11 Posts

Clue» Forums » General

Subject: Question about the Clue Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Wall
Canada
flag msg tools
Okay, this is going to sound like a very odd question, but after playing Clue with some friends, they started disagreeing with me on a part of the board.

See I have an older version of the clue board, they have one of the more newer ones. (Actually the pictures I'm providing the second board is the exact same as theirs.)

Anyways, here are the pictures

(Board that's similar to mine)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/Guan_/ClueBoard1Edit.j...

(Their board)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/Guan_/ClueBoard2Edit.j...

Now I want to draw your attention to the two places on the boards that I've circled. This is where the disagreement comes into play. If you look on the newer board, you can see that one door looks open and the other looks closed, while on the older board there are two spots which simply say "door".

Now my friends say that on their door, the spot that the door is closed, you can't go through that way because the door is closed. In the same room (i.e. the hallway), there is another door which is closed (and the same door is open on the old one) and they also say you cannot go through it.

They looked through the rule book, but it said nothing about the doors other than "You can't enter through a doorway that is blocked by another player."

What I want to know is who is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always assumed shut doors were just the artist's choice. Since no mention is made in the rules about locked or unlocked doors, counter them by saying the doors aren't locked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The open/closed is immaterial. A doorway is a doorway.

BUT, it really doesn't matter as long as everybody agrees at the start of the game. If you're the odd man out, just play "wrong" for the sake of peace. It won't change the game much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wall
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh, I've tried. They come up with "You can't walk through a closed door."

I respond by closing a door, walking up to it, and opening it and say "Look I just walked through a closed door." And again they come up with something silly.

It's like they don't want to listen to reason. But if more people respond and I show them this, maybe they'll listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the artist's rendition. Those two doors in the Hall have been open since 1948 and an artist's inaccurate drawing of them cannot close them.

Having them closed would change the game considerably if you're playing the old 1-die rules. With the new 2-dice rules you're less likely to be left in the hallway in any case, so it might not matter as much. If these people don't know the doors of Clue, they're obviously not hardcore Clue players, so it should be easy to just move them on to more modern games and avoid the argument altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that you were winning, so they had to find a way to "shut" you down

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wall
Canada
flag msg tools
BoardsAndBits wrote:
My guess is that you were winning, so they had to find a way to "shut" you down ;)

Tom

I like the pun, and yeah I was basically winning. I was just about to accuse and win when they said I couldn't go through that door. Oddly enough, up to that point they had no problem with me going through other doors on the board that looked closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell them that you're the Overlord and that they are Rune-locked doors that they cannot open until they slay the Named master monster for that level. However, since YOU are the Overlord, you can open them for 2 movement points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The doors are clear on these maps:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should point them to the FAQ: http://www.cluedofan.com/faq.htm

which says, among other things:
"""
# Can I only enter through a doorway where the door is open / ajar?

This seems to be a confusion that the images in the later versions of the board has caused. You can go through any of the doorways (i.e. where there is no wall / window) whether the door is open or shut.
"""

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
Maybe you should point them to the FAQ: http://www.cluedofan.com/faq.htm

which says, among other things:
"""
# Can I only enter through a doorway where the door is open / ajar?

This seems to be a confusion that the images in the later versions of the board has caused. You can go through any of the doorways (i.e. where there is no wall / window) whether the door is open or shut.
"""

Damn artists...can't live with'em and can't kill'em!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.