Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally write session reports, but I had a unique experience gaming last night and thought I would share it.

If you've read my review, you know that Amyitis is one of my favorite games. Not so for my wife. She excells at this type of optimizing game, but as of yet was always far behind me at the end. In our last game I got the banker 3, and the palace 6 and had doubled her score (past the 80) when she said she had enough. It was time to put Amyitis away for awhile. We moved across the country, and before we knew it more than 6 months had passed since we last played. After Agricola and Goa, it was finally time to dust the old girl off (Amyitis - not my wife).

We hopped into the game without so much as a glance at the rules and I began collecting resources and camels, quickly picking up my first plants. My wife, on the other hand, was busy positioning herself to pick up banker cards. When the first round was over, I said "okay, now we each get two coins (as per Caylus Magna Carta - another favorite of mine". WRONG!!! But I didnt catch on this round. Instead I spent those coins on more resources and camels to get more plants. I took an early lead, while my wife collected a banker card.

When the time came to start a new turn, I handed her two coins, plus the one from the banker and thought.... thats not right. So I looked in the rules, and of course they told me that the only way to get money was to have a banker card. So I gave her one and me.... none. how many did I have left? none.... uh oh. She spent the round getting her next banker card, while I got nothing.

Over the next few rounds I tried valiantly to collect the resources and camels I needed to aquire a banker card to have an income. But by now I was 2 steps behind in that race, and was only able to use 1 worker (for camels, or resources) and it wasnt until she was 12 or so points ahead, that I got my first banker card. By this time she had collected banker 3 (which I still think is a game breaker if not dealt with properly), and had begun to aquire palaces.

In the end I collected 6 plants to her 4. I still lost by almost double, with her past the 80. So history repeated itself, though not with the players in the same position.

the good news? now she wants to play again.

Jugg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
the1jugg wrote:
So I looked in the rules, and of course they told me that the only way to get money was to have a banker card.
Jugg

I've never played 2player game of this, but I'm sure you can get money by passing in time in 2player games too.
Btw the designer says it's possible to win without money, but maybe it's a bit more tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can pass, and then each time you would take a turn you get a coin. And, yes, you could play without money but you would only ever get 1 worker a turn (Assuming your opponent is smart enough to alway use up the other free worker). Both options makes it extremely tight, and unlikely for a win. But I'm sure the game was tested a lot, and that it is "possible" to win without money. Just not playing against my wife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1jugg wrote:
the good news? now she wants to play again.

Ah, I really need to adopt the "let her win" tactic more often. :-P Maybe then I could get my gf to like Agricola... Right now, my girl feels like her back's against the wall in Agricola. (I'm not really saying I thought you let her win.)

Always like to see your couples reviews, etc since I'm in a similar boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
megasycophant wrote:
Always like to see your couples reviews, etc since I'm in a similar boat.

Thanks for that. I might have to write up a few new ones. I hadn't gotten any feedback so I was taking a break.

and no, I did not let her win in this game. But I did learn that I keep her happiest when I play to win, rather than trying to stop her from winning, if you get my meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.