Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael casey
Australia
Blue Mountains
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you run out of money, it does not seem fair that you can choose to take the zero tile.

We play you have to have no money and no points to take the zero tile.

So if you have 4 points and the 3 tile is avaiable you go back to 1 point and take it. Next turn if the 1 tile is not available you can take the zero tile, as taking anything else would take your score below zero.

This simple rule change makes winning with no money alot harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may already be aware, but I will reiterate it:

Did you know you cannot take the zero cost tile unless it is the last tile of that color available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Did you know you cannot take the zero cost tile unless it is the last tile of that color available?
But if you have no money, you are allowed to take the zero tile regardless (even if you have points you could convert into money 1:1)

Michael's suggestion is to force the player to convert points to buy a tile instead of granting them the free zero tile....

To be honest I can't say we've ever had a situation where someone has run out of money, but I guess there might be a strategy to doing it that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the additional penalty is necessary. Being forced to take the 0 tile isn't exactly a good thing and if you're playing with the advanced rules it means you'll never get a special tile either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been in the no money situation a few times intentionally to take advantage of this. It was never good.

It may seem like a benefit or even a valid strategy, but in my experience, no money is bad. Very bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael casey
Australia
Blue Mountains
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried the no money strategy. (Basic game)

Scored 87 and won by a long, long way.

That is why we made the rule change.

I used my money early to get boats (with points on them) and warriors.

In the big round scored points from the boats and was protected to boot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Simpson
England
Brighton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
UKf2fDip.org - supporting Face to Face Diplomacy in the UK
badge
Yes, it's very dark isn't it? Almost... black. Yes, I shall need to get the black out. Black.... BLACK!!! Like The darkness of space that leads into the chasm of clams.... My eyes!! My eyes are pies..and yours are lies...
mbmbmbmbmb
micklizzy wrote:

Seems valid to me! If you get a lead early on at the cost of all your money and no-one else can exploit their financial advantage over you in the rest of the game to peg you back, then you deserved to win.

Sounds like you are ready for the advanced game, which adds rewards for players who spend plenty of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. You may get stuff for free, but you're stuck with whatever color viking is there and, even worse, you have to hope that you can actually use the island pieces you get. Sure, the stars will align and this will pay off at times, but it's not a strategy that makes much sense to me over repeated plays. If you DO manage to win this way, the other players can only blame themselves since they have the power to make you take the viking/island that they want you to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
micklizzy wrote:
I have tried the no money strategy. (Basic game)

Scored 87 and won by a long, long way.

That is why we made the rule change.

In the big round scored points from the boats and was protected to boot!

I'm willing to bet this could work on occasion (and may be more effective in a 2-player format), but as someone who has played this game a bunch now (almost exclusively in 3-player games) . . . I love to see another player run out of money. As soon as they are out of cash, I essentially know what they have to do on their turn (unless they want to cash out VPs). And that's one less person that I know I have to "push my luck" against when deciding whether to reach (and pay) for a Viking/tile combo. Makes my job much, much easier.

Would be very interested to hear if this strategy works over time for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sal ubrious
Canada
flag msg tools
Grimwold wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

But if you have no money, you are allowed to take the zero tile regardless (even if you have points you could convert into money 1:1)

Michael's suggestion is to force the player to convert points to buy a tile instead of granting them the free zero tile....

To be honest I can't say we've ever had a situation where someone has run out of money, but I guess there might be a strategy to doing it that way...

When i play i often run out of money. There is a rule though where you can use victory points as money, but what im saying is, often getting the zero tile is better than paying victory points for items.

The reason i run out of money is because of this strategy:
What i do is i buy all the ships and knights i can and leave the crappy tiles to my buddy, but then when im out of money i take the zero tile which is often good by that point.

Lot's of people think ships are bad! I disagree i think if you build up your knights and use ships you get a huge income. Plus if you buy boats and knights you get alot of boatsmen.

If you had to pay points whenever you ever ran out of money your sure to lose that's why i use the zero tile rule, where you can get it for free, and you know what sometimes you can get it for free anyways, but what im saying is almost more than half the time i pick up the zero tile. Heck, sometimes it is bad, and when that happens i pay VP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.