Subject: Weekend Epiphany rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gibson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-under any circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
When four of our gaming group decided to end the day with a game of Thebes, Cindy, Bill and I decided to give Phoenicia a play. We had all played it before and though we were a little disappointed in how those games had played out, we were willing to give it another go.

And we're glad we did.

In those other games,(2,3 and 5 player games) there had been a runaway leader. By mid-game the winner was almost a given. Not so in this game.

It was if we just 'got it'. I jumped out to an early lead in production, but the two of them conspired to make me pay dearly for cards I needed to increase my storage.

Cindy stayed close by grabbing seemingly all available workers and employing them as hunters, farmers and miners.

Bill lagged behind for about half the game but came storming back with the help of his shipyard. His ships and ports near them end of the game had us all bunched in a desperate race to 32 victory points.

I managed to snatch victory away from Cindy 34 to 32 with Bill close behind at 26.

But it wouldn't have mattered if I had lost. What made this game was the flow and the feeling that we were finally playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

It seemed to me that we all just knew that anyone of us could win, even if we went about it in different ways. To me, that's always a sign of a good game.

Hopefully the next time we break out Phoenicia that feeling returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.