Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rules forum posts and there seems to be confusing and contradictory "answers" as to whether, once you've finished a quest, Merlin automatically returns to Camelot with you or remains at the quest site, or if you can choose either of those options...

Also, there seems to be a definitive answer that when you choose to travel either to or from Camelot, you must draw a Travel card, but you do not draw a Travel card when returning from a quest. However, what about when playing the Convocation card? When played, all Knights may return to Camelot and receive cards... Does that imply that all Knights who choose to return to Camelot must first draw a Travel card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merlin stays on the quest even if it was completed... if it's a quest that resets, then he is ready there for the knights to return... if it is a quest that simply ends... merlin has special rules for what happens while he is on a completed quest.
As a side note, Merlin can only move if told to do so by a travel card, or by playing the special white card which specifically says move merlin.

Convocation is similar to returning to Camelot after a completed quest... knights that choose to return DO NOT need to draw travel cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Merlin stays on the quest even if it was completed... if it's a quest that resets, then he is ready there for the knights to return... if it is a quest that simply ends... merlin has special rules for what happens while he is on a completed quest.

"Special rules"? What would those be? I didn't see anything about that in the rulebook or the forums. Per your statement below, he should presumably stay at the completed quest no matter what (preventing a siege engine from coming out, if at Excalibur, for example), as no travel card is drawn when a knight(s) returns to Camelot after a completed quest. Or is that what you mean, where it says in the rules: "In addition, whenever Merlin travels to a Quest that is no longer in play (Quests for Excalibur, the Holy Grail, and Lancelot & the Dragon), the drawing of a corresponding Black card does not trigger the addition of a Siege Engine around Camelot; instead, the Black card drawn is discarded, with no further effect."

I think the phrase "whenever Merlin travels to a Quest that is no longer in play" is confusing (especially because of the words "whenever" and "travels to"), because Merlin would never travel to a Quest that's no longer in play from a travel card, only from the Merlin to the Rescue card, which would probably be a pretty rare occurrence (there's only 1 in the whole white deck). To be clearer, it probably should have said something more like: "If Merlin travels to or remains at a Quest that is no longer in play..." The "remains at" would be the much more likely scenario.

Quote:

As a side note, Merlin can only move if told to do so by a travel card, or by playing the special white card which specifically says move merlin.

That seems straightforward enough, but unfortunately the rules themselves were a little vague about that...

Quote:
Convocation is similar to returning to Camelot after a completed quest... knights that choose to return DO NOT need to draw travel cards.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook inadequacies aside, I think you've answered your own questions, but for clarification:

) The 'special rules' I mentioned are simply where it refers to what Merlin does when he's "present" on a previously completed quest (i.e. stops siege engines)

) Merlin stays on a completed quest until someone draws a "merlin travels" card, OR plays 'merlin to the rescue'.

) Merlin CAN travel to a previously completed quest by playing 'merlin to the rescue' and sending him to a quest of your choice... this is possibly rare, but has definitely happened in our games.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Merlin CAN travel to a previously completed quest by playing 'merlin to the rescue' and sending him to a quest of your choice... this is possibly rare, but has definitely happened in our games.

Well yeah, it's happened both times I've played, too. I didn't mean "rare" in general, but per game it's not likely to happen more than once, maybe twice... and thus the "whenever Merlin travels to" seems like poor wording, at least without adding "or remains at".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can merlin travel to the round table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
Can merlin travel to the round table?

Yes, definitely. Whenever the knights choose to travel to Camelot, they have to draw a Merlin card, so the "Merlin travels" card could be drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
If Merlin is present when a knight gets Lancelot's Armor, does he stay for the dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
I'd say yes!
I quite agree; Merlin stays put for the Dragon based on the MC rules. Since Merlin only moves when told to do so, so where else could he be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.