Hide
18 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: question on when you can convert animals to food during a harvest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Schwab
msg tools
suppose i have 3 pastures, A, B, and C. A and C contain 1 farm square (occupancy 2) and B contains 2 (occupancy 4). A has 2 sheep, B has 2 pigs, C has 2 cattle. i also have a fireplace.

during breeding, i breed a sheep, and put him in the house as my pet. then i breed a pig, and put him in pasture B (the big one). then i kill the sheep for food, breed a cow, and put the cow in my house. is that legit?

i would say it is because i'm not turning any animals into food "immediately," (see text of rule below) since the breeding of the pigs comes between the breeding of the sheep and converting the sheep to food.

what if i just had cattle and sheep and only pastures A and C (the small ones) and no pigs? then i would say i could not breed both animals because the sheep would have to be turned into food immediately since i don't have another breeding round.

here are the rules on breeding:

Quote:
Any player with at least 2 animals of the same type receives one additional animal of that type – but only if the lamb, the piglet or the calf can be accommodated in the farmyard (or on the “Animal Yard” (Tierhof), “Nature Reserve” (Tiergarten) or “Forest Pasture” (Waldweide) Improvement cards). Young animals and parent animals may not be changed into Food immediately after the birth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Webb
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No this is not legal. The "immediately" bit is intended to apply until the start of the next round. THink of it as being given 3 baby animals, one sheep, one pig and one cow. If you cannot house them, since you are not allowed to cook any of the 3 animals involved in breeding, you must let them run away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you cook the pig/sheep/cow before breeding. That way there is no questions. What you are proposing is splitting hairs and I do not think it to be legal.

I read the immediately as "during this harvest".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
I read the immediately as "during this harvest".

That's a great way to put it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no because "breeding round" is a concept you've invented. All breeding is part of a single phase of the harvest. You can't cook anything in the breeding phase, and you have to have housing for all animals at the end of the phase. No funny business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing our groups does is, the harvest actions are ALWAYS done in this order - harvest your feilds, feed your people, then breed the animals. We call this 'seed, feed, and breed'. It really helps make it clear to newbies what is and is not allowed. You can easily tell that you can eat the grain you just harvested, because it's there on your board for the 'feed' part of the harvest. But no babies have been born yet, so you know that if you eat your second sheep, there will be no babies in the 'breed' part.

Seed, feed, and breed - it really works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schwab
msg tools
Zebu_Alex wrote:
No this is not legal. The "immediately" bit is intended to apply until the start of the next round. THink of it as being given 3 baby animals, one sheep, one pig and one cow. If you cannot house them, since you are not allowed to cook any of the 3 animals involved in breeding, you must let them run away.

yeah, i would agree with this - the animals show up all at the same time. because the rules say

Quote:
Any player with at least 2 animals of the same type receives one additional animal of that type

it doesn't say

Quote:
take an animal, monkey around and do some stuff, take another animal, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
One thing our groups does is, the harvest actions are ALWAYS done in this order - harvest your feilds, feed your people, then breed the animals. We call this 'seed, feed, and breed'.
Isn't that what it explicitly says to do in the rules? I don't have them in front of me but I thought it was pretty clear that you had to completely feed your family before you got any baby animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
front of me but I thought it was pretty clear that you had to completely feed your family before you got any baby animals.
The question is not can you convert them to food to eat this round, it's can you convert them to food for the next round. If you can't convert them to food then you can't get them because you don't have room for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One thing our groups does is, the harvest actions are ALWAYS done in this order - harvest your fields, feed your people, then breed the animals. We call this 'seed, feed, and breed'.

It's also the order printed on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding animals and thier cookability during the harvest round, I like to explain it this way:

"For any animal type you breed, you must end the harvest with at least three of that type."

When I explain it in that manner, there are no questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your animals breed simultaneously. If there is no space for the baby, it runs away to be frolic freely amongst the daisies.

You cannot do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:
"For any animal type you breed, you must end the harvest with at least three of that type."

That's pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
answer me a question I can't itemize
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schwza wrote:
suppose i have 3 pastures, A, B, and C. A and C contain 1 farm square (occupancy 2) and B contains 2 (occupancy 4). A has 2 sheep, B has 2 pigs, C has 2 cattle. i also have a fireplace.

during breeding, i breed a sheep, and put him in the house as my pet. then i breed a pig, and put him in pasture B (the big one). then i kill the sheep for food, breed a cow, and put the cow in my house. is that legit?

i would say it is because i'm not turning any animals into food "immediately," (see text of rule below) since the breeding of the pigs comes between the breeding of the sheep and converting the sheep to food.

what if i just had cattle and sheep and only pastures A and C (the small ones) and no pigs? then i would say i could not breed both animals because the sheep would have to be turned into food immediately since i don't have another breeding round.

After reading a few replies I think I may understand your question now. From your quote of the rules you obviously understand needing room to breed. What you may not know is that you are free to move your animals to different pastures at any time. If you have boars in the big pasture and which it were cows you can make it so.

Maybe that wasn't your question but the other way it already got answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes more sense if you think of it in the same terms as the human 'breeding'. If there isn't room for a baby, the animals don't breed.

{This eliminates the disparity of someone being able to cook animals received from an action when they don't fit in the farm, and not being able to cook animals received from breeding when they don't fit in the farm: instead, let's just assume the breeding didn't happen}.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
If there is no space for the baby, it runs away to be frolic freely amongst the daisies.

You cannot do this.

Can you're spouse or offspring frolic freely amongst the daisies, if there's not room in the house when you take the increase family space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:

Can you're spouse or offspring frolic freely amongst the daisies, if there's not room in the house when you take the increase family space?

That will be in the new expansion, Agricola: Children of the Corn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
Denise wrote:
One thing our groups does is, the harvest actions are ALWAYS done in this order - harvest your feilds, feed your people, then breed the animals. We call this 'seed, feed, and breed'.
Isn't that what it explicitly says to do in the rules? I don't have them in front of me but I thought it was pretty clear that you had to completely feed your family before you got any baby animals.

Yes, but the mnemonic 'seed, feed, and breed' is the part our group came up with. Sorry my post was unclear, I was writing in a hurry! (and apparently forgot how to spell and use proper grammar to, sorry about that...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.