Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Does anyone have any visual aid documents to best describe wind direction vs. Yacht facing direction and movement allowance?

Trying to teach the game and struggling.

Thanks for any help, Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knox
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does your copy of the game not have the spinner included, since that has all that you asked for? If the spinner's lost, I can scrap something together for ya, but what do ya mean by "visual aid documents?" And I'd be afraid that I was infringing on copyrights somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,

I purchased a used game from a yard sale, to bad I didn't know what I was looking for in the way of all the parts. I see no Spinner but there is an island with a Octagon shape molded in it.

Please tell me you don't spin the spinner, I have not had a chance to read through all the rules yet as I just picked this up a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for any help.

Best regards, Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knox
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nope, you're all good, no spinning involved. (don't know how you would in an octagon anyways) You would then need to make a replacement octagon out of paper/something that matches the indentation. Trick is, the one that comes with the game has a handle in the middle that sticks up to make changing the octagon's orientation easy (may be what you're calling "spinning"). The octagon has printed on top:
0 LUFFING (at the top-center, or 0 degrees)
1 BEATING (at upper-left & upper-right, 45 degrees)
2 BEAM REACH (sides, 90 degrees)
3 BROAD REACH (bottom-left & bottom-right, 135 deg.)
2 RUNNING (bottom-center, 180 deg. from luffing)
And running is black, the rest are alternating blue/yellow, but it's just to make them distinct.
The number is how many spaces you COULD move if you choose to move in that direction (called that "point of sail") on this leg of your turn. The orientation of the "spinner" changes by +/- 45 degrees when you roll a shift (red/green "S"). On the shifts, red on a sailboat is the port side, so the spinner turns counter-clockwise. Green is obviously the opposite, called the starboard side. Those parts I bet are in the rules as well as everything else you'll need. Let me know of questions.
ENJOY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, but now I have another question.

The Bow of the boat gets turned in the direction it moves, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.