Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What material are the CC:E maps made from? Are they cardboard or paper? Also, how well (or not) do they stand after repeated plays (50 times or so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
What material are the CC:E maps made from? Are they cardboard or paper? Also, how well (or not) do they stand after repeated plays (50 times or so).

They're heavy paper/light cardstock. I've not had >50 plays of the game, and certainly not on a single map, but they're holding up well, so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern is with the constant folding/unfolding of the map, that it will break easily at the folding areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
My main concern is with the constant folding/unfolding of the map, that it will break easily at the folding areas.

Wear and tear of this kind is essentially inevitable on maps as thin as those in CC. I'm seeing some early signs in my set after some 100 plays. I found myself wondering how long it'd be before I suffered my first map casualty as you suggest. I certainly play often enough for this to be a live issue for me.

Meanwhile, a lot of people cover their maps with a sheet of perspex to deal with this issue. I don't, so there's nothing I can add on that topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I have an artist's portfolio and store the maps unfolded in that so as to avoid constant folding and unfolding. Yes, this is an extra item to carry, but with both CC:E/Med - trying to combine as much as possible. I have all my maps in the one portfolio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've followed Richards lead and purchased a portfolio, the maps and record track go in and never have to be folded again. Great system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use a portfolio to carry the CC maps and track displays. Also useful for larger maps from other games, having to only fold them once to store them. As a bonus, the front of my new portfolio has a small pocket perfectly sized for rulebooks and player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you guys buying these portfolios from? I am no artist, so I have an idea of what they look like, but have no idea of how the size, materials and all that measure up.

Does the portfolio inside have multiple pockets or flats so you can store all of your maps from CC and other games in it? I have so many games with paper maps...some I have laminated, but that was a mistake in the long run. Better using plexiglass. I definitely need another HotS map now

The thing that sucks with the plexiglass is that it is still very possible to damage the map from a drink spill. I have relegated drinks to other tables, but half of the problem is that someone spills the thing when they are lifting it to drink, while drinking, or while putting it down.

Anyone built a plexiglass pocket that you can slide your maps into? Maybe with a clear plastic flap to cover the entry hole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many different sizes of portfolios, Kevin, each with different extras such as inside pockets, carrying handle, shoulder strap, zippers instead of snapping fold-overs, etc. For about $10 you can buy a no-frills 18" x 24" carrying case that would work just fine. Or you can go bigger/better and spend upwards of $100. Cheaper ones will usually be made of thick cardstock-like material; more expensive ones will be leather, canvas or heavy fabric.

You can find them at fabric/craft stores, framing shops, art supply stores, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
United States
Elkins Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portfolios sound like an excellent idea. For Combat Commander: Europe I've been using an 18" x 24" frame from a craft store that was on sale for $10! The only problem is the plastic edging that keeps coming off the more that I use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Herro
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:

The thing that sucks with the plexiglass is that it is still very possible to damage the map from a drink spill. I have relegated drinks to other tables, but half of the problem is that someone spills the thing when they are lifting it to drink, while drinking, or while putting it down.

I recommend tippy cups.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a portfolio for maps of other games too, such axis and alies minis, and don't need to fold/unfold. Its a very practical idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.