Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I've got fantastic worker placement games, like Caylus and Stone Age and Agricola. And I've got some great auction games, like Vegas Showdown and Ra. Other worker placement games (Leonardo Da Vinci, AoE III) and other auction games (Amun-Re, Modern Art) are on my radar, but I'd really like to acquire a few very different games.

I've got two weird physical games, Polarity and Techno Witches, which are certainly different from anything else I've played, but physical games just don't interest me as much as board games.* And I've got Glory to Rome, which I know means that RftG and San Juan are worth consideration since I'd clearly enjoy them. But I've already got Glory to Rome, and I want to get something completely different.

What good board games can you recommend that aren't really like anything else out there? I have Tikal, which is unlike anything else I've played, and appreciate it for that. And I want more things like that, only, not like that.

*a source of consternation to my girlfriend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Himalaya. Programmed movement + Pick-up and Deliver. Maybe also something in the real-time realm? Space Dealer and Factory Fun are enjoyable, but the soon-to-arrive Galaxy Trucker tops them both as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a "tile-laying" game: Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai, Through the Desert, Attika, Carcassonne....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some abstract strategy games:

Yinsh
Dvonn
Hive
Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like you don't have any set collection games or deduction games? You can look up games by mechanic, then sort by rating. That's what I'd suggest starting with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
How about a "tile-laying" game: Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai, Through the Desert, Attika, Carcassonne....

Hmm... I have the T&E card game and really don't like it, and wasn't too fond of Carcassone when I played it either. I enjoyed Through the Desert and Samurai well enough though, so it's not as if I dislike the whole mechanic.

Eeeville wrote:
Try some abstract strategy games:

Yinsh
Dvonn
Hive
Ingenious

Ah, I always forget about these. I have Hive, and have played and enjoyed Ingenious. Played Dvonn a few times, and although I never quite figured it out, I enjoyed the pieces. I have heard good things about Yinsh...

BoardGameJunkies wrote:
Sounds like you don't have any set collection games or deduction games? You can look up games by mechanic, then sort by rating. That's what I'd suggest starting with.

How long is my "BGG Newbie" excuse good for? Because I didn't know you could look up games by mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Zikeš
Czech Republic
Kremze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I'd suggest Himalaya. Programmed movement + Pick-up and Deliver. Maybe also something in the real-time realm? Space Dealer and Factory Fun are enjoyable, but the soon-to-arrive Galaxy Trucker tops them both as far as I'm concerned.

Galaxy Trucker - people love it or hate it.

Ingenious - game for anyone, easy to teach, heavy to master.

Mr. Jack - interesting deduction game for 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:

Neat, that's just the type of thing I'm looking for. Himalaya sounds cool (although the mixed reviews make me want to read up more about it), and real-time strategy games sound fascinating.

Pert wrote:
Galaxy Trucker - people love it or hate it.

Ingenious - game for anyone, easy to teach, heavy to master.

Mr. Jack - interesting deduction game for 2P.

I've read about Mr. Jack, but never cared much for mastermind/clue/guesswho, so wasn't sure if deduction games just weren't my cuppa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Hermagor. Very good and quite different to most other eurogames out there. There are some strong similarities to Elfenland (another good game) but apart from that I can't think of anything similiar. The game has you planning routes on a map delivering tokens that you acquire in a kind of mini game. Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about war games?

Shogun is a fantastic euro-war game which is more-or-less unique (IMO)

The basic action dice mechanic in War Of The Ring is almsot unique as well (and its a great game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:

Hmm... I have the T&E card game and really don't like it

IMHO, the board game is way better. I find the card game fiddly and annoying to play. I think you should try this out if you have the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't mention role selection (which I suppose is similar to worker placement). Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy are the most obvious candidates.

You also don't mention any wargames, so maybe some of the more European style wargames (1960: The Making of the President, War of the Ring (First Edition). They are mostly 2-player, which might be a minus for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some thematic games? Marvel Heroes is quite original but you have to at least like the theme a bit. It's by the same designers of War of the Ring.

Or some cooperative games? Arkham Horror is excellent and very thematic, but if it's too long/complex there are other coop games like Lord of the Rings or Pandemic. Ghost Stories is about to be released and seems very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Niagara. I'm not really crazy about it, but I can't think of anything like it. You're trying to go down a river and grab gems. But really you spend most of your time trying to get back up the river, because the river moves every turn and tries to push you toward the falls.

Tales of the Arabian Nights. Not released yet. Not like any other board game, anyway. It does sound somewhat like Choose Your Own Adventure books, but with more game elements. I think it will have more of a story component than most board games, and the story will be integrated with the game much more than other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Some more additions, maybe not all totally unique, but with only a few in their category.

Tsuro. I call it the Tron Light Cycle Game: the Boardgame. It's also pretty similar to Metro. You play tiles with criss-crossing paths on them, and you're trying to manipulate where the paths go.

The End of the Triumvirate. This game was for me different from most war / empire building games because you are not trying to hold some core territory and hopefully expand at the expense of others. In a few turns, your territory might be on the opposite side of the board from where it was. Mobility is high. You can actually move across the board and back in one turn. What you try to control is highly tactical.

Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown. This is essentially an abstract game, even though it has nice thematic artwork, but unlike most abstract games you're familiar with. Instead of playing on a grid of spaces, whether square or hexagonal, you're playing on a system of paths. Well, the state of the pieces lies on hexagonal tiles, but instead of having a fixed relationship like most abstract games, the connections between the tiles are random, assymetrical, and vary from game to game. You control your own pieces and sometimes you even control your opponent's pieces as they travel with you (or even not with you). I recommend starting with two players to get the full understanding of the game. Then you can move up to three players if they're all equally experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Funny note: When I saw the title of this thread, I thought perhaps [Empty Set] was a new game or expansion from the makers of Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Funny note: When I saw the title of this thread, I thought perhaps [Empty Set] was a new game or expansion from the makers of Set.

Heh, yeah, in retrospect the title could have been more clear. I've played Tongiaki and Metro and didn't love either. End of the Triumverate looks sort of cool.

cferejohn wrote:
You don't mention role selection (which I suppose is similar to worker placement). Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy are the most obvious candidates. You also don't mention any wargames.

RtfG is already on my want list, and I've played many games of PR. As for wargames, maybe I should reconsider. Heavy wargames cause me to flee in terror, but maybe lighter ones would be playable.

maka wrote:
How about some thematic games? Or some cooperative games?

Theme is of little importance to me if I don't love the gameplay, and I just can't get into co-op games. LotR is a great example of luscious theme and co-op gaming, but having not really enjoyed either time I played, I'm trading away my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.