Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared A
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife first desired to pick this game up after hearing about it on the Dice Tower. One of her good friends was born and raised in Senegal, Africa, and her parents were missionaries, so Steph wanted to learn more about the country. It also sounded like a cool little game that played quickly and gave you a good return on your investment.

The Aim: The Aim in 10 Days in Africa is to "plan" a 10-day trip across Africa by drawing card-shaped tiles and setting them up on two wooden stands (one for days 1-5, and the other for days 6-10) in sequence so as to be able to move from the first country on day 1, to the last country on day 10. The first person to do this is the winner!

The Stuff: The components that you get in the box are of very high quality which should stand up to a high number of plays. The cards you get with it are made of thick cardboard and are printed in full color on both the front and back. On one side of each tile is a picture of a country colored in with blue, red, orange, or yellow. The board depicts the continent of Africa with each of the colored countries. You also get 8 wooden tile-holders to use to hide your cards and stand them up in each of their respective slots (day 1, day 2, etc...). The box also has a very pleasant wood smell from the stands that for me, just enhances the overall presentation of the game.

Setup:Setup is simple, you shuffle the tiles up and split them into three separate piles. The board is set in the middle of the table, with each player taking two of the wooden stands so they have days 1-10 facing then. Each player takes a turn drawing a tile to place in each of the 10 days on their stands. The players may place the tiles anywhere they wish on the stands which offers some limited strategy to try and get them set up so that their "trip" will be easier to complete.

After the players finish filling up their stands with 10 tiles in each of the days. The three piles are shuffled back into one large pile and the three top tiles are flipped over face-up to be chosen by the players.

Gameplay: Players take turns taking either one of the face-up tiles, or blindly grabbing the first tile on the top of the pile. After choosing one, the player can replace one of the tiles already on their stand, or they get place it face up on top of one of the three face-up cards. Their turn ends and the next player does the same.
This continues until one player completes a connected 10-day trip across Africa.

In order to 'connect' one country to another, the two countries must be adjacent to one another. It doesn't matter that they are not the same color so long as they are adjacent to where you could reach the country "on foot." There are ways around this, however, with the Car and the Plane. If you play a card tile, you can "drive" through one country to reach another so long as the two countries are the same color. It basically acts as a wild card. Finally you have the plane that allows you to connect two of the same color countries anywhere on the board. Very handy.

You complete your trip so long as you begin with a country and end with a country, and each are connected according to the rules.

That's pretty much it!

Conclusion: The game is a perfect fit between the amount of time it takes to play the game and the relative complexity of the game. It is a very simple game but it does not take long to play. My wife and I can knock out two or three games or more under a half hour or so. I try and rate games according to the complexity and length of the game coupled with overall fun factor. It doesn't seem fair to compare a complex, lengthy game such as Twilight Imperium 3 with a simple, short game such as 10 Days in Africa because while they are both games, they are worlds apart.

I definitely recommend picking this one up if you have young kids or would like a fun game to play with your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend that plays in a short period of time.

4.0/5 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has probably been the biggest hit among my non-gamer relatives.

Abbajabba wrote:
There are ways around this, however, with the Car and the Plane. If you play a card tile, you can "drive" through one country to reach another so long as the two countries are the same color. It basically acts as a wild card.

Minor correction: Country colors are irrelevant when driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.