Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tadd Colver
United States
Hyrum
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finished my "campaign" yesterday. First, I must mention that in each game I used the 10-3 variant, dealing 10 cards of each Occupation and Minor Improvement and discards 3 each, of course if I had a faceup occupation I dealt one less card still, etc. Regardless, in hindsight, maybe too powerful for a solo series. Here is a summary:

First game, scored 59, kept Mushroom Collector, milked wood for food and wood, built out to 5 rooms quickly and had 5 family members by round 7 or 8. Went pretty smooth from there.

Second game, scored 64, kept Carpenter. Again, built out fast to 5 rooms/family members and did most of the farming (plowing and sowing) and animal collection toward the end.

Third game, scored 72, kept Woodcutter, notice the wood strategy developing. Again, milked wood for all it's worth, I probably took wood half of the rounds, about every other round. Always build out to 5 rooms with wood, then upgraded.

Fourth game, scored 73, kept Chief. Quick building and wood strategy started to get boring at this point but what do you do?

Fifth game, scored 77, kept Lord of the Manor. Despite getting 8 "free" points from the Lord of the Manor (had 4 points in all categories on the score card and 4 stables!) wasn't my best game.

Sixth game, scored 90, kept Plow Maker. Basically the plow maker saves you 2-3 actions, food at this point is an afterthought to strategy.

Seventh game, scored 87, kept Seasonal Worker, I should note in these later games I tended to plow and sow rather quickly and utilize the extra harvests for food.

Eighth game, scored 96.

Other Occupations:
Conservator: 3 or 4 times, so I could play him and skip the clay renovation all together. Usually this allowed me to get a Hearth and/or Pottery.

Mason: 2 or 3 times, used in tandem with conservator gives a free room, very nice!

Major Improvements:
Basketmaker's Workshop: many games since you don't end up using 14 rounds worth of reed. 6 for 3 rooms, 2 for renovations, leaves 6 remaining: 2 for the card and 4 to gain the additional 2 victory points.

Hearth: almost every game, mid game sometime I'd usually grab whatever sheep was available and immediate cook as many as I needed to feed my people. If I could save two I would just to get the babies going.

Minor Improvements:
Quarry: Totally sick when you start with 3-4 occupations. I had this round 6 and round 8 and I milked the Day Laborer for all it's worth!

Drinking Trough: only 1 or 2 times but this was extremely helpful at getting the necessary room for the animals since I usually had 5 rooms, 5 fields and only 5 spaces for animals.

Any other that saves an action. Corn scoop, Mini Pasture, etc.

Thoughts: Great fun, became a little redundant mid series as you tend to utilize your occupations to drive your strategy, so taking wood for the 60th time kinda got old, but man did it pay! Would definitely be harder without the 10-3 variant, but I don't like just being dealt 7 cards that you have to play with. It's fun trying to develop a strategy by choosing certain cards then see how it plays out. Several times the cards I thought would be powerful became obsolete for one reason or another. I'd really rather keep the 10-3 variant and up the points required if necessary.

Some of the Minor Improvement cards that require 3 or 4 occupations become extremely valuable if you start with several occupations already down on the table, maybe too powerful! I think the idea is in a normal game you would only be able to use them 3 or 4 times at most, not every other round through a 14 round game.

Looking forward to playing another series with maybe a different deck, I or K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the wood is only netting you 2 food per action, right?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to do other actions, and wait till both food and wood accumulate?

I guess later on with the wood bonus cards it might pay off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report, Tadd. I scored an 89 at the end of my first solo series and I thought I was doing well, though I didn't use the 10-3 variant. As you said, the game can get a bit redundant by the end. In some ways, I was just waiting for the series to end so I could get a new one going with new occupations.

I have already begun a series using the I-deck - I think I'm halfway through. I'm surprised at how different the game is with this deck, and I'm sure it will be the same with the K-deck, neither of which I have used in a multiplayer game yet. I have noticed that my I-deck scores thus far have not been as high as with the E-deck, mainly because I have not gotten any occupation cards that give bonus points at the end of the game. It seems like there may be less of these in the I-deck than the E-deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadd Colver
United States
Hyrum
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Tim above, with the Mushroom Collector in play I would let 1 wood sit on the space the entire game, that way every time I took wood I got the extra 2 food. With the Woodcutter in play (from game #3 on), I'd also get an additional wood as well from the supply. So even with it only stocking 2 wood, I'd get the 2 + 1(woodcutter), plus 2 food(mushroom collector). So 3 wood and 2 food every time. You can see why I milked it. Early game that's how I'd get my food to feed my people. Additionally, it'd let the fishing space pile up so in round 7 I could get enough to feed them during that harvest phase as well.

To Christian I hear ya. I wanted it to be over too so I could start a new series. I could almost see the writing on the wall after the first few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.