Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtime can be a drag. For such a fun game, it would be a shame if people stayed away from it for fear of downtime. Here are some suggestions to help decrease the dreaded "D" word:

1. Have parties attack crypts SIMULTANEOUSLY. If a party is on the crypt door, or is about to get to the door (announce you are going to the crypt - this is a BINDING announcement), allow for all crypts to be entered at once. All battles are resolved ONE ROUND AT A TIME, in player order.

2. Have parties that are not involved in the crypt as raiding party or as CM roll the dice for the CM. This is kind of fun, and at least gives the other parties something to do.

3. Parties that are not in the crypt, and are in the inn, can recruit while battles are taking place.

4. Do NOT put 20 characters in the inn at once. Instead of drawing 5 characters, draw 3, and pick one. Keep the character choices low.

5. Move to next turn while players are recruiting.

6. Use random selection for recruiting, such as draw 3 from bag, pick 1, for your turn.

PLEASE PLEASE POST MORE IDEAS TO REDUCE DOWNTIME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this almost identical suggestion a couple of weeks ago.

Another one I have recommended in 5-6 player games is to start the game by allowing all players to pick 2 heroes to start. We noticed that %99 of the time folks choose recruit as their action on turn 2, so we just skip right forward to turn three basically and allow two starting characters per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1) Randomly seed the crypts at the start. True, a tactical element is removed but could still be ok.

2) While a player is raiding a crypt, all subsequent players can take their turn. If another crypt raid then occurs (while the first raid is still being resolved), get a player who has downtime to be the CM. Repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The acrobatics apparently needed to keep downtime to an acceptable level is worrisome. This thread has increased my wariness about the game. It has now slipped down to try before I buy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call our minor tweaks "acrobatics". Makes it sound like we are going to great lengths to contort the game to be playable, and that's simply exaggerating the case. Like I have mentioned before, these are suggestions for what players (who so desire) can do to reduce downtime in a 5-6 player game. With 4 or less I wouldn't even see a need for any tweaking.

Look at it this way: Whenever we have taken this game out EVERYBODY wants to play. The game is popular. If it was a miserable experience, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, because we would not have as many players wanting to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but it seems like the majority of game time is spent doing the following:

1. Initial setup of the crypts
2. Recruiting characters
3. Raiding Crypts

If you don't like the setup time, just setup the crypts randomly.

There are already some good suggestions for the Recruitment. Here is another option I thought of:

Each player draws 5 and keeps 2 for their starting characters. Then they put 2 into the inn, and the other 1 back into the bag.

From this point on, there will be a # of characters to recruit equal to 2 times the # of players. Whenever a character is recruited, a replacement is drawn from the bag. New characters are not added to the inn after a character dies.

The only problem with this is some people might complain when they recruit, and then a really good character gets pulled for the next guy.

I don't know enough about the Crypt cards to comment on making the raids faster. There probably isn't much you can do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
The acrobatics apparently needed to keep downtime to an acceptable level is worrisome. This thread has increased my wariness about the game. It has now slipped down to try before I buy...

You should definitely try before you buy. There is no way to curtail the downtime with the official rules. I found it best to play with 3 or maybe 4 players and leave it at that. Downtime and rules confusion are the two main weaknesses of this game. The latter is generally a problem for games with loads of card combinations. The former is a bit of old-school design which is the bane and boon of games like this.

Still love it, however!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
After seeding the crypts the most significant downtime occurs when a player is recruiting. We simply let the next player go (which appears a common thread.)

Maybe its just our group, but the downtime was not an isuse, even when a player is raiding a crypt. Raids go fairly quickly, and our players are all tuned in to the happenings...as it impacts their victory chances.

One minor thing we did with characters is organizing them by class in the inn. A small issue, but helps the churn of someone looking for their cleric.

Downtime in this game is nothing compared to a game like WoW: TBG or some of the more complex strategy games out there. Plays fast in IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious because I was really attracted to this game due to the 1hr playing time which is suggested.

If there are complaints of downtime in a 1hr game then just how much of that hour are you actually playing?

How long does a turn take?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
I'm curious because I was really attracted to this game due to the 1hr playing time which is suggested.

If there are complaints of downtime in a 1hr game then just how much of that hour are you actually playing?

How long does a turn take?

Thanks in advance.

David,

I think 60 minutes may have been a stretch. You could do this theoretically, but I think you'd be rushing. I think 90 minutes is a quick game. 2 hours is probably the norm for 3-4 players.

For a 2 player game, there is ZERO downtime. Because you are either raiding a crypt, or playing CM (crypt master), you always have something to do. And CM isn't just a dice roller. There are MANY cards and abilities which give the CM things to do with his own party. For example, one card allows the CM to add a character from his OWN party to the crypt, and if his character survives, he is fully healed. CM's can move treasures around, add creatures to crypts, and more, so it is a fun and tactical part of the game.

Turns are generally very fast. You can choose to heal (30 second turn), move (15 second turn), raid a crypt - probably 2-3 minutes on average, or recruit a character (this can take the most time, but with two parties, it won't happen THAT often). I like the option of reducing characters in the inn so that you don't hunt for the perfect character.

In a 3 player game, since you are either raiding, or playing CM, you are definitely playing 2/3 of the time. However, like other people have posted, I like watching other people battle. It's fun, and you can certainly have a good time with it, especially if you want the other party to lose. I recommend letting the down party roll the dice for the CM, and he won't be bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:

60 minutes is just what the manufacturer printed on the box. It doesn't seem that most BGG posters consider it very realiatic. Frankly, I probably would't be interested if it were only 60 minutes. It seems like you would have to take out too many choices to get through a game of this style in that length of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, the idea of a quick dungeon crawler sounded appealing and unrealistic. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players, 3 and a half hours, gave up rather than finished, most of us were bored by then and wish it had finished a lot earlier. We'll have house rules in place before we play again, but we will play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheldon
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agrre with Paul's comments, the game drags with 5 players, too much downtime between turns particularly as regards the larger crypts and set up time too long. However just finished a two player game, randomly dealt cards to crypts and selected our party by selecting 3 characters from 5 and then creating an inn pool of 10. Then carried on as per rules with the option to stay in the inn and recruit further etc. Finished game in approx 1hr 20mins. Personally I think this game would scale best with 3 to add a little more of a competitive edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first two games played with my girlfriend, we used the basic side and finished both games in a total of four and a half hours! The second was brutal, as our parties kept getting killed off by strong monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First game was 3 hours with 5 players and then we quit before finishing (too much to learn on the first go through). That was with random setup.

The second game was also 3 hours, but we finished the game. This was on the advanced side of the board with non-random setup. Now 4 of us had played CCG's (L5R) before but the 5th had no such background and she actually ended up winning.

The biggest time sinks were 1st turn recruiting, and playing targeted kill actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.