Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: between powder and steel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Baillargeon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, im looking for board-wargames that would fit between the late 15th century to the begining of the 17th century,
maybe around 1450 to 1650.

im looking mostly to get a fight with longbowmen(or crossbow) vs. the arquebusier.

when i play the hundred year wars its mostly bombard and arrows. when i play english civil war or the thirty years war its only musket and pikes.

there was certainly a period of time when the old bolt and arrow mixed on the field with artillery and handguns.

finding that period of time is difficult , finding a good wargame covering it even more...

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be set in Europe? How about RAN? It's set in Japan and has both bowmen and gunners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look into the Italian Wars. The games I have in this period are Crossbows and Cannon and Crossbows and Cannon II, but they're both out of print. They do come up on eBay with some regularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

No?

Ok, well how about a game based on the Battle of Bosworth. I'm not sure whether archers and gunpowder mixed in that battle but it seems to be about the right time frame. I've got no idea if there're any games based on this battle but I would've thought there must be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustav Adolf the Great: With God and Victorious Arms

Sweden Fights On

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Baillargeon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
thanks for some ideas, Ran and samurai from gmt games seems right on, i would prefer england france or north america but i guess i should give a try on the rising sun i might be surprised.

for warhammer fantasy, its fantasy, so no, but with that warhammer , i found warhammer historical english civil war, cant seems to find a good review about what is in it though, its a miniature tabletop wargame, so another world, prefer boradgame but just for the read of the manual might be good.

sweden fights on, gustav, etc, all the musket and pikes serie from gmt games dont have arrow or longswordman(or mace) its all gunpowder and cavalry.

for crossbow and cannon, its great too, hard to find, i found his little brother in a store royalists and roundheads, so i might give it a try, but are the rules good, graphic dont look wonderful, 3W did good simulation ?

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
renaissance of infantry - from SPI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Baillargeon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
i found Sun of York , maybe not a hex board , but a cards board, need a 3' by 4' table recomended, its a 2005 game but i wonder if the new p500 from gmt will be exactly the same as this one ?! there is arrow and some gunpowder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.