Subject: Junta Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So I had one of those brain waves you sometimes get and made a card game version of a board game i have never played or even seen (but I have read the review of it on the geek here).

Amazingly it took only about 4 hours to write the rules and all the cards so I finished it in a couple of nights. Due to my complete lack of artisitic skills (and general laziness) we printed out the cards from notepad and glued them to some playing cards, using more playing cards as the money. The other components (6 hats for the members of the military junta) were rounded up and I lied to my friends and told them I had downloaded a cool game from the internet to persuade them to play.

It was a hit! Everybody loved it, and they badgered me to play it again. After a few playtests I have tightened up the end game by altering some cards, I haven't playtested the updated version yet but I expect to as soon as I can round up enough people:)

Now here are my questions:
1. I would like to share it with everyone, but it borrows heavily from some Junta mechanics (coups, new government picking ministers, minister powers, generalissimo distributing money) so I don't want to get into any trouble by posting it as a free game. Would that be ok?
2. All the cards are in a .txt (notepad) file. Very basic with no pictures or anything. Is this an acceptable format for downloading and printing? What would be the easiest format for people to download, print and make their own cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. I would like to share it with everyone, but it borrows heavily from some Junta mechanics (coups, new government picking ministers, minister powers, generalissimo distributing money) so I don't want to get into any trouble by posting it as a free game. Would that be ok?

Swärje is essentially "Junta - The Card Game", though to my knowledge it's only available in Swedish, so it seems to be OK to rip the mechanics off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
evil lincoln wrote:

Mechanics are not copyrighted, and if you're honest about your inspiration, I doubt that anyone will object. Game names are often registered trademarks, however, so calling your game 'junta: the cardgame' may not be a good idea.

evil lincoln wrote:
2. All the cards are in a .txt (notepad) file. Very basic with no pictures or anything. Is this an acceptable format for downloading and printing? What would be the easiest format for people to download, print and make their own cards?

PDF, but that is only advisable if you have fully designed cards. Otherwise you could just as well post the text and instructions on how to make the cards in a forum post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for that -

How to make the game:
There are 111 cards (ish! I keep getting a different number everytime I count them:what:), although the 6 office cards are just reminder cards and will not need the same back or anything. So what I did was just print off the cards, cut them out and stick them to the fronts of 2 decks of playing cards that had the same backs that I got from the supermarket for $2. You will also need 6 hats for the 6 offices, and another couple of decks of standard playing cards that you won't have to canabilise to use for money.

From the advice of Lajos it is now called El Presidente. Its good to be El Presidente:D

Sorry if it isn't playtested very well, but my playtesters tell me that they were having too much fun even when they were losing, so I didn't get any negative feedback. If anyone has any problems with the game, please point them out and I'd be happy to fix them.

This also lends itself to a drinking game format well, but I'll leave it up to you to work out how to do that:p

I'm going to post the rules and cards as forum posts now (as suggested by Lajos), the cards one is quite long, but I can't think of a better way of uploading the files when this is not an actual published game.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
El Presidente Rules

Designed by Mark Caldwell, inspired by JUNTA

NUMBER OF PLAYERS
Theoretically you could play this game with 4 players, but playing with at least 6 players is recomended.

COMPONENTS
Event Deck
Army Deck
Money Deck - (equal numbers of 1, 2, and 3 peso cards) - I did not include these in the file of cards for this game as you can just use standard playing cards. Use 1-3 as 1 peso, 4-6 as 2 pesos and 7-9 as 3 pesos. You may need to use multiple decks depending on the number of players, you don't want to runout of money so I suggest using 2 decks worth.
These three decks will all be placed face down in the centre of the table. To avoid confusion it is suggested that you place a label next to each deck or use cards with different backs for each deck.
Office Cards - (El Presidente, Generalissimo, Admiral, Security Minister, Foreign Minister, Finance Minister)
A hat that corrosponds to each office. These hats are to be worn by whoever holds that office. Make clear before the game starts which hat corrosponds to which office.

SET UP
Get all event cards and shuffle together and place face down in the centre of the table to form event deck. Deal 3 cards to each player. Get all money cards and shuffle together and place face down in the centre of the table to form money deck. Deal 3 cards to each player. Get all army cards and shuffle together and place face down in the centre of the table to form army deck. Deal 1 card to each player. Each player puts the army face up in front of them, the money and event cards are kept hidden from the other players. Starting with the youngest player each player bids to become El Presidente. The minimum bid the youngest player can make is 1 peso. Going around clockwise each player may bid a higher ammount or pass, once a player has passed they may not bid again. You may not bid more than the ammount of money you actually have. When all other players have passed, the highest bidder places money cards that add up to equal or higher than the ammount he bid in the money discard pile and places the El Presidente card face up in front of him. El Presidente than distributes the remaining office cards among the other players (all offices must be distributed) but may give no more than 2 offices to any one player. Note that El Presidente may never hold a second office at the same time as El Presidente.

PLEASE NOTE
If any of the decks run out, shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck. An optional rule is that any player may steal money cards from another player if they are not seen by the victim, use this rule at your own risk!

SEQUENCE OF PLAY
1. TAXATION: El Presidente draws 7 money cards and after looking at them shakes his head and says "Its been a bad year amigos"
2. BUDGET: El Presidente distributes the 7 money cards he just drew amongst all the players including himself. Money cards are to be given to players face down. These can be distributed however El Presidente wishes, which includes the option of El Presidente keeping all of the budget.
3. EMBEZELE: Each player collects a money card from each property that allows him to do so. The Foreign minister collects 1 money card because of foreign aid.
4. INQUISITION: The Security Minister may arrest any player who holds office for treason. This involves taking one of their offices and giving it to another player of the Security Minister's choice (he may not give another office to El Presidente or a player who already holds 2 offices, but he may give a second office to himself). El Presidente and the player who holds the office of Admiral can not be arrested for treason.
5. ACTION: Starting with El Presidente and going clockwise each player may either draw an event card or play as many event cards as he wishes from his hand. When playing event cards follow the instructions on those cards. When an event card has been played or a property is destroyed it goes to the discard pile. At the end of his turn a player must discard all event cards he holds in excess of 3. Event cards labelled as Property may be played at any time the player could play an event card, but instead of going to the discard pile remain in play in front of the player who played them and are owned by that player.
6. CIVIL WAR: Stating with El Presidente and proceeding clockwise, each player who does not hold any office may attack 1 property owned by any other player. To do this he indicates which property he is attacking and places 1 of his armies on the discard pile. The owner of the property must place 1 of his armies on the discard pile or pass up ownership of the property to the attacker by placing it in front of the attacking player.
7. REVOLUTION: Starting with El Presidente and going clockwise each player may declare a Coup d'Etat. To declare a Coup d'Etat a player must place 2 of the armies in front of him in the discard pile.
8. BRIBARY: If there is a coup each player starting with the player who declared the coup and proceeding clockwise may bribe any army by paying the bribe cost indicated on it. Any bribed armies do not take part in the civil war. To pay a bribe cost the bribing player must place money cards that add up to an equal or greater value than the bribe cost on the army into the discard pile. To bribe multiple armies, a player must complete this process for each army to be bribed (ie, you can not use 1 money card to bribe multiple armies).
9. COUP: If there is a coup each player who wishes to be a candidate for 'El Presidente' makes a speech and all the players argue before voting for El Presidente. Each player can vote once for each of his armies. The player who recieves the most votes becomes El Presidente and places the El Presidente card in front of him. If there is a tie for who recieves the most votes, players argue and vote again. The new El Presidente distributes the other office cards as he sees fit amongst the players (all offices must be distributed). No player may hold more than 2 offices and El Presidente may hold no other office.
10. RECRUITMENT: The Generalissimo draws 1 army card from the army deck and places it face up in front of himself. If there are 6 players the Finance Minister draws 3 army cards from the army deck and places them face up in the center of the table next to each other. If theer are 7 players the finance minister draws and places on the table 1 extra army, and for each 2 players above 7 he draws and places another extra army. For each of the armies starting with the leftmost one (from the finance minister's perspective) the finance minister starts the bidding, and bidding proceeds clockwise. The minimum bid is 3 pesos. Each player must bid higher than the highest bid before him or pass and once a player has passed he may not bid again. When all other players have passed the highest bidder gains control of the army and places it in front of himself, and places money cards that add up to equal or greater than the ammount he bid in the discard pile. The finance minister has the special privilege of being the only player who is allowed to bid an ammount higher than the total value of his money cards. The finance minister may bid up to 3 pesos more than he actually has. If the finance minister wins the bid he must first declare how many pesos he intends to pay through luck of the draw and then discard money cards that add up to equal or greater value than the remainder of his bid. He then turns over the top card of the money deck and places it in the discard pile. If the value of the card turned over is equal to or more than the ammount the finance minister chose to pay through luck of the draw, he gains control of the army and places it in front of himself, if not the army is placed in the discard pile. If nobody places a bid, put the army on the discard pile. Do this for each of the 3 armies. Whenever any army is destroyed it goes to the discard pile.

WINNING THE GAME
The first player to get 7 armies immediately wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
El Presidente

OFFICE

Draw 7 money cards
each turn and
distribute amongst
all players.
Immune to arrest.
"Like elected
Presidents except
with a better hat"

------------------

Generalissimo

OFFICE

Get 1 free army
each turn
"The General
liked to start the
day with
promotions all
round"

------------------

Admiral

OFFICE

Immune to arrest.
"The Admiral of a
landlocked nation
is mainly just
laughed at. But
you get a snazzy
uniform"

-----------------

Foreign Minister

OFFICE

Draw 1 money card
each turn
"He's ok. He played
cricket for
Cambridge"

--------------------

Security Minister

OFFICE

May arrest an office
holder for treason.
Take an office off
that player and give
to another player.
"Able to root out
treason anywhere.
Especially in those
damn treasonous
trees"

-------------------

Finance Minister

OFFICE

Starts the bidding
for armiies. Can
bid up to 3 pesos
more than he has
through luck of the
draw
"I'll be off to
Switzerland to do
some 'banking'"

-------------------

Police

ARMY

Bribe Cost: 2 pesos
If you have 2 or
more police draw 1
money card each
EMBEZZLE phase

------------------

Police

ARMY

If you have 2 or
more police draw 1
money card each
EMBEZZLE phase

------------------

Police

ARMY

If you have 2 or
more police draw 1
money card each
EMBEZZLE phase

------------------

Police

ARMY

If you have 2 or
more police draw 1
money card each
EMBEZZLE phase

------------------

Police

ARMY

If you have 2 or
more police draw 1
money card each
EMBEZZLE phase

------------------

Brigade

ARMY

Bribe Cost: 3 pesos

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Brigade

ARMY

-------------------

Contras

ARMY

Bribe Cost: 1 peso
+1 Bribe Cost if
you do not hold
any office

--------------------

Contras

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you do not hold
any office

--------------------

Contras

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you do not hold
any office

--------------------

Contras

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you do not hold
any office

--------------------

Contras

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you do not hold
any office

--------------------

Soviet Advisors

ARMY

--------------------

Soviet Advisors

ARMY

--------------------

Soviet Advisors

ARMY

--------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

Bribe Cost:1 peso

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Mercenaries

ARMY

---------------------

Presidential Guard

ARMY

Bribe Cost:3 pesos
+1 Bribe Cost if
you are El
Presidente

---------------------

Presidential Guard

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are El
Presidente

---------------------

Presidential Guard

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are El
Presidente

---------------------

National Security
Volunteers (NSV)

ARMY

Bribe Cost:2 pesos
+1 Bribe Cost if
you are Security
Minister

---------------------

National Security
Volunteers (NSV)

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are Security
Minister

---------------------

National Security
Volunteers (NSV)

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are Security
Minister

---------------------

National Security
Volunteers (NSV)

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are Security
Minister

---------------------

National Security
Volunteers (NSV)

ARMY

+1 Bribe Cost if
you are Security
Minister

---------------------

UN Intervention

EVENT

You may stage a Coup
D'Etat this turn for
free
"Hey I didn't kill
all those people!
It must have been
giant hamsters!"

---------------------

Radio Station

EVENT - PROPERTY

Counts as an army in
the COUP phase
"What use is victory
if you don't tell
anyone?"

---------------------

House Arrest

EVENT

Target player does
not get to vote in
the COUP phase this
turn
"No civil war for
you amigo"

--------------------

Cigaro

EVENT

Target player must
vote for you in
COUP phase this turn

--------------------

Monarchy Support

EVENT

Get one extra vote in
the COUP phase this
turn

----------------------

Siesta

EVENT

Target army does not
count in the COUP
phase this turn
"There may well be a
Coup taking place but
it is 3 o'clock in
the afternoon"

----------------------

UN Peacekeepers

EVENT

There may not be a
COUP this turn
"Can't we just have
a little Coup? We
will only shoot the
senior ministers"

--------------------

Ambush

EVENT

Destroy target army
by placing it on
discard pile
"Suprise Comprades"

--------------------

Territorial War

EVENT

General must place
2 of his armies on
the discard pile
"And never forget
that they stole
grandma's goat"

---------------------

Cabinet Reshuffle

EVENT

Reallocate all
offices except El
Presidente.

----------------------

Purge

EVENT

Take all the offices
off 1 player (not El
Presidente) and
reallocate them. No
player can hold more
than 2 offices and El
Presidente may hold
no other office
"Dispose of the
intellectuals!"

----------------------

Resign

EVENT

Give all of your
offices to other
players. No player
can hold more than
2 offices and El
Presidente may hold
no other office
"In the national
interest I am
retiring to
Barbados"

--------------------

Petition

EVENT

No effect

-------------------

Swiss Bank Account

EVENT - PROPERTY

You never have to
discard a money card
because of an event
card. Draw 1 money
card each turn as
interest

-------------------

Assasain

EVENT

Target player
discards all their
money cards
"The Assasain
failed thanks to
a fortuitously
placed cigar case"

-------------------

Bomb

EVENT

Target player
discards 3 money
cards at random
"It was the best
bomb they could
afford. At least,
the box said bomb"

-------------------

Hyperinflation

EVENT

All players discard
1 money card

-------------------

Manager of
Central Bank

EVENT

Draw 3 money cards
"Through wise
investment decisions
I have made a large
profit this year.
Sorry, I mean WE"

-------------------

Black Market

EVENT

Draw 1 money card
"Selling goods on
the Black Market is
a good way to make
money. Especially
if the goods aren't
yours"

---------------------

Drug deal

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
The owner of the Drug
Plantation draws 1
money card.

----------------------

Foreign Investment

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
The owner of the Gold
Mine draws 1 money
card.

----------------------

OPEC Raise Oil Price

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
Owner of the Oil Well
draws 1 money card.

---------------------

Famine

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
Foreign Minister
draws 1 money card
"I will make sure
this money gets to
those in most need"

----------------------

Foreign Hostages

EVENT

If you do not hold
office draw 1 money
card
"Once you mail a few
fingers they start
paying up their
ransoms rather
promptly"

---------------------

Bribery

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
Finance Minister
draws 1 money card.

---------------------

Encouragement

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
The owner of the
Banana Plantation
draws 1 money card.
"To boost
productivity our
employee of the
month doesn't get
whipped!"

----------------------

Junket

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
The Admiral draws 1
money card.
"We are embarking
on a diplomatic
cruise to Tahiti"

---------------------

Customs Patrols

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
Security Minister
draws 1 money card.
"I might have to
confiscate this
watch, but it all
depends..."

---------------------

Michael Jackson
Video Clip

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
Generalissimo draws
1 money card.
"March in time with
the music you
lunkheads!"

---------------------

Playing Both Sides

EVENT

Draw 1 money card.
El Presidente draws
1 money card.
"Well I might agree
with condemnation of
Cuba. If the
circumstances were
favourable that
is..."

---------------------

Veto

EVENT

You allocate the
budget in next turn's
BUDGET phase instead
of El Presidente

----------------------

Blackmail

EVENT

In the next BUDGET
phase El Presidente
must allocate you
at least 1 money
card

------------------------

Presidential Palace

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase
if you are El
Presidente

------------------------

Drug Plantation

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase

------------------------

Gold Mine

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase

------------------------

Oil Well

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase

-----------------------

Oil Pipeline

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase
"A pipeline needs a
well-paid security
force to protect it
from ...uh...
terrorists"

-----------------------

Diamond Mine

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase

-----------------------

Banana Plantation

EVENT - PROPERTY

Draw 1 money card in
each EMBEZZLE phase

---------------------

UN Intervention

EVENT

You may stage a Coup
D'Etat this turn for
free
"Hey I didn't kill
all those people!
It must have been
giant hamsters"

---------------------

UN Intervention

EVENT

You may stage a Coup
D'Etat this turn for
free
"Hey I didn't kill
all those people!
It must have been
giant hamsters"

---------------------

Ambush

EVENT

Destroy target army
by placing it on
discard pile
"Suprise Comprades"

--------------------

Ambush

EVENT

Destroy target army
by placing it on
discard pile
"Suprise Comprades"

--------------------

Monarchy Support

EVENT

Get one extra vote in
the COUP phase this
turn

----------------------

Monarchy Support

EVENT

Get one extra vote in
the COUP phase this
turn

----------------------

Monarchy Support

EVENT

Get one extra vote in
the COUP phase this
turn

----------------------

Monarchy Support

EVENT

Get one extra vote in
the COUP phase this
turn

----------------------

Tea Party

EVENT

Each player except El
Presidente gives all
his offices to the
player on his left. If
that player is El
Presidente give the
offices to the player
on his left instead

-----------------------

Arson

EVENT

Put target property in
discard pile

-----------------------

Annex

EVENT

Take target property
from another player
"Yoink"

----------------------

Annex

EVENT

Take target property
from another player
"Yoink"

----------------------

Annex

EVENT

Take target property
from another player
"Yoink"

----------------------

Wealth Redistribution

EVENT

Give target player one
of your properties and
take one of theirs
"Its a equitable
distribution of wealth,
just more equitable
for me"

-----------------------

Its Been A Very Bad
Year

EVENT

Instead of Drawing 7
cards in the TAXATION
phase, El Presidente
only draws 3

----------------------

Tax Return

EVENT

In the next BUDGET
phase El Presidente
must give each other
player 1 money card
before any player
gets a second money
card

----------------------

Economic Sanctions

EVENT

Target player may not
bid for armies in the
RECRUITMENT phase this
turn

----------------------

Trinkets

EVENT

Draw the top card of
the army deck and place
it in front of you
"I offer you honour and
nobility of purpose if
you join our cause.
Plus shiny beads!"

-----------------------

Unemployment Line

EVENT

In the next RECRUITMENT
phase the Finance
Minister turns over an
extra 2 army cards that
players can bid for

------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evil lincoln wrote:

I'm going to post the rules and cards as forum posts now (as suggested by Lajos), the cards one is quite long, but I can't think of a better way of uploading the files when this is not an actual published game.

Enjoy!

A game need not be "Published" to be here on the geek. This is considered a "Web Published" game. You should submit a game entry for your efforts. I am making the cards and going to print them out and play as soon as I get a chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ok will do:P I will submit it as El Presidente

Glad to hear you are giving it a go. Let me know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea--I've played the Junta board game once, and thought that the basic idea could be simplified and the game made a little shorter.
Making it into a card game is a great way to do this. If it really works well, I'd even pitch it to whomever has the rights to the game (Pegasus Spiele recently re-released it in Germany, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a bit before I get them printed as I am making artwork for the cards myself lol. I need some Eyecandy when I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Wow, thats cool, I'd love to see it if you make scans or something, then I'll use it too:P I like candy

Edit: link to this game's page
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/38767

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Moeller
Denmark
Viby J, Aarhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a PDF with a simple version of all the cards for the game, including card backs and instructions for printing.
(The number in a small circle on each army card is the bribe cost for that army.)

I added flavor text on some cards and corrected some spelling errors.

Also i took the liberty to "upgrade" the economic scale to millions of pesos (who want a bribe of one or two measly pesos...)

The file has been uploaded and is awaiting accept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ah thats very cool, I am suitably impressed. I'll use these when have to print out another set, thank you.

Giant hamsters :D

But I would still reccommend using hats! Half the fun :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.