Subject: Great Battles of Alexander or SPQR...which should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both games seem very similar...one involves Greek warfare...the other Roman warfare...right?

I don't really know that much about the history of those times so I'm not really sure which game I would prefer...Any advice for this swords and sandles novice?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Deluxe Al...it's a little simpler and is the first game in the series. Pick up the Tyrant: Battles of Carthage versus Syracuse module if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing contents of SPQR Deluxe I also have feeling that SPQR has bigger (and more) scenarios than Alexander. For me, it`s question of preference. You either like Ancient Greece more or Ancient Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dweeb wrote:
I'd go with Deluxe Al...it's a little simpler and is the first game in the series. Pick up the Tyrant: Battles of Carthage versus Syracuse module if you can.

Ditto. I found Alex a little easier to play, but that may not be a universal feeling amongst the BBGeeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want swooping cavalry charges, go with Alexander! You can ride with the great one and his companion cavalry to victory after victory. cool

However, if you want smash mouth, my infantry can kick your infantry's butt before your cavalry gets around the flanks warfare, devil angry then grab a centurion and the SPQR banner and march! thumbsup

SPQR, IMO, also gives you some battle that show the contrast between a strong cavalry army vs. a strong infantry army (Cannae comes to mind as the most blatant example.)

So bottom line: which type of warfare are you most interested in gaming: infantry hold and engage and cavalry wins the battle on the flanks (Alexander) or cavalry hold the flanks while infantry bursts through to win the battle (SPQR).
Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
SPQR, IMO, also gives you some battle that show the contrast between a strong cavalry army vs. a strong infantry army (Cannae comes to mind as the most blatant example.)

Whereas Alexander shows you the contrast between strong cavalry, strong infantry AND superior leadership vs. weak infantry, weak cavalry, and bad leadership.

In other worlds, Alexander is about how the (in this respect) unreasonably superior military of a small European nation allowed it to conquer the greatest empire of the world, which wasn't set up to handle the combination of phalanx and heavy cavalry in formation.

SPQR gives you more interesting battles: Two military systems with completely different strengths and emphasis square off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wookie1 wrote:
Both games seem very similar...one involves Greek warfare...the other Roman warfare...right?

To be fair, Alexander involves Hellenistic warfare - a much more complex evolution stressing combined arms, as opposed to the traditional Greek hoplite phalanx armies. I haven't tried the game, however, so I don't know about the feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them both!

Have both of them and like to play each one,where you will see the difference between Macedonian and Roman military doctrine.Depends on what your preference is.

If you do get both then try to get a copy of the C3I issue that has hypothetical battle of Alexander vs Rome--assumes he lives long enough to try and conquer Italian peninsula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob schuette
United States
Papillion
Nebraska
flag msg tools
And ameritrash gamer
badge
And euro gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends a lot on whether you will be playing solitare or against an opponent. If your looking for a game to play against a live(or vassal) opponent go with SPQR since many of the battles are more even matches. The majority of Alexander battles are not that close...unless you like getting crushed by Alex and his boys (or utilizing the rout point method heavily). I do feel Alexander is a little easier to learn and would definitely agree with the recommendation to get the Tyrant expansion if you go that route.

Overall I think both are excellent games and you would enjoy either one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:

I agree with this recommendation. You can always get SPQR once you are sure you're into the period.

You might also consider Simple GBoH as an intro to the series, it gets rid of some of the rules to speed up the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.