Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Stephen Stills Anonymous - A support group for wargamers with poor impulse control... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with

I'd like to welcome you all to the opening night of the new BGG chapter of Stephen Still Anonymous. My name is Andrew.

Hi Andrew.

For those of you unfamiliar with SSA, we're a support group dedicated to helping wargamers reign in their buying sprees whilst encouraging them to try out those unplayed games in their closets.

We only have two rules at SSA:

1) Members must be honest about the played/unplayed status (PUPS) of their personal collection.

2) Members may not, under any circumstances, disclose another member's PUPS to a non-member -- especially so if said non-member is in a legal partnership with the SSA member.

For each of you here today, the challenge is great, but the goal is simple, being able to stand before us and proudly declare:
I have played 100% of my collection!

As founding member of the BGG chapter of SSA, I'm obligated to be the first to stand before you here tonight...

As you all now know, my name is Andrew. I began wargaming during a lengthy hospital stay at the end of 2006. My first game was Ambush! and it remains, I must confess, unplayed.

It's ok, Andrew!
Yeah, you'll get there buddy!

Since then my collection has steadily swelled to 27 titles, only 16 of which I've played. I routinely pencil-in games on the calendar, The Civil War for Winter vacation, 1776 & Bitter Victory: The Invasion of Sicily, 1943 for Summer, only to see them slowly pass by unmet.

The recent addition of a wife to my gaming closet, and her stubborn but well-meaning insistence that I play these before I buy more, was the final push I needed to join SSA.

It is my hope that by the end of 2008 I'll have played 20 of those 27, and be fully caught up by Summer 2009.

Go get em, Andy!

There, now it's time to open the floor to our new members here tonight. Don't be shy! Step forward, tell us a little about yourself and how you came to join us, and then share with us your personal goal so that we can all strive together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I proffer MINE for "Free!" and the 'cheap bastards' don't appreciate it as t'were! Anyways, then what about having plenty actually produced through these others, and SOLD from anyone willing to provide the "business" acumen to ADAPT for such? I find anything that invigorates even an OLD 'standby' to include improved and NEW "kinds" is fully worth MY 'efforts'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Darden
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You people are mad!

I don't have a problem. I'm not the one with a problem.

No, no, no, no, no, no, I am not in denial!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But wait! There is an easy and fast cure - just send your unplayed wargames to me. I'd love to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a bad sign that I just created the following Geeklist about wargames I'm considering getting when I haven't even played all the ones I have?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34313
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its to late.I only have 2 games on preorder and there are less then ten (well maybe a dozen) that remain unpunched (all new).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good evening Andrew,

My name is Ian, and I'm a wargame shopaholic. I have at least a dozen unplayed games in my collection, some from my birthday before last ! I'm too ashamed to name them. I try to cut back, but those Ebay bargains just keep calling to me with their siren songs ! My goal is to retire early and spend my twilight years as a serial gamer - if you can't beat them, join them, as the saying goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze, I must'a wandered into the wrong room.

I thought this was about wargames that had poorly implemented impulse movement mechanics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually want me to COUNT them ALL? How much time on my hands do you think I have?

Do solo plays count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
17 of 27!

Original print run, 1974. That predates my establishment by nearly a decade.

Granted, I only managed to play the Basic Game, but I played that twice, refereed another round for non-gamer friends, and have yet another game going on via PBEM with my brother back in the States...

And the smell... goddamn do old games smell awesome. If I was a publisher I'd try to isolate that musty scent and spray it all over my new games. Sales would up 10-fold.

Oh, and I almost got another one scratched off the unplayed list - Panzer Grenadier: Semper Fi! Guadalcanal - but the MIL crashed that party on my day off by showing up at the neighborhood home appliance store unannounced and then calling me to see "if I was busy" in order to force us to buy a new washer/fridge.

I was really looking forward to playing FTF with legit hidden Japanese units too... oh well, another day!

Next game to be scratched off the list? Probably Panzer Grenadier: Semper Fi! Guadalcanal if I can wrap up my current Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge scenario that's setup in the Foreign Teacher's Office at the university. Bitter Victory: The Invasion of Sicily, 1943 is also looking tempting though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

I will admit it... I'm a board game bulimic.

I buy games, open them, examine the components, read the rules, leave them unpunched, stash them in my game room, and then sell them on eBay a few months later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone... My name is Caleb, I am 21, and I have bought more games than I can play. Right now I own 10 wargames and have played 9 of those. My only unplayed game is Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3. I hope to play it in the near future.

I have also lost my sole gaming partner. He has moved to downtown Atlanta, which is about an hour and some change from where I live, so gaming has become sparse.

Now, my list is so complete partly because my girlfriend of over two years bought me Stalingrad Pocket II for my birthday and as part of the gift told me she would play it with me once. We set up and played the smallest scenario and immediately after she made me set it up again. She loved it. So, I am definitely going to be buying more SCS games now that I have a partner for them.

I currently have 6 games on pre-order and find myself struggling to resist buying more.

I am an addict and it is truly sad that I play my games about once and then move on to the next. I wish I could stop and play them repeatedly, but it is a compulsion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make it sound like a bad thing.

While shopping online has appeal, there is nothing like entering the hallowed walls of a large local FLGS and glancing amongst the icons of past and present gaming glory. The anticipation of catching a glimpse of something new. Then the pulse races and the mouth dries as you spot the next must have box of goodness. There is no real guilt. After all the dollars were only meant to visit your wallet and not to remain like guests overstaying from the holidays.

Then your at home with no real memory of the miles travelled since your purchase. Fine motor controls are tested as you create a slit in the shrink wrap sparing glossy box. The smell, like a new car, only better, as you lift the lid against the slightest tug of resistence.

What do you do first? Open the maps? Crack the rule book? Examine the pieces, perhaps looking for a kindred soul amongst the counters or meeples. But, shortly, the rules beckon. They must be consumed in frenzy which ignores the need to eat and which quickly displace Sudoku or Time magazine within the throne of power. Perhaps some greater secret of the cosmos will be revealed within the designer acolytes text.

Finally, and this is pure bliss for the wargamers. There is the virtual catatonic trance as you lovingly seperate the counters from there sprues. Clipping and sorting with the slightest dread that the task will end and the depression will set in when the task is complete.

And then some fool comes along and suggests that no more acquisitions be made. Why? Becasue you haven't "played" with the last one. As though playing (and potentially degrading or besmudging them is somehow necessary).

No my friends cast your eyes to the next one and the next. The sublime awaits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:

My first game was Ambush! and it remains, I must confess, unplayed.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does owning a game, but playing another person's copy (keeping your own unpunched and perhaps still in shrink) count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:
My first game was Ambush! and it remains, I must confess, unplayed.

What, you couldn't find an opponent...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
Does owning a game, but playing another person's copy (keeping your own unpunched and perhaps still in shrink) count?

It absolutely counts as being played. However, if you play another person's game and then buy your own... and then never play that person's copy OR your own again -- that's unplayed.

Salo sila wrote:
What, you couldn't find an opponent...?

Actually, and ironically, it's the guarantee that I'll always have an opponent for these games that keeps them off the table. So long as I have a real opponent the solo games sit on the shelf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
18 of 27!
18 of 31! (shit!)

PG in the Pacific, with extra L's for everyone! I was finally able to play this during a long lunch break Monday with another human, and the hidden units were pretty damn cool. See my session report here.

I'm still a big fan of the PG series, although I'm finding its strength lies in being able to jump around to different theaters. If I only owned one part of the series I'd probably get bored with it and have to take a break.

I've got most of Thursday and ALL of Friday off this week, and with a bit of luck will be able to drop some bombs on Tokyo (B-29 Superfortress) for the first time...

But, fellow members of SSAnon, I had a set-back last week. I... I bought more games!

It's okay, Andrew!
Yeah! Nobody's perfect!
We'll help you play 'em, pal!

Christmas is coming, and I know I'm not allowed to get any more new games... so, instead, I bought some for my buddy and he bought a bunch for me. I feel so guilty...

Hang in there, Andy!

Maybe if we could sing the song again, it'd strengthen my resolve and help me feel better?

You heard him, lads!

Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought another 3 last week! Help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My name is Keith and I am a wargame shopoholic.

I own 123 games of which only 34 games are not wargames. Of the vast majority of my 89 wargames only 24 games have been played. Just recently I came across some ATO deluxe magazine at a retailer for dirt cheap, so, I bought 13 of them plus some boxed games that were 50% off retail. I frequently trade for games as well. My 2009 resolution is to get up to 50 wargames played, at least once.

So to sum it up, I am currently at 24/89

Bowing my head in shame,
Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I don't really want to count, but here goes.

Of about 150 games:

Of the 102 are what I would consider wargames:

31% - Played 32 face-to-face at least once, possibly solo also
16% - Played 16 solo only
53% - 54 games Never played but all punched and clipped, rules perused, many have been set up and toyed around with, maybe a few turns.

Of the 41 I don't consider wargames:

65% - Played FTF
34% - Never played (I don't solo non-wargames)

To be honest, the numbers are even worse that what it looks like since many of the games have been played only once or twice, and sometimes with someone elses copy of the game. And they don't add up quite right due to expansions, and because it was hard to count my games through the tears... cry

Which is why I so excited that I just discovered trading on BGG! I made my first few trades this week and it rocks. My neglected but well taken care of games find a good home, and I get something new to punch, clip, peruse, and dream about playing in 5 years when my boys are old enough not just for Memoir 44, Heroscape, and Hold the Line, but also for Europe Engulfed, Bitter Woods, etc.

By the way - punched but near mint copies of Brute Force, Conquest of Paradise, and Clash for a Continent are looking for a good home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do expansions count if you have played the base game but no the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Waiting for four more to arrive, got another Ebay bid in, and won a couple of others. Totally unplayed : fifteen now, with several others only played once. My head hangs low in shame !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I bought 13 of them plus some boxed games

"We're not worthy !"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
Quote:
I bought 13 of them plus some boxed games

"We're not worthy !"

At 70% off retail, I could not pass them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.