Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is joining some sort of neighborhood group and she had the idea of organizing a monthly boardgames night. Evidently, I was not too opposed to the idea but she wants me to come up with a paragraph to advertise this opportunity.

I haven't come up with anything good and I was hoping fellow BGGers would help me. Part of the idea is to avoid people think they will come here to play Scrabble, Monopoly or Risk.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Catch Paragraph
Ronaldo wrote:
Part of the idea is to avoid people think they will come here to play Scrabble, Monopoly or Risk.

Why not simply list some of the games you will play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could but I think it is unlikely anybody would recognize them. I am even afraid it could pass the idea that we would be playing necessarily complex games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would highlight those parts of gaming that make it most fun for you. For me, it would include the social interaction of playing these games and, potentially, meeting new people and playing games that require some strategy - they aren't all luck.

Also, I think if you want to make sure people aren't going to think they'll play Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk then I would include a sentence that reads, "We will not play Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk."

Finally, I need to know if your "neighborhood" includes all of the Madison/Dane County area or just people within a square mile or so. We might wanna crash your party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
I think I would highlight those parts of gaming that make it most fun for you. For me, it would include the social interaction of playing these games and, potentially, meeting new people and playing games that require some strategy - they aren't all luck.

Also, I think if you want to make sure people aren't going to think they'll play Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk then I would include a sentence that reads, "We will not play Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk."

Finally, I need to know if your "neighborhood" includes all of the Madison/Dane County area or just people within a square mile or so. We might wanna crash your party.

You have permanent invitation. I have been hoping we would get together to play Agricola, Puerto Rico and, possibly, Power Grid.

"Boardgame Night
Come and have a fun time. Enjoy new and old friends. Learn and play modern boardgames. 3rd thursday of the month."

Ok, lets say this is the starting point. How can we make it better? Or, worse?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
"Boardgame Night
Come and have a fun time. Enjoy new and old friends. Learn and play modern boardgames. 3rd thursday of the month."

Ok, lets say this is the starting point. How can we make it better? Or, worse?

How about adding something along the lines of "Like board games, but bored of the usual Monopoly, Risk, and Scrabble? Then come along and learn (insert your favourite games here)"

That way the message is quite clear without bluntly saying that you dislike Monopoly etc.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different sentiment: Come explore a European world that extends beyond the familiar Scrabble, Monopoly and Risk.

And something else minor - I'd say that what you are really asking for is a Catchy paragraph. To me a Catch paragraph conjures up the image of a rules statement or something that trips people up if not paying full attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then we have:

Boardgame Night
Come and have a fun time. Enjoy new and old friends. Learn and play boardgames beyond Monopoly and Scrabble. 3rd saturday of the month from 4-6PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Come spend the night playing games you never knew existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Come play cool new boardgames at our house and maybe Brett Favre will come back to Green Bay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
"Board Game Night.
Games are not just for kids anymore. Come and explore the brave new world of modern board games. You can explore the world, build a grand cathedral, manage a company, visit exotic places, all in under 2 hours per game while having a good time. The rules are simple, and will be taught, but the ideas and strategies will make you think. It's not just Monopoly anymore.
Requirements: an open mind, a sense of adventure.
Stuff Provided: games, chairs, tables, a good time.
See you there,
Your friendly neighborhood Board Games Man."

What do you think? It was what I could cobble together in about 5 minutes, and hopefully you can use it as a jumping off point to write up something more to your tastes.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
all in under 2 hours per game

I'd be very leery of saying a time duration like that. Up to 2 hours for 1 game is a long time for many people, so you risk scaring off people who could otherwise come and enjoy lots of BGG-style games that are much shorter (whether 2-player strategy games like Gipf or Hive, or lighter card games like Guillotine or Bug Bluff, short euros like Samurai and Gheos, multiplayer abstracts like Rumis or Blokus, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Do you like fun? Would you like to explore the lattest and greatest games from around the world? If not don't come to holly's board game night, first tuesday at the month. Bread provided, please bring your own jam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb
To bring 'em in, keep it simple:

"Free Beer and Pizza!"

Once they're in, deadbolt the doors. Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the great ideas. This was the final version and it worked well.

"Board Games
Come and have a fun time. Learn and play board games beyond Monopoly and Scrabble. Simple rules, strategy and decision making involved. Some of the games we play are:

(Pictures of TTR, Kingsburg and Agricola)

Older kids (12+) may join the adults and play the games; younger kids can play with our kids (ages 2, 6 and 8).
When: 4th Saturday of the month (starting September 27th)
4 – 6 pm
Where: ***
Lilia and Marcus *** (608)***-******* ***@*****.***"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.