Subject: Bad Parenting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, thanks to today's poll, I read Kuhrusty's bad parenting thread. And I laugh uproariously. And it got me thinking about what was the stupidest parenting moment of my own. It may not involve inappropriate nudity, but the worst I could think of was...

One night my wife was out at dinner (working late, meeting friends, something like that). I lit a candle just because it was there on the table, and really how can I not set something on fire when I'm given the chance. When dinner was over, my daughters (age 5 and 3 at the time) wanted to blow out the candle. Sure, that's fun, right? So I tell them to do so, and they try. But...they were too scared of the flame to come within 5 feet of it, so they blow at it from across the table, and it just sort of swishes around!

Here a good parent would congratulate their children on their fire safety and put the candle out themselves. But no! I want to help my children achieve their goals, so I tell them that it's OK to come closer to the flame. And they are too scared. So what do I finally do to show them how safe flame is? Why, I put my hand right in the flame and hold it there for a few seconds. Then I pull my hand out, show it to my girls, and explain, "See? It didn't even hurt!"

Now, doing this in front of kids may be stupid enough, may be seen as encouraging unsafe practices. But it gets worse. Then my girls decide that they don't want to blow the candle out any more. They start daring each other to copy Daddy and put their hands in the flame. Do I come to my senses and make them stop? No, I sit and watch and chuckle. Soon they get up the nerve to do it, and the start holding their hands in the flame briefly, and still I just think it's kind of cute and I let them keep doing it. It becomes a fun and frolicsome night of seeing who can hold their hand in the flame the longest; just what every family with young children should do in the evening!

All this would have been the end of it, but the next night, when my wife was home, one of my daughters says she wants the candle lit "so she can put her hand in the fire." The other says, "Me first! Me first!" Watching the look on my wife's face, suddenly the "What the hell was I thinking last night?" realization sets in.

My wife finally got out of the three of us approximately what had gone on the night before. She was not happy. At all. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw in some beers and someone pooping and you have an episode of Jackass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was funny as hell. And I'll never light a candle around Karolyn now just in case.

I was playing toss the baby... she loves getting thrown up and caught... screams and laughs and then "THUNK!" the baby impacts on the ceiling... does a moment of hang time while hanging from the ceiling and then is barely caught by dad who is standing there with jaw on ground looking at the baby for possible huge gaping wounds on cranium. Baby cried, daddy apologized and got chewed out by mommy. Promised never to do it again... that lasted for about a week.

Now it's swinging her around in a circle by her hands. I've got a tight grip and she gets put down safely... I had no idea that she was dizzy as well... she staggers off and walks into the wall. Thonk... she falls over... a moment of silence... and then she laughs. funniest thing that ever happened to her I guess. She likes doing it all the time now... just sans the 'into the wall' bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.