Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had a thing I'd like to do and I'm kind of curious as to the interest in it being done. But first I'll ask the question that goes along with my information gathering.

Do you think that a horror type radio program would be something that you'd listen to in a one off situation?

I'd like to produce an old time radio program like the Shadow or I like Danger. Only I'd like to do a Zombie Horror show instead. Sort of a Night of the Living Dead only with just the voices and sound effects. I've been working on writing a storyline up and have talked to a few people to see if they'd be interested in doing voice talent. I'd need sound effects (foley's I think?) and as well I'd need a place to do it. I'm thinking that perhaps the local university radio might be a good place to give it a run. So please give me your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

I've had a thing I'd like to do and I'm kind of curious as to the interest in it being done. But first I'll ask the question that goes along with my information gathering.

Do you think that a horror type radio program would be something that you'd listen to in a one off situation?

Sure. Of course it depends if the story is any good. After all both EscapePod and PseudoPod have over 100 episodes to download. OK these are readings of short stories and not dramatisations but it does show there is a market for fiction.

I'm not too sure that zombies (at least in the form depicted by modern popular cinema - they didn't always eat brains) would work, the stories seem too visual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I think zombies could work great for a radio show! Radio is the theater of the mind, and most of the drama in a zombie story comes from the interactions between the humans, anyway.

I think an easy way to do this and get people to listen would be to script 10- to 15-minute chunks, like the old Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar program, and release them as a podcast, with a new episode every day for a week.

With the net, your options for executing this kind of project are more varied than the traditional setup. You could have voice talent scattered across the map get on Skype to do their line readings together, with each member recording a WAV file of their own dialog individually (since Skype quality may not be good enough), which you could then collate into a single audio file, along with your music cues and sound effects.

Heck, as I think about it, you could even use the Skype audio, and work the sound quality into the narrative, with a story about folks who are trapped in their homes, talking over the internet while there's still power and net access.

Radio is a terrific medium that's underutilized these days. The sky is truly the limit, here, yo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for you to make that radio show. Idea sounds good and I think it will work well in audio format. I'm a great fan of radio shows especially old ones , both horror and comedy (Black Chapell, Creacking Door, the Saint, Men from the Ministry, Dads Army...) so it would be nice to listen something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be a fantastic project.

I love listening to .mp3s of old shows like "Fear on Four" and "Beyond Midnight," and I think the zombie spin would bring something fresh to the table.

Good luck, and keep us up to date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.