types included and all 3 are in minie form. You'll also have a deck for the Hanroit, which will be very competitive with the released minies (it's a fine plane). And you'll have decks for the Nieuport 11, Haldberstadt D3, and Siemens Schuckert D1... which are not competitive with the other minies-- except for the Roland (they fit right together with that.) None of these planes are minies yet, but there is a N 11 type coming later. I don't know about the Hanroit and Halberstadt-- I hope "yes" to both.

You'll also have an Austrian Ufag C1, a rare and unusually fast late war plane, picked--I guess- because it's the only Central Powers 2 seater with anything like the speed of the DH4. No minies for that yet, but they are coming in "Series 3."

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.