Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runequest is currently being published under license by Mongoose Publishing (www.mongoosepublishing.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dave vicks wrote:
Anyone know what is the status of the Avalon Hill game

Runquest?

Assuming you do mean RuneQuest, it was never Avalon Hills in the first place. They printed and distributed the 3rd edition, but it always belonged to Greg Stafford, and through him to Chaosium and lately Issaries, his game companies. Games Workshop distributed it in the UK too, licensed from AH.

Chaosium retain the rights to, and use of, the game system, Basic RolePlaying, and variants thereof in their Call of Cthulhu and Eternal Champion RPGs. Greg Stafford has now moved on to a different game system for the more recent HeroQuest (a name created for a development of RuneQuest many years before the boardgame of the same name - but the boardgame saw print long before the RPG, which now bears no resemblance whatsoever to RuneQuest!). He retains the rights to the name RuneQuest, and to everything in the RuneQuest basic setting, the world of Glorantha.

The current RuneQuest has been developed by Mongoose to be like Basic RolePlaying (the old RuneQuest system), but not so like it as to infringe on Chaosium's rights. They're using it for a few different settings now, including Glorantha in the 2nd age (centuries before HeroQuest and the old RuneQuest setting), Hawkmoon, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Assuming you do mean RuneQuest, it was never Avalon Hills in the first place...

Honestly, we didn't need the history of RuneQuest's ownership and distribution. Personally, I don't care who actually is receiving the royalty checks. I simply associate RuneQuest with Chaosium, Avalon Hill, and now Mongoose Publishing. That's really all I need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation, Wulf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruinquest...I love it!

Come on you Game Designers...here is the kernel of a great idea for a board game that takes the mickey out of adventure style games!

Just don't use Munchkin as a blueprint.

Of course somewhere a Designer is cursing his bad luck as he has spent the last 8 years working on this top secret project and now fears someone else will get it to market before he is finished. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted a day or so ago my overview/review of RuinsWorld? That close enough?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18372

Theres also an anime called Ruins Explorers. heh-heh...

As for Runequest. Yes its still kicking and yes, it does have a slightly sordid history. Part and parcel of the RPG biz.

Omega

Neil Thomson wrote:
Ruinquest...I love it!

Come on you Game Designers...here is the kernel of a great idea for a board game that takes the mickey out of adventure style games!

Just don't use Munchkin as a blueprint.

Of course somewhere a Designer is cursing his bad luck as he has spent the last 8 years working on this top secret project and now fears someone else will get it to market before he is finished. :shake:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to satirise the repetitive 'enter room, kill monster, take treasure' you could call it RoomQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, if I could Mr Perlman's agent to return my calls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.