Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules for the Jamaica map state;

Turn order alternates, with the player going first paying $5. If the player who is to go first does not want to (or cannot) pay the $5, the other player has the option to pay $5 to go first. If the other player declines, the original player goes first for free.

My question is;
Turn 1: Player A declines paying $5 to go first, Player B takes up the opportunity and becomes Fist Player for that turn.
Turn 2: Who now has the first opportunity to pay to be First Player?
- Player B since Player A had the opportunity last turn.
- Player A since ultimately Player B was First Player last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

My question is;
Turn 1: Player A declines paying $5 to go first, Player B takes up the opportunity and becomes Fist Player for that turn.
Turn 2: Who now has the first opportunity to pay to be First Player?
- Player B since Player A had the opportunity last turn.
- Player A since ultimately Player B was First Player last turn.

Answer 1 is correct (Player B). Player A must decide if he want to pay for the advantage on the last turn and now Player B must decide if he want to pay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the basis for your interpretation? "Turn order alternates" could easily be interpreted both ways, as noted by the original poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hays
United States
Raymore
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same question in our game. Wish we could get a clarification from the designer, or somebody "in the know." I think we played where, odd numbered turns, the same player always had the opportunity to buy turn order first.

I can see how it could be interpreted either way (my buddy and I disagreed on the preferred interpretations as well), but I think option 1 (player B, in answer to the question) is correct. If you think of "turn order" and "going first" as two different things, it makes sense of the rules. The turn order alternates every turn, but going first depends on whether, when it is your turn, you are willing to pay for it (or when passing, the other guy is also not willing to pay for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Bibeau
Canada
Lachine
Québec
flag msg tools
I assumed it was actually answer #2. Implementing answer #1 requires keeping track of two turn orders : the "sequential" turn order, and the "actual" turn order.

Simply giving the 1st-player opportunity to the player who was second last turn makes it much simpler. You give that player the opportunity regardless of how he ended up being second. Whether it was his turn to be second, or whether he got the #1 spot stolen from him. No need to keep track of history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.