BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Poll: Favorite Deadly Sin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Poll: Deadly Sin
What is your favorite deadly sin to indulge in? (Alternately: Which of the traditional seven deadly sins do you have the hardest time resisting?)
Pride
Envy
Gluttony
Sloth
Lust
Avarice
Wrath
      70 answers
Poll created by dysjunct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be very disappointed if this one is even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Exactly, I mean, who WON'T pick avarice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Then I hoped you picked Pride, since you're assuming that everyone else's struggles/indulgences are the same as yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've said this somewhere else, but mine is a three-way tie between gluttony, lust, and sloth. If I can eat a big meal, get laid, and then sleep late the next morning, it's a good day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Then I hoped you picked Pride, since you're assuming that everyone else's struggles/indulgences are the same as yours.

Ah, but the poll doesn't ask which vice are we most susceptible to but rather which is our favorite to indulge in. I'm fairly confident that even the most prideful person has more fun indulging in lust...with sloth coming in second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat R
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pride is mine. I suppose lust would be it, if I wasn't butt ugly and poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I've said this somewhere else, but mine is a three-way tie between gluttony, lust, and sloth. If I can eat a big meal, get laid, and then sleep late the next morning, it's a good day.

Sounds like too much effort to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because all of the rest of them are ultimately derived from pride, if you choose pride, you get to indulge in the rest of them as a side effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Yes, but Avarice gives you the MEANS to be able to better effectively indulge...... devil

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm glad stupidity isn't a sin, because I had to look Avarice up. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Yes, but Avarice gives you the MEANS to be able to better effectively indulge...... devil

Darilian

I HAD to pick pride because I'm so often toldI'm an arrogant SOB.

The problem is I also get people seriously telling me the opposite. I'm so confused....cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
The Unbeliever wrote:
Because all of the rest of them are ultimately derived from pride, if you choose pride, you get to indulge in the rest of them as a side effect.

Alternately, if you choose sloth, you'll be too lazy to care about stopping your moral decline in all the others. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Ah, but the poll doesn't ask which vice are we most susceptible to but rather which is our favorite to indulge in. I'm fairly confident that even the most prideful person has more fun indulging in lust...with sloth coming in second.

I answered based on what I have the hardest time resisting. To me, that seems more in line with the idea of it being a "sin". Something not neccessarily enjoyed, more that it's a part of your nature which must be denied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

I HAD to pick pride because I'm so often toldI'm an arrogant SOB.

The problem is I also get people seriously telling me the opposite. I'm so confused....cry

That's what I keep telling people. "You have no idea how humble I am, because you don't know how much smarter I am than I let on."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly - here on BGG, where people boast collections totaling 200, 300, 500 or even 1000 games...I'd think "gluttony" would be the #1 sin...

I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that you guys have *bigger* sins than that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhmmmm, everybody knows it isn't just a sin when you think about one of the associated activities. You have to either perform them to excess or let it control some aspect of your life. In other words Pride isn't just thinking you are smarter than the average person, it is letting those around you know it by all of your actions. Lust isn't desiring that pretty woman, it is creating a fan club, stalking her, or groping her as she passes in the street. Unless you are a member of a religion that thinks having human emotions counts as being sinful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Tough choice. Since I'm not committed to 30 minutes of cuddling after eating an ice-cream sundae, Gluttony it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat R
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
Uhmmmm, everybody knows it isn't just a sin when you think about one of the associated activities. You have to either perform them to excess or let it control some aspect of your life. In other words Pride isn't just thinking you are smarter than the average person, it is letting those around you know it by all of your actions. Lust isn't desiring that pretty woman, it is creating a fan club, stalking her, or groping her as she passes in the street. Unless you are a member of a religion that thinks having human emotions counts as being sinful.

Yeah, pride is the one I actually indulge. Not with purpose and forethought, but it happens. I know I should not consider myself better than thos earound me, no matter how much evidence I am presented with. Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite to indulge in? Pride.

Favorite in general/overall? Wrath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 8:54 a.m., and I have already indulged in Sloth, Lust, and Pride. Gluttony is a couples of hours ahead (more time for sloth).

I love the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick something else then sloth... but I just can't be bothered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.