Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared A
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my good friends came over on Monday for a day of gaming and we had a great time. We started off with Arkham Horror and then I suggested we try Twilight Imperium with three since he and I played a 4-player game with a couple of our other friends and had a blast.

We went ahead and picked out races since there was only three of us (my friend, my wife, and myself). Johnny grabbed the Universities of Jol-Nar, Steph took the L1Z1X Mindnet, and I went with the Barony of Letnev.

The game started off pretty smooth as it usually does. We all began conquering neighboring planets for their resources in order to begin building up our armies. My Secret Objective card ended up requiring that I have all 5 of my Dreadnoughts and all three Space Docks on the board along with controlling Mecatol Rex, so I quickly started cranking out Dreadnoughts and when I expanded to the two outside systems, I built Space Dock's there as well.

Steph pretty much started turtling when she realized she could not obtain her Secret Objective which required that she capture a number of systems so that she has at least one system in each of the technology specialties. There weren't any yellow technology specialties on the board. We suggested she take another objective but apparently she decided not to.

The Jol-Narians pretty much stayed in their own area most of the game, and we formed a a trade alliance with each other as well. The L1Z1X, however, refused our transmissions to obtain trade agreements.

The game pretty much continued in this manner for a while until I captured Mecatol and swarmed over it with several ships. I ended up fulfilling my Secret Objective though, so I was going to pull out and then focus on knocking out the Public Objectives which including having a technology in each of the various specialties, spending 10 resources, and holding Mecatol for a full turn.

Johnny ended up building two War Suns and then came out of nowhere with the Jol-Nar, playing an action card which allowed him to whip past a system and move two spaces and into Mecatol. He pretty much obliterated my fleet, and I only ended up getting two hits off, one of which only damaged a Dreadnought. He was unable to take Mecatol, however, because he did not take any ground troops with him. I ended up holding Mecatol and so grabbed that public objective card.

Steph on the other hand, kept grabbing that blasted Imperial card round after round which I just ignored. I told her I wouldn't take it because it was pretty cheap, but she didn't care. =)

From here, Johnny grabbed Mecatol, however I had obtained my Secret Objective and the Public Objective so I did not need it any longer. Steph kept taking that Imperial card, and again, we just kept letting her take it.

It came down to the wire when Steph obtained one of every technology to qualify for that Public Objective and grabbed the Imperial card yet again when she was at 7 victory points. Johnny and I lagged terribly behind at 2 and 4 victory points respectively. That was pretty much the game at that point. We played out the round with Johnny delaying and delaying to try to get Steph to quit from boredom (it didn't work).

The Imperial card was simply not an issue the last game Johnny and I played. I took it a couple times but recognized how cheap it was and stopped. Of course, we never finished that game, but after this one I certainly learned how overpowered it is if someone keeps taking it. Sure, you can prevent them by taking it yourself, but whats the fun in free victory points? Next time we play we are going to house-rule it down to one victory point and probably say that the same person cannot take it twice in a row.

Despite this the three of us had a pretty fun time, and I look forward to pulling this out next month to get a full 6-player game in with my buddies up at the cabin.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't any yellow tech systems (except for one in the expansion.) The objective card only requires you to take red, blue, and green tech specialties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared A
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad, I believe the card required two of each specialty when there was only one red on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbajabba wrote:
My bad, I believe the card required two of each specialty when there was only one red on the board.

Yeah those types of objectives don't scale to small games with small systems. They should be marked "4+" for number of players or something. I think there is a farming game that does that for powerful cards.

Oh, and if you have played this more than once in a year you really should get the expansion. It gets rid of that lame Imperial card and adds all sorts of good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared A
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ah! That explains it.

Yeap, that's what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John L
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is a rule (or possibly just common practice) to discard any Secret Objective that is impossible to fulfill after the board is set up. The player may then draw a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared A
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, thanks I'll probably do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. I do love this game.

You can see by the scores the effects of the ISC. If you play with the vanilla ISC all players should be taking it when its "their chance". One player should not be getting the ISC two or more times in a row. It seems "cheap" but it really must be played that way.

Saying that... i suggest using the ISC II(from the SE expansion) along with the age of empire variant. Or if you buy the expansion use the core SE strategy cards instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.