Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Orr
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Around my gaming table, it rarely gets better than Plunder. I know that I speak for many a gamer when I say that this game is very near the top of the list when we get together, and as far as pirate games go, Plunder is the "Cadillac."

Recently, during a particularly piratey session, we were discussing the many uses an expansion could provide. The posibilities are endless, and my friends and I (educators, engineers, architects, programmers, and military men) even worked out a few cards that would keep the integrity and balance of the game while adding a crisp freshness to the good ol' pirate life.

I know there had been talk of another printing using some of the incorporated rules Karl posted. However, after reading the forums it sounds like our favorite buccaneer game may well be finally dead.

So we talked.

My Point: Do you know if the game designers would be interested in implementing another printing and an expansion if investment capital was readily available? There are a few of us that would be interested in becoming investors in such a project, were it to be considered. We don't know if this is even possible, but we were seriously kicking around the idea and thought we would put it out there. The chances are probably slim to none that it could ever be put in motion, and I am sure the legal details would be enough to drown in, but there it is.

We just don't want our favorite game to rest in Davy Jones's Locker. We would rather see it grow and expand.

Thanks for listening and not laughing me off of the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Corbin
United States
Unspecified
Georgia
flag msg tools
James,
This is really a Karl question since I have no idea what legal agreements he has with Laughing Pan. I am glad you enjoy Plunder as much as I do. It was one of the funnest games I ever had the chance to playtest. I still play it on a regular basis and would love to see the expansion be a reality as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. Plunder is probably the best pirate game available and it gets very little respect around my parts.

I can only imagine how great Plunder would be after a rules overhaul incorporating all of the refinements gathered over the past few years. Add to that a re-issue (ideally by a well known publisher) in a normal game box with updated full-color illustrations (Jamaica anyone?). Wow.

But really, the rules are the critical piece. Their disarray is why Plunder is warily suggested as a play choice in my group (of 150 gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very recently got to play this for the first time. It's wonderful. It really is, as Steve's said, just like playing Sid Meier's Pirates. I would love to see the expansion come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tripp. Hopefully Karl will check the post or maybe even send a personal message. It is only a dream right now, but, hey: it is a dream that could be backed by financial teeth.

Thanks for your input.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lepp
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for all the kind words - they are much appreciated by Julie and I both! We had many ideas for better presentation and organization in a 2nd printing, which have gone up like so much rum in a beacon fire...

We have contacted the remaining owners of Laughing Pan Productions a few times about some options to allow further development/support of Plunder, but so far we are unaware of any action by LPP. I hope you do not mind if I use this post as a reason to try once again!

arrrh
Karl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Karl,

Please use the post. We here would love to see the game continue and even progress.

Let us know what can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do. Plunder is just too good to let drift on the open sea. We're getting a game of it together tomorrow in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too will add my voice to the pleading chorus. This is in my opinion the best pirate game out there that doesn't take long to play. Better components would skyrocket this one to popularity indeed, but nothing would be better than an official overhaul of the rules, which took a while for me to make them work.

And nice to see you commenting on it, Skadar. Haha, I'm glad I got somebody else hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leslie
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to throw my support in here as well. This game gets brought out more reliably than any other when either my family or coworkers are in a group gaming mood, and I have yet to ever play a "bad" game, even when I lose horribly.

Plunder deserves much better than the world has given it. I would be thrilled to see it given a second chance. A reprint, an expansion or even the once-planned PDF rule revision posted to BGG would all be occasions for celebration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right you Aaarre ! I haven't even bought the game yet but the only thing holding me back is the comments on BGG on the quality of the components, especially the ships.
I'll probably buy it anyway but would be fantastic to know I was investing in a game that had an expansion on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Right you Aaarre ! I haven't even bought the game yet but the only thing holding me back is the comments on BGG on the quality of the components, especially the ships.
I'll probably buy it anyway but would be fantastic to know I was investing in a game that had an expansion on the way.

The ships are fine, the cards are great, and it all fits into a tiny package. Space-to-fun ratio on this game is very high.

Not buying this because of the cardboard ships is like not buying a Ferrari because you don't like red.

If the ships really, really bug you, you could always spend a few pennies on some ships from Pirates of the Spanish Main, which will not only suit the flavor of the game, but also collapse flat for storage in the original game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, when this first came out i grabbed a copy. If there was ever a game ripe for expansions this is it. Simply colour code the cards so the expansions can be added or removed at will. Expansions could also be themed. Please someone rescue this game from the deep !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lepp
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
I know it's been months since I last posted about the status of Plunder, but I've been quietly trying to get LPP to work with me through all this time.

I have found out that they did print a second run of the game, with the rules in booklet format (however, not truly re-written/edited), and with a slightly larger box - some photos of which can be found on the 'geek (which is how I first found out about the second run). However, LPP does not currently offer any for sale, and apparently has no plans/support to do so.

I've tried to help with Plunder the best I can, but unfortunately can help no further. In better news, now that my kids are past their toddler years, I have three other games nearing design completion, and should have them submitted to established publishers before the end of 2009!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps the slight redesign, would allow you to take it to another publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leslie
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, Laughing Pan doesn't even exist anymore. Their website appears to be defunct, and I can't find any references to them as an active company or publisher of any product.

If that's true, it might(?) be feasible for Karl to finally reclaim the rights to Plunder and do whatever he wants with it - if, in fact, he still wants to do anything with it at all.

Just idle speculation, of course, but one holds out hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep looking and looking for some sign of life to this game but it does not look like it is going to happen. I still have my original version and really wish that there were expansions. So much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leslie
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This is still my favorite pirate themed game, after all these years. It's just a crime that it didn't get a reprint and a wider audience - or a digital version. I think it would play extremely well online on a tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.