Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. There is no military deck in Age A and Age A lasts until the start of the first player's second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.
I can see why some may believe you don't until the start player's second turn but then no one would have any cards to play in the first age I political phase.
As such, we play that you do indeed draw cards. This gives everyone military cards in hand at the start of age I.
In reality it probably makes little difference in a game that is going to last 4 or 5 or more hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:
No. There is no military deck in Age A and Age A lasts until the start of the first player's second turn.

Means that, that the player who draws military cards first the player after the first player on his second turn is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

James_Sanheim wrote:
As such, we play that you do indeed draw cards. This gives everyone military cards in hand at the start of age I.

We too.

James_Sanheim wrote:
In reality it probably makes little difference in a game that is going to last 4 or 5 or more hours.

Maybe, but it makes fun anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:

Means that, that the player who draws military cards first the player after the first player on his second turn is?

No. The first player to draw military cards is the start player on his second turn. This assumes he has unused military actions on that turn that can be used for card draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you draw military cards during the first round. Like you said, it's part of the 'Production and Maintenance' phase which you do during your first (abbreviated) turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
AbeLincoln wrote:
Yes, you draw military cards during the first round. Like you said, it's part of the 'Production and Maintenance' phase which you do during your first (abbreviated) turn.

There is no Age A military deck. You can't draw from the Age I deck until it is in play.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:

No. The first player to draw military cards is the start player on his second turn. This assumes he has unused military actions on that turn that can be used for card draws.

how can this be? At this moment it's Age A and no Age I military deck is in play. Age I begins with the second turn of the player after the first player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

dkeisen wrote:

how can this be? At this moment it's Age A and no Age I military deck is in play. Age I begins with the second turn of the player after the first player.

Age changes happen during "The Card Row." On player 1's second turn, immediately after revealing the new Age A cards, Age A ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James_Sanheim wrote:
I can see why some may believe you don't until the start player's second turn but then no one would have any cards to play in the first age I political phase.

Right!

Quote:
As such, we play that you do indeed draw cards.

Since you're drawing during Age A, and there aren't any Age A military cards available, what do you draw? Do you let people draw from any other age they want? I like the idea of drawing some Age III military cards on my first turn, but it doesn't seem very well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ware
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means that they put the Age A Military cards (the ones left over from
seeding Current Events) into the space for the Military Deck. The rules explicitly
say not to do this, don't they? (And I suppose if I had remembered that this
morning, I wouldn't have started this thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
No; we play by the rules as written in the rule book. (Of course, if you buy the game, you can play any way you want.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most importantly, the rules say you get a 1, 2, 3, or 4 civil actions for taking cards. You get no military action, which means you have no unused military actions at the end of the first turn. Even if there were a giant stack of juicy age A military cards, you have no unused military actions to take any of them with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly -- that's the crux of the matter. You get to draw one military card for each unused military action. You don't get military actions on turn 1 (only civil, based on your position).

Hence no military card draw. I think this is good -- it gives people a turn to get revved up before worrying about getting smacked.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:
Most importantly, the rules say you get a 1, 2, 3, or 4 civil actions for taking cards.

I don't see why this is more important than there not being any cards to draw from. It seems only equally important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Zeromus wrote:
Most importantly, the rules say you get a 1, 2, 3, or 4 civil actions for taking cards.

I don't see why this is more important than there not being any cards to draw from. It seems only equally important.

Since you're arguing semantics, it's only fair to point out that there are Age A military cards. They are the ones with the dark colored back and a big "A" on them. So it really is more important that you don't get any military actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Since you're arguing semantics, it's only fair to point out that there are Age A military cards. They are the ones with the dark colored back and a big "A" on them.

These cards are all removed from play after setup. It's explicitly stated in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
out4blood wrote:
Since you're arguing semantics, it's only fair to point out that there are Age A military cards. They are the ones with the dark colored back and a big "A" on them.

These cards are all removed from play after setup. It's explicitly stated in the rules.

So you admit Age A military cards exist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchdown, out4blood. Seems DaviddesJ has been caught in a semantics faux pass, which is quite unusual. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
So you admit Age A military cards exist!

Sure. I never said otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.