Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ordered a copy of Stone Age from a less-than-reputable online seller. (Names WILL be named later if my suspicion turns out to be correct, but not before I find that out.) So the question is, oddly enough, does the box insert come assembled? I suspect that I may have gotten an opened-then-reshrinkwrapped game, but I am not sure. My box insert is mostly assembled, with only the last cross-piece needing to be put in. As it is now, it's impossible for the cardboard sheets to fit in the box. (This led to the lid being pushed up, bending it a bit and bending the rules as well.) This makes me think that this is NOT how RGG shipped it out. Am I right on this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
The lid is definitely pushed up in shipped copies. Dunno about the insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The insert is not pre-assembled. What you have is a copy from the first print run. After punching tiles, the insert is a little too high to accomodate the boards without the box top sitting above the box bottom.

I believe a second printing is just entering shops which might correct this problem.

Solutions for you? Either adjust the insert - there was an article here about this, but I can't find it. Or toss the insert.

(edit: found the article)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the game too... from perhaps the same place... and it arrived the same way. That's normal, as hard as it is to believe. Just toss out the insert (after all they were kind enough to include baggies) or if you're particularily industrious, alter the insert with an exacto knife. There's a thread with step by step instructions here on BGG. I'm probably going to give that a go and if it doesn't work out... goodbye insert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at this game at one of our FLGSs this past weekend and the lid was really bulging a lot and wasn't closed all the way—but it was shrink-wrapped.

I assumed someone had opened it, crammed everything back in there all half-assed, then re-shrink-wrapped it, but now it seems, according to your post and others, that RGG is shipping it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
This makes me think that this is NOT how RGG shipped it out. Am I right on this one?
I don't think you are right, every shrink wrapped copy I saw in June was like that. The box lid still doesn't fit properly after ditching the sprues. I haven't bothered with surgery on the insert yet, but one day when I am feeling bored...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion in the past about when it is important for the lid to fit tightly - when the game is packed for sale, or after it has been opened and punched.

Several industrious vendors do seem to have taken this to heart and actually design boxes that fit the punched game rather than just the unpunched game.

Not sure if that is what is happening here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the key reasons this one doesn't close properly is because the insert is too high to allow the player boards and main board to sit flush with the top of the box bottom. It is also because of the large leather dice cup - which is also slightly too large for the insert unless squashed slightly. So - insert to tall for the boards, too short for the cup, but nicely in between the two = a box lid that sits up higher than it should.

I like the dice cup so can live with the box lid not sitting properly, and I believe my copy came with a semi-assembled insert too

Cheers - here's hoping you enjoy the game, it's becoming a favourite of mine.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chistopher Frazier
United States
Barnegat
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Just another vote to say that is how it is shipped by RGG. The box does not sit flush and the middle insert it sitting on top of the main insert mixed in with the directions, etc. It does look pre-opened but it sounds like you got an unopened copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, then. Thanks for the replies. At least now I can be annoyed at the right person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My box insert is mostly assembled, with only the last cross-piece needing to be put in. As it is now, it's impossible for the cardboard sheets to fit in the box. (This led to the lid being pushed up, bending it a bit and bending the rules as well.) This makes me think that this is NOT how RGG shipped it out. Am I right on this one?

No, you are wrong. I got my copy just today, and the insert comes exactly the way you describe. Yes, the box lid is awfully pushed up, and even after you punch the components it will not close properly, but it is not so bad then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the most recent second printing (the one with the larger, higher box). The insert is NOT pre-assembled...you have to punch it out and then insert it yourself. Sounds like you got the 1st printing version....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.