Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
franklin johnson
United States
santa cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many people have the board but nothing else. This will make it playable when I have posted the card mix as well; you can make your own money and dope tokens.

SCAM

RULES OF THE GAME
Generaly, SCAM goes like this: you begin on the drop out of College square and keep moving around the AVE untill you have enough money and CONNECTIONS to get off the AVE. You then work the COUNTY and NEW YORK untill you get enough money to put together a smuggling SCAM. This involves FLYING to MEXICO, AFGANISTAN or SOUTH AMERICA, buying dope, smuggling back to the States and selling in NEW YORK (where there’s more money) or in THE COUNTY (where there’s less PARANOIA). To win the game, you have to make ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
If any of the following rules seem vague, unclear or stupid, feel free to change them to suit yourself.
SETTING UP THE GAME - Choose a banker for the money and dope banker to collect and distribute the dope. Each player gets ONE THOUSAND dollars in small bills. Players then select a token and place on DROP OUT OF COLLEGE, roll to see who goes first, roll some joints, fill some pipes and START.
START - A roll of the dice determines the number of squares each player will move. All moves go COUNTER CLOCKWISE and are contained within a section, except for flying and moving to the COUNTY.
BUYING - May be done on GREEN BUY squares. Whether to purchase or not to purchase is optional. THE PLAYER GETS ONE CONNECTION CARD for every buy he or she makes so it is often wise to buy something, even if only one kilo. The player pays his money to the bank and receives his dope from the dope banker. Don’t forget your CONNECTION CARD.
G- stands for Grass (symbolized by the green dope tokens)
H- stands for Hashish (symbolized by the brown dope tokens)
C- stands for Cocaine (symbolized by the blue dope tokens)
SELLING- May be done on ORANGE SELL SQUARES at the prices and amounts listed. Whether to sell or not is optional. To complete a sale, one must first spin the SPINNER – the red inner circle will determine the success of the transaction. If the deal is successful, the player turns in the dope and collects the money from the respective banker. If the player is busted he or she surrenders the dope and goes to LAW AND ORDER.
PARANOIA- When a player lands on a PARANOIA square he must draw a card from the PARANOIA pile and follow the instructions on it.
CONNECTIONS- are important as they allow the player to control the movement of his piece rather than relying on the random toss of the dice. Instead of rolling the dice a player may use a CONNECTION card to move forward the number of spaces written on that card. The card must be returned to the stack and only one card may be used per turn.
GETTING OFF THE AVE- No one likes to stay on the street forever. A player can leave by going to THE COUNTY or flying to NEW YORK or MEXICO. Moving to THE COUNTY may be done from any space on THE AVE by paying a $2000 moving fee (only paid once during the game). The player then places his token at the COUNTY AIRPORT.
FLYING- To get to THE AIRPORT the roll of the dice must at least equal the number of squares between you and it or more. Or, the players next turn, he may then fly to any of the places listed at the airport merely by paying the fare listed. If the player has a half fare card, he may use it by returning it to the CONNECTIONS CARD pile and paying but half price.
SMUGGLING- To take dope from a foreign country to the STATES, one must SMUGGLE. This takes place on his FLYING turn. To SMUGGLE, the player must spin the spinner with an eye to the eye to the yellow outer circle as an indicator of his fate; if one SMUGGLES successfully, he is free to go on and try to sell his wares and, of course, if he is BUSTED he must go to LAW N’ ORDER and his dope is confiscated.
LAW N ORDER- Keep your mouth shut and do what you’re told. Use only one die to move. When you are sprung, you return to the AIRPORT of the section where you were busted.
URANUS- Occasionally, everyone gets too far out and lands on URANUS. To come down, the player must roll an odd number on his turn, which returns him to the AIRPORT of the section in which he flipped out.
INDIA- A player can go to India at any time in the game for any length of time he chooses. He may return to the airport of the section from whence he departed at any time he chooses provided, of course, that it is his turn. A PLAYER CANNOT BE BUSTED WHILE STAYING IN INDIA.
BUSTS- A player may choose to BUST an opponent simply by landing on the same square where the opponent is. The player who is BUSTED must go to JAIL and the player who did the BUST gets one half of the BUSTED dude’s dope. The rest is returned to the dope bank. The player who did the BUST, however, must lose one half of his CONNECTION CARDS.
OFF THE BOARD JIVE- All sorts of OFF THE BOARD DEALING is encouraged. People can smuggle for each other, finance each others trips, sell CONNECTION CARDS, or do anything else they can get away with. It’s good practice.
C 1971 BROWN BAG ENTERPRISES
There were some written instructions on the sheet from which this was copied. Probably added by the last owner, not the makers, but here they are, for what they're worth.

-If can't pay - go to Jail.

-Can use C[onnection] cards in Jail

-Flying takes one turn.

I would suggest two other things:

1. No busting at Airports! People will often just hang around other airports, then fly in suddenly when you show up. Any number of players may be at an Airport, using this rule.

2. (A) The 'Getting off the Ave.' rule is unclear. Say that once you pay your $2000 'moving fee', you then have a place in The County. When you are on the Ave., you may go to that place at any time instead of rolling the dice, by moving your piece to the County Airport. Like the 'India' rule. You may still fly wherever you can afford and you need not pay the $2000 to leave the Ave.; it is just an extra moving option you can buy.

(B) Alternatively, say THE HEAT IS ON. No one can leave the Ave. till they scrape together $2000 to move to a base in The County, far away from prying eyes. In this version, the pigs are like totally out to get you, man. MuHahaha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sedona Arizona
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey, any chance you could post what's on the Connections and Paranoia cards? I only remember the one about stepping in dog shit. lol!
Thanks for posting the rules. The end of the tube got lose years ago and so no telling where the pieces ended up.
Thanks!
Sedona

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franklin johnson
United States
santa cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will in the spring, when I clean out the attic - cant put my hand on it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zulbat Fred
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
When are you going to post the game pieces? Do you have a complete game to sell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franklin johnson
United States
santa cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I did clean out the attic - then put everything in storage till the house got re-constucted *sigh*, now I get to re-assemble my whole library this summer. I expect to run across my copy of *Scam* then, and post the pieces. Don't think there was more than one copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zulbat Fred
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Step in dog shit was not actually one of the connection cards. It was one of the game board spaces in New York. Step in Dog Shit Lose $1000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zulbat Fred
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Spent yesterday making all the dope tokens, connections, paranoia cards and money for the game board. I'm missing two connections cards which are "area specific" cards. My dope tokens came out way cool. Had fun making up the money, took printable Monoploy money and put in Leaves and "SCAM" to make SCAM money. Didn't know what the actual denominations should be so I went with 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, 20000, 50000, and 100000 dollar bills. I made the 100000 bills much more elaborate so they would stand out from the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. C. Wright
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Hey, could you please tell me what the dope tokens, connections cards and paranoia cards look like?

I really want to build this game, please tell me what the cards that you made are.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raina Wolfstar
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
SCAM CARDS
SCAM CARDS

I am posting the cards to the game here. Many people posted that the cards for the original set seem to be deteriorating. The set I have is a copy of a friend's game my dad made back in 1979. He stated that the cards in the friend's set also suffered the same fate, and made new decks for them when he made his copy. (He also admitted that he added a couple of cards of his own to the paranoia deck, so take my posting with a grain of salt.)

Marijuana counters: Simple enough. Come in kilogram increments, starting at 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100. You could make more in other increments if it suits you.

Hashish and Cocaine: Same as Marijuana, except they are measured in pounds.

Connection cards:
10 - Move 1 space forward
10 - Move 2 spaces forward
10 - Move 3 spaces forward
10 - Move 4 spaces forward
02 - Move 2 spaces backwards
02 - Move 3 spaces backwards
02 - Make a score ... Move to the nearest Buy Square
02 - Dealing Time. Move to the nearest Sell Square
02 - Specific Area Card (Suspect this is a move to a specified area card.)
05 - Half Fare cards

Paranoia Cards:
01 - You feel you are doing nothing with your life. Lose one-half your dope, go back to college, and collect $1,000
02 - You're busted... Lose all dope and go to jail.
01 - You buy a pound of powdered sugar... Pay $500
01 - Ripped off for $1,000 by two bisexual supermarket checkout boys...
01 - You become a Narc... Every player pays you $100 to keep quiet.
01 - You are being set up for a bust... Lose two turns while avoiding trouble.
01 - You think your best friend is a Narc... Lose 5 connection cards
01 - There's a car following you... Lose one turn shaking him.
01 - They search you but forgot to check your bag... Lose one turn recovering.
01 - You were being followed and stashed your dope. Lose two turns getting it back.
01 - You suspect your tabber of cutting the dose... Pay $750 for a new set-up.
01 - You go on a Jesus trip... Every player gives you $50 to keep quiet.
01 - Your credit card gets confiscated... Lose one turn.
01 - You forgot where your stash is... Lose two connection cards.
01 - You think you may have dropped two hits of Strychnine... Lose one turn.
01 - They're watching you!!! Go back three spaces.
01 - Two guys in suits and a grey car move in across the street... Lose one turn
01 - The cops raided your stash pad... Lose 3 Connection cards.
01 - You think this is bad? Pay $500 or draw two more Paranoia cards.
01 - You go on a Jesus trip and lose your mind... Go to Uranus.
02 - You've got to act quickly before they get you... Go directly to the next deal square.
01 - You marry the daughter of the State Atty. General. Draw 4 Connection cards.
02 - It's all in your mind. Go to the space of your choice immediately.
01 - You begin shooting speed... Lose all Connection cards.
01 - You get so uptight you cut your hair... Lose 4 Connection cards.
01 - Bad LSD trip. Go to Uranus.
01 - Your best friend gets busted. Lose 4 Connection cards.
01 - You nod out in the middle of the Crosswalk... Go to Jail.
01 - Your name appears in Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers notebook... Fear eats your brain. Go to Uranus.
01 - You forgot where you left your hash pipe... Go back two spaces looking for it.
01 - You have been cursed by a chick who knows Voo-Doo... Lose one turn or $50.
01 - Go to Jail. Meet old school chum... Draw 2 connection cards.
01 - You spend $250 to rent a stash pad.
01 - Your new girl-friend was your supplier. Draw 2 Connection cards.
01 - Coke on your mustache... Lose 1 Connection card.
01 - Caught shoplifting... Lose one turn explaining.
01 - You fall out in the airport bathroom and miss your plane... Lose one turn or $50.

Suggestions:
1) If you have a friend or relative who counts cards, you may wish to make two or three copies of each deck.
2) If you have to recreate decks for your game, I suggest you copy the card lists into a program like Microsoft Excel, set up a mail form in a table using a program like Microsoft Word, and print them out on printer friendly card stock from a company like Avery.
3) As tempting as it might be, rolling papers do not work well when making new cards. You are better off sticking to colored card stock.
4) The numbers in front of each card are the frequency that card shows up in the deck.
5) If you decide to add your own cards to the deck, just be honest if anyone asks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raina Wolfstar
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I also have a clean copy of the game board, if anyone needs one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.