Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Did we play the castle building correct? Pros & cons of this strategy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played Caylus as a 2-player game over the weekend - both of us had played twice before.

As the game progressed, it became clear we both had different strategies; I was gathering resources mainly for the early production of buildings & in the hope of generating 1 VP when my opponent used my building(s). He was primarily building the castle, which seemed fine to me.

Now this is what I began to notice; he would pay 1 coin to place a worker in the castle, usually he might be able to build 2 or even 3 parts of the current sector we were working on. But rather than build these 2 or 3 parts, he was mainly building them one at a time.

After a while, I quizzed him why he was doing that rather than building them all & in the process, saving a coin & action (or twice). His rationale was that by getting in the castle first (especially on those turns when I did build there as well) he was able to get the royal favour most of the time. And most of the time, what he chose was the VP track (in case you're wondering, we did adhere to the limitations on how far you could go on each favour depending on which section of the castle was being built).

Sounded ok to me, but I just wondered for a moment if we had missed a rule or it's a perfectly viable strategy - this almost felt like the game could be broken in this manner & that I was doing all the building work.

So, did we play it correct or was my opponent being a slightly bad sport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played that much... but most times we have a single player in the castle, he or she will only build one hut, and get the favor, saving resources for a second favor next turn.

Sounds totally normal in my experience.

Also, is you managed to get all the stone production building under you control (assuming he did not get the building favor track), you should have a large margin on him. (at least this is what every caylus experienced players describes as a bad position to be - single player controling all of the stone (grey 3 resource) production building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he did is perfectly allowable and is a good strategy especially if you are not challenged in the castle. So, who won the battle of castle building vs town building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't remember quite what the margin was, but he won with something like 112 - 96. Not that I mind, just thought it a bit odd to be paying a coin & action each time just to build one part whereas it could potentially be used more benefitally elsewhere...

I imagine it would be harder to pull that strategy off with more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren P
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
The general idea of his strategy, getting royal favors by building in the castle, is a sound strategy - and in fact, I'd say it's pretty much the hallmark of most successful Caylus strategies.
However, his specific idea of being the first one in there isn't necessarily the best idea all the time. As you play more Caylus, you'll begin to see that there are times when the first one in has a definite advantage and times when the last one in has a definite advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This also is a strategy that is more effective with 2 players than with more. In a 5 player game, getting buildings down is more important because you will be getting a point for each building roughly 4/5 of the rounds whereas with 2 players the expectation is a point every 1/2 of the rounds. And going to the castle is less important in a 5 player game because with more players competing for a single favor, you will likely be less able to win the favor each round.

He is not being a poor sport. He is playing to win and it seems he succeeded in doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
And most of the time, what he chose was the VP track (in case you're wondering, we did adhere to the limitations on how far you could go on each favour depending on which section of the castle was being built).

Another easily overlooked rule is that during a single phase, you can't use the same favor track twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this all the time -- especially two-player, building for favours is majorly helpful. I tend to use them on a variety of tracks, especially the "build a building without an X" track. Then money, then VPs actually. If you spend 3 goods, get 5 VP, and 4-6 coins out of it, that's pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments - sounds like I was just taught a lesson ! Will have to remember that strategy now it's been laid bare to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.