flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Twilight Struggle because:

- wargame-ish
- card-driven
- fairly simple, but exciting
- thematic

Request recommendations for a multiplayer game like Twilight Struggle that would feature these elements. I have already played and considered Friedrich, and it's a pretty good match, but I'm looking for something even closer.

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration in this matter, I remain,

Yours Truly,

Andrew Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:

gulpyukgulpyuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"sword of Rome"
and
"here I stand"

come to mind. But both have thick rulebooks comparing to Twilight Struggle. Mostly because they have both war rules and card rules.

Sword of Rome is a good tense game that is playable at 3, and especially good for 4 players. Apparently there is a 5 player version out (or soon to be out) with the 5th player playing Carthage. Here I stand has all sorts of rules for the religious struggle to learn as well. Here I stand is good for 3 and shines at 6. (not so good for 4 and 5.)

Both are tense and are card driven. But there are no card driven multiplayer games out there (that I know of) that are both as good and as simple to learn as Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword of Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
pwn3d wrote:

gulpyukgulpyuk

I whole heartedly disagree with Brad. Manifest Destiny is a really good game. I think you'll get a lot of bad looks from fans of Age of Renaissance, but it's not available and MD is a great game on it's own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:

Yes, this will get you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Successors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Successors?

I've heard this one bandied about. What say the rest of you? Is it less complex than Here I Stand, or Sword of Rome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to off the beaten path a little and recommend Imperial. It's isn't card driven but it does incorporate a lot of everything else you asked for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
I'm going to off the beaten path a little and recommend Imperial. It's isn't card driven but it does incorporate a lot of everything else you asked for.

Thanks, Ayrk, but, as you suspected, way off base. I've played Imperial, and that's not at all what I'm looking for here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swing and a miss. Well at least I got up to bat.

How about Nexus Ops? It's not so much card-driven as card-modified but it is a great light wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Manifest Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay...this might seem like an odd suggestion, but I think that United Nations is probably the closest in feel. (For me at least) I know it's not card-driven, but it's a decent game in its own right. It handles up to four players.

Then again, there's the problem of finding it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
Swing and a miss. Well at least I got up to bat.

How about Nexus Ops? It's not so much card-driven as card-modified but it is a great light wargame.

Again, play it on occasion, and quite like it, but not the type of game I'm looking for here.

0 for 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syphon wrote:
Okay...this might seem like an odd suggestion, but I think that United Nations is probably the closest in feel. (For me at least) I know it's not card-driven, but it's a decent game in its own right. It handles up to four players.

Then again, there's the problem of finding it now.

Actually, not that odd a suggestion, considering the theme. And I just picked-up a copy of it a couple of weeks ago, and will be trying it out at some point, due to the success we had playing another game that looks a lot like it--Cold War. If it is like Cold War, however--despite the fact that we enjoyed Cold War--it's not quite what I was looking for here.

So far it looks like I need to try Manifest Destiny, and maybe Successors (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) is a multiplayer ccg wargame. I ve never played it but would love feedback on how well that plays for the non French/British players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.